Real world Kerbal aircraft

RizzoTheRat

22 minutes ago, Tex Mechs Robot said:

406b9bc2ccb44cc0a9d3c4a5d9878287.jpg

That's just a C-130.  (Okay... It's a C-130 with rockets)

If you want to Kerbal it up, go with Operation Credible Sport's YMC-130.
("... modified by the installation of 30 rockets in multiple sets: eight forward-pointed ASROC rocket motors mounted around the forward fuselage to stop the aircraft, eight downward-pointed Shrike rockets fuselage-mounted above the wheel wells to brake its descent, eight rearward-pointed MK-56 rockets (from the RIM-66 Standard missile) mounted on the lower rear fuselage for takeoff assist, two Shrikes mounted in pairs on wing pylons to correct yaw during takeoff transition, and two ASROCs mounted at the rear of the tail to prevent it from striking the ground from over-rotation.")

How about a proposed Shuttle transport aircraft, the Conroy Virtus:

Virtus_dropping_orbiter.png

z1lpxlj0sficg6aamdgm.jpg

Each of those lower fuselages is a B-52 Stratofortress.

Edited by razark

9 hours ago, Evanitis said:

Lovely thread.

And hey, I know a few too. But don't ask me what are these or how to get one for yourself.

<picture>

<picture>

<picture>

wow_airplane.jpg

<picture>

Um…you do know at least one of those is a photoshop hack, right?

9 hours ago, Tex Mechs Robot said:

Another one like this is the Boeing Dreamlifter which is a modified 747-400. It is used to transport complete fuselages for the 787 from suppliers to manufacturing facilities.

Boeing_747-400LCF_Dreamlifter.jpg

This land across the street from my office regularly (my company makes one of the fuselage sections); I don't think it's long enough to get the entire fuselage in at once.

10 hours ago, razark said:

If you want to Kerbal it up, go with Operation Credible Sport's YMC-130.
("... modified by the installation of 30 rockets in multiple sets: eight forward-pointed ASROC rocket motors mounted around the forward fuselage to stop the aircraft, eight downward-pointed Shrike rockets fuselage-mounted above the wheel wells to brake its descent, eight rearward-pointed MK-56 rockets (from the RIM-66 Standard missile) mounted on the lower rear fuselage for takeoff assist, two Shrikes mounted in pairs on wing pylons to correct yaw during takeoff transition, and two ASROCs mounted at the rear of the tail to prevent it from striking the ground from over-rotation.")

The perfect 5 point landing,  3 sets of undercarriage and both wing tips.

The twin body lifters of course have White Knight 2 to prove the concept

virgin_galactic_spaceshipone_white_knigh

10 hours ago, Tex Mechs Robot said:

I think these qualify:

crazy_plane_design.jpg

Do know what that is?  It's and interesting looking design.  Looks like it's using using a pair of automotive V8's and some kind of low speed contra roating prop.

Edited by RizzoTheRat

13 hours ago, Scientia1423 said:

Antonov_225_(2010).jpg

I think this is an example of a kerbal aircraft: half whale, flying apartment, it also is similar to the Stock Mallard!

I've been onboard the AN124, huge inside, with seating for 80 people upstairs.  Sadly I never got onboard the 225 when it visited to see just how much bigger that is.  250+ tonne payload is just crazy.

22 minutes ago, RizzoTheRat said:

I've been onboard the AN124, huge inside, with seating for 80 people upstairs.  Sadly I never got onboard the 225 when it visited to see just how much bigger that is.  250+ tonne payload is just crazy.

Nice detail: It is so huge the Wright Brothers first flight could have taken place inside the cargo area.

10 hours ago, Tex Mechs Robot said:

I think these qualify:

crazy_plane_design.jpg

Looks super cool.

Looks home-made.

Would like to hear what kind of noise it makes.

Super weird prop, did someone say "low-speed"?

That tail fin is *tiny*!

1 hour ago, nobodyhasthis2 said:

There a thread telling us canards cause unstable flight. So lets do something useful and use procedural wings off set to forward sweep to see what happens. Oh wait ....

