WW2 BAD-T 2 - BDA AI Dogfight Tournament [SEMIFINALS]

tetryds

3 hours ago, DoctorDavinci said:

Took me a good 3 weeks of tweaking the Bad Company to see how she responds to slight changes in settings (both AI Pilot and control surface settings).

Learning how FAR works has been an experience and a half ... I thought I had a good grasp of aerodynamics but have learned so much just from screwin' around in Kerbal.

Yeah, Wanderfound's contest taught me a lot - things you don't realise just building spaceplanes or just messing around up to then. Most of which I promptly forgot I think ( hence no entry for this one! ).

Well, if anyone wants a bonus fight as a warmup for tonight's real one, here's another 12 mins of fight testing.

Edited by Van Disaster

As noone else posted it:

Well done on the test, Tetrydis.

And just for fun seeing as I didn't manage to enter, here's the pusher craft from the stream I posted earlier to use as a combat dummy: P.4.25

There's a P.4.26 already, so no big deal :P be interested to know how it gets on anyway.

So, which mode do you guys rather, with or without GUI?

In some cases it's impossible to go without but it really gets in the way IMO.

I will see if it's possible to turn on markers without GUI, I tried on 1.0.5 but it was not that simple so it wouldn't be worth my time to do it then, maybe for 1.1.

Another battle coming out tonight!

As always, I will leave it up to someone to post it because I will leave it uploading during the night.

By the way, I am using your airplanes to improve MAF, every airplane that I make flies the same, but your submissions are much more interesting testing candidates, also because each of them flies completely differently.

If you don't know what MAF is:

The plan is to release it to the public as soon after 1.1 officially releases.

Ah, and it already pilots a LOT better than on the video.

5 hours ago, DoctorDavinci said:

So the second battle for the BAD-T2 Second Tier is uploading ... You can watch it HERE

That was weird, half the damage was self-inflicted. The first song seemed quite fitting, though. I just spent the morning listening to The Andrew Sisters. We're doing a WW2 theme, after all.

2 hours ago, gridghost said:

And it's up

That was short. Both planes seemed to perform well, though.

I had a better idea, I can simply increase FOV a bit and zoom into the video, this way I get the best of both worlds and can hide the vessel switcher better.

The mouse showing up sometimes was MAF, which I was testing, it didn't affect the battle in any way.

The framerate of the last battle was almost always above 35fps, often up to 45 with all four crafts at the screen, I wouldn't think clouds are that demanding.

I will still use it, just not always.

That is true, seems like the terrain takes a lot of CPU resources on the top of the memory leak mentioned before.

I am happy with the current settings and performance, so I will leave it as it is unless I have issues again.

6 hours ago, MarvinCZ said:

That was weird, half the damage was self-inflicted. The first song seemed quite fitting, though. I just spent the morning listening to The Andrew Sisters. We're doing a WW2 theme, after all.

Not necessarily self inflicted, more that the wings are weak on the Oscar 27 and they snap off while conducting a quick turn plus it has a problem staying stable in flight which makes it crash into the ground often

By the way, we are almost showing off all airfields! @SuicidalInsanity will post the maps pack as soon as that happens.

@alp3r despite that being a quick match, it was not an easy one.

After I run the normal battles I sometimes run aftermatches to try out stuff like messing around with the camera or just for fun.

And then you lost every aftermatch, which were around 4 rounds, but those are invalid, I was playing around with different dogfight camera positions.

So yeah, that was a close call, if your airplane took too long to kill an enemy or split you would be dead, the Hurles takes a while to pick up speed, then it becomes a beast.

@DoctorDavinci good job! It's awesome that you can run the tier 2 battles not log after the crafts are available :D

24 minutes ago, tetryds said:

@alp3r despite that being a quick match, it was not an easy one.

After I run the normal battles I sometimes run aftermatches to try out stuff like messing around with the camera or just for fun.

And then you lost every aftermatch, which were around 4 rounds, but those are invalid, I was playing around with different dogfight camera positions.

So yeah, that was a close call, if your airplane took too long to kill an enemy or split you would be dead, the Hurles takes a while to pick up speed, then it becomes a beast.

LOL, you sure know how to break someone's spirit.

No, lol, you won, your airplane is better.

I may have changed something on their AI too, I don't really keep track of what I do on these unofficial battles.

But it was mainly the AI being very dumb, remember this was the shortest match yet...

After extensive changes, I am now ready to say my design process closely mirrors that of World War 2 Germany...

Not fast enough to enter actual combat. ;.;

Anyways, we'll see how my beast of a machine does against @DoctorDavinci's Bad Company, even with all of it's flaws, which include the horrible habit of yawing into the ground.

Well I just realized I am late on my schedule, better hurry up.

The battles are surprisingly short and easy to edit, what takes longer is setting them up, which is still much faster than before.

I am late on a few things that I do so I will be putting some extra effort to get everything going.

Who needs sleep anyway?

On 2016-04-11 at 1:56 PM, tetryds said:

@DoctorDavinci good job! It's awesome that you can run the tier 2 battles not log after the crafts are available :D

Thanks, I do them as they come .... The last one was a little difficult as one of the planes was very nose heavy so I had a hard time getting the fight set up although I finally got it to work

20 hours ago, Bob_Saget54 said:

After extensive changes, I am now ready to say my design process closely mirrors that of World War 2 Germany...

Not fast enough to enter actual combat. ;.;

Anyways, we'll see how my beast of a machine does against @DoctorDavinci's Bad Company, even with all of it's flaws, which include the horrible habit of yawing into the ground.

Lol ... Your going up against a Canadian born German with a background in avionics and high end electronics manufacture (I also worked for SPAR Aerospace in the mid 90's :cool:)

Good luck ... me thinks you're gonna need it :wink:

48 minutes ago, DoctorDavinci said:

Thanks, I do them as they come .... The last one was a little difficult as one of the planes was very nose heavy so I had a hard time getting the fight set up although I finally got it to work

Lol ... Your going up against a Canadian born German with a background in avionics and high end electronics manufacture (I also worked for SPAR Aerospace in the mid 90's :cool:)

Good luck ... me thinks you're gonna need it :wink:

Wow, the senior Aerospace Engineer going up against the high school junior who wants to become an Aerospace Engineer. Talk about coincidence!

I don't really have high hopes for this version, but the next iteration of my plane works a lot better.

Also, @DoctorDavinci, care to share some experience when you get the chance?

Hey, do you think that it would be interested if I commented on aspects of the airplane that probably made it lose?

Some things are only noticeable when I pilot them, or check on the curves and derivatives, or even on the aftermatches, which would go unnoticed by the creators, mainly when fighting against yourself or piloting in a certain manner.

There was even a case with an airplane where I only really noticed a big issue with it when checking out how it flies with MAF, and explained a lot what happened on the match.

So, if you want, I can do this after I post a battle, it wouldn't take much time for me and it may help everyone to improve their designs.

I would only comment about the airplane which loses, but in the end there will be only one airplane which will pass so yeah :P

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.