Real world Kerbal aircraft

RizzoTheRat

The Hughes XH-17 cropped up on another thread as being a real world aircraft that looks like a Kerbal designed it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHHTUPdwtvQ

Hughes_XH-17_with_cars.jpg

My other suggestions would be the Kaspian Sea Monster

CaspianSeaMonsterLoonPhoto.jpg

and the GeeBee

mKYiGTB.jpg

but there have been loads of really outlandish designs over the years, so what do people think is the most Kerbal real world aircraft that actually flew? 

2 hours ago, HebaruSan said:

0.90 aero ftw:

Maybe two or three weeks ago, I saw that thing.  Weird as pictures of it look, there's no way to compare to seeing the thing actually flying.

I submit the Hiller Pawnee:

Hiller_VZ-1_Pawnee_%282%29.jpg

Edited by razark

I know Kerbals are kind of pacific and all, but my two most Whiskey Tango Foxtrot aircraft flying things are from the Age of Contraptions :

1. The Convair B-36 Peacemaker : a heavy bomber using 4 jets and 6 propellers in a pusher configuration (an arrangement described as "four burning, six turning"), because, y’know, we don’t trust no stinkin’ jets.

Convair_B-36_Peacemaker.jpg

Erratic reliability led to the wisecrack, "two turning, two burning, two joking (sic), and two smoking, with two engines not accounted for".
The best is that this model was used to test an inflight nuclear reactor (NB-36H) : check the wiki, it’s awesome!

2. Project Pluto aka "The Flying Crowbar" is a doomsday weapon in the shape of nuclear ramjet cruise missile, using boosters to get to ramspeed. It was supposed to fly fast and low enough with an unshielded nuclear weapon to make it a deadly weapon (shockwaves, radiations and all that) even BEFORE releasing its nuclear payloads (yep, plural :D). Dr Strangelove would have been soooo happy.

fig0.jpg

The engineer's son has an awesome site about it : http://www.merkle.com/pluto/pluto.html
And wikipedia also provides quite a bunch of details : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Pluto

Edited by el_coyoto

17 minutes ago, el_coyoto said:

...project pluto...

Oh man, that has been one of my all-time favorite concepts for ages...I love that thing!

I also love the reason it doesnt exist - several times during the cold war, on both sides, weapons systems were concieved (and in cases, partway developed) and then at some point someone thought "Hang on, this is crazy we're going to blow up the world here!" and it gets cancelled. A more sober description of this is cancellation due to predicted "destabilising" effects, ie: the weapon is cancelled due to being too powerful :D (it will either trigger an attack by the enemy by its very existence or the enemy will invent an EVEN MORE deadly weapon). And who wants something even more deadly than Project Pluto in the hands of your enemy!

How Kerbal is that!

FYI:

It was the engine exhaust that produced fallout as it flew overhead, not the warheads (which are not overly radioactive, due to not being critical [yet]).

It flew so fast, so low, that it would have glowed cherry red.

The reactor and engine was built and tested.

The main reactor elements were manufactured by "Coors" - yes, the beer company. (The reactor elements were glass/ceramic, beer comes in bottles, thats the connection)

For another quite Kerbally cold war tech, and another of my all-time favorite things, google for the "Sprint" missile.

Fun fact: this one accelerated at 100Gs (Mach 10 in 3 seconds) went so fast in the lower atmosphere that it glowed *white* hot, in fact, an oxy-acetylene torch played over its nose [in flight, hypothetically] would have cooled it down. Special technologies had to be invented to communicate with the missile through its plasma-sheath (same thing that blacks out communications during re-entry) and exhaust plume.

sprint2.jpg

Edited by p1t1o

18 minutes ago, p1t1o said:

FYI:

It was the engine exhaust that produced fallout as it flew overhead, not the warheads (which are not overly radioactive, due to not being critical [yet]).

Yup, it's true that I was a bit succinct in describing its craziness, but that was my favorite "feature".
Also, thanks for reminding me of the Sprint missile, another fine piece of Cold War engineering at its best! :cool:

Edited by el_coyoto

Rizzo: That would have been a riot. A KSP clone of a real life KSP plane.

Evanitis: The last one would be the Goblin, if I'm not mistaking. A prototype interceptor that was supposed to hang under a large bomber for the ride, launch to intercept then hook up with the bomber. Only problem was air under a massive bomber in flight did not favour an already unstable fighter design. It also reminds me of one of the greatest mad ideas of early aerial adventures, the USS Macon with its fighters:

1912_28_05_09_10_56_54_1.jpg

1 hour ago, LN400 said:

Rizzo: That would have been a riot. A KSP clone of a real life KSP plane.

Evanitis: The last one would be the Goblin, if I'm not mistaking. A prototype interceptor that was supposed to hang under a large bomber for the ride, launch to intercept then hook up with the bomber. Only problem was air under a massive bomber in flight did not favour an already unstable fighter design. It also reminds me of one of the greatest mad ideas of early aerial adventures, the USS Macon with its fighters:

1912_28_05_09_10_56_54_1.jpg

The Goblin was carried inside one if the bays of the b-36 posted by El coyoto. I saw it st Wright-Patterson 20 years ago.

1 minute ago, Norcalplanner said:

The Goblin was carried inside one if the bays of the b-36 posted by El coyoto. I saw it st Wright-Patterson 20 years ago.

Ah! Thanks for the correction. My memory leaves a bit to be desired it seems.

5 minutes ago, RizzoTheRat said:

"Landing" looks interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g46q-RUkAmc

It wasn't supposed to land at all, but problems with turbulence between the two planes made more than one forced landing a neccessity. They finally developed a different parasite concept, but using an F-84(?) as a reconnaissance plane. They'd carry the fighter near a point of interest, release it to do some reconnaissance, recover it, and go back to base.

Also relevant: 

Dept. of "...And furthermore...":

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.