X-29_in_Banked_Flight.jpg

The result being so unstable that it actually decreased manoeuvrability because they had to keep it in situations where the control surfaces could react fast enough maintain control :D

56 minutes ago, p1t1o said:

That tail fin is *tiny*!

from the position of the main gear I assume the CoM is way forward, so tthat long rear fuselage and cockpit should mean the centre of pressure is way behind the CoM, so the tail fin's only needed for a bit of steering input rather than for stability.

That French sub reminded me of the British M class, a 12" gun on a submarine.  Sadly the M1 sank with all hands after a collision with a ship ripped the gun off and flooded the sub, and M2 and M3 were withdrawn from service.

raznoe-014.jpg

The M2 was then modified with an aircraft hanger for a small seaplane...until it sank with all hands

British_Submarine_HMS_M2.jpg

The M3 was converted to a minelayer but scrapped as it turned out to be crap at it.

13 minutes ago, RizzoTheRat said:

from the position of the main gear I assume the CoM is way forward, so tthat long rear fuselage and cockpit should mean the centre of pressure is way behind the CoM, so the tail fin's only needed for a bit of steering input rather than for stability.

Excellent point!

14 hours ago, Tex Mechs Robot said:

I think these qualify:

crazy_plane_design.jpg

Aha.  "By the power of Google..."

RP-4 built by David Rose to attack propeller drive speed records.  So much for me thinking wide chord prop blades meant they were probably relatively slow, they're supposed to be supersonic at the tips.  Twin 2700BHP V8's, not linked together but each driving a different prop

Dave-Rose-RP4.jpg

Can't find anything recent on it though

Edited by RizzoTheRat

A twin-boom biplane? Hmm... needs a jet engine. And giant wing tanks for crop spraying.

Meet the M-15 Belphegor:

Mielec-M-15-Belphegor-3.jpg

zvxvgybsrxtccu5laqgf.jpg

But you bought two jet engines... what are you going to do with the other one?

Afterburning jet car!

Doug-Rose-3_lg.jpg

And that's before we even start installing mods that add new wings:

Edited by pizzaoverhead

2 hours ago, RizzoTheRat said:

Aha.  "By the power of Google..."

RP-4 built by David Rose to attack propeller drive speed records.  So much for me thinking wide chord prop blades meant they were probably relatively slow, they're supposed to be supersonic at the tips.  Twin 2700BHP V8's, not linked together but each driving a different prop

Dave-Rose-RP4.jpg

Looking for more info about the above (That thing is Loooooong! You weren't kidding about the CoM! And is that an F-16 canopy, or is it just me?) and came across these beauties:

McDonnell_XF-88B_in_flight.jpg

Basically an F-88 Voodoo with a turboprop. Yes it was supersonic.

Lockheed_XFV-1_on_ground_bw.jpg

"Salmon" Tailsitter

Convair_XFY-1_in_flight.jpg

"Pogo" Tailsitter

800px-77_F8F-2_Bearcat_%28N-777L%29_Rare

Fastest Piston-engined aircraft in the world @528mph, a heavily modified Grumman F8 Bearcat, Rare Bear

1 hour ago, RizzoTheRat said:

It does look like it doesn't it. I believe F-16 canopies are mandatory equipment in Unlimited Hydroplane racing so I guess they must be relatively easy to get hold of.

Apparently they are, 1 min of googling and i found 2 for sale, from private sellers ~$1200 new in-box.

Now, what cool thing can I do with one in my house?

And for extra points, what will my girlfriend let me do?

Edited by p1t1o

12 hours ago, RizzoTheRat said:

I think one of the developers took a peek at the aircraft and just had to add it in the form of the Mallard. Also by 2022 the 2nd antonov will be finished by then because the Russian/Ukrainian aerospace companies are planning to make it a flying launch vehicle; just as it once carried the (better than Shuttle) Buran on it's back. Which makes the plane even more kerbal.

Also, what are the measurements of the KSC2 strip?

Single bade is a really weird idea, I can't believe it really reduces the complexity of the rotorhead by a lot.

How about the Butterfly LLC Skycycle?  Designed to fit through a standard 7' garage door and ridden on the road powered by the rear wheels

super_sky_cycle2.jpg

then when you get to the airstrip fold out the rotor blades...

from-road-to-sky-in-motorcycle-gyroplane

So much want...

Slightly more practical than the Taylor Aerocar

1954Aerocar_01_700.jpg

1954Aerocar_02_700.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.