(STOCK) Soccer Stadium

Friends, Kerbals, countrymen, lend me your ears! Seeing as most Kerbals get rather annoyed of watching rockets explode for fun, (Mortimer hates it too!) I've decided to provide a *slightly* safer (and cheaper!) option for Kerbal recreation! A soccer/football (depending on where you live) stadium with seats for 90 kerbs! (You could probably fit twice as many if you crammed 'em in there!)

NOTES:

• 373 parts, so it's not potato-friendly. (I had to uninstall my custom skybox :()
  • Very wobbly, I had to omit struts to keep it from being totally unusable. This means it performs best on low-gravity worlds like Minmus.
  • Turns, but VERY VERY slowly, so don't plan on doing acrobatics.
  • Full stock, but if you wanted, you could Kerb-Paint the ground for realism.
  • DON'T try to launch this in a rocket! Explosions, both of the stadium and most computers.

Download at KERBAL-X!

So, thank you all for reading this text, and good luck!

Edited by Daeridanii
Now with more national names!

• 4 weeks later...
20 hours ago, NightHawk043 said:

Or strayan?

We call it both here in Aussie, but most people call it soccer yes. Except for the few who know what it should be called... :)

LOVE the stadium, absolutely awesome!! 

Happy Flying

YargJay9991

• 3 weeks later...

Very cool project, @Daeridanii, it looks great. I wonder if it could be strutted up and launched in 1.1. :) Time to grab that official world cup mod and give it a whirl! :D 

On another note, I wish people would think (and possibly educate themselves) before making a judgement about people based on the name they use for a given sport. The use of the term football is actually, technically speaking, imprecise, while being just as valid (or invalid) as American football being called football. In point of fact, the term football relates to the fact that it's a game played with a ball on foot, as opposed to on horseback or otherwise. Hence the various sports with football in their proper names, notably American Football, Rugby Football, Association Football. The term soccer is actually derived from Association Football, the proper name for 'football'/'futbol'/'soccer' -- 'Association' -> 'Assoccer' -> 'Soccer'. It being informally referred to as simply 'football' in many countries but not in the United States is a matter of prevalence. American Football has historically and is presently more popular in the United States and, accordingly, the term football is used most commonly to relate to that sport, soccer being used to relate to Association Football. Similarly, the reverse is true in countries that prefer Association Football. There's no right or wrong to it, no correct or incorrect word, it's all relative and people from any country might refer to the sport by either given term. I've met Europeans who call it soccer and know Americans who call it football.

Edited by Fallarnon

19 hours ago, Fallarnon said:

On another note, I wish people would think (and possibly educate themselves) before making a judgement about people based on the name they use for a given sport. The user of the term football is actually, technically speaking, imprecise, while being just as valid (or invalid) as American football being called football. In point of fact, the term football relates to the fact that it's a game played with a ball on foot, as opposed to on horseback or otherwise. Hence the various sports with football in their proper names, notably American Football, Rugby Football, Association Football. The term soccer is actually derived from Association Football, the proper name for 'football'/'futbol'/'soccer' -- 'Association' -> 'Assoccer' -> 'Soccer'. It being informally referred to as simply 'football' in many countries but not in the United States is a matter of prevalence. American Football has historically and is presently more popular in the United States and, accordingly, the term football is used most commonly to relate to that sport, soccer being used to relate to Association Football. Similarly, the reverse is true in countries that prefer Association Football. There's no right or wrong to it, no correct or incorrect word, it's all relative and people from any country might refer to the sport by either given term. I've met Europeans who call it soccer and know Americans who call it football.

You make a good point. However, habit will occasionally overrule intention - I realize now that the more logical part of the world call soccer/football the latter.

And, on another note, I will probably build a new stadium now that 1.1 has dropped - please don't rush me!

1 hour ago, Daeridanii said:

You make a good point. However, habit will occasionally overrule intention - I realize now that the more logical part of the world call soccer/football the latter.

And, on another note, I will probably build a new stadium now that 1.1 has dropped - please don't rush me!

Why is that the more logical part of the world? Technically speaking soccer is the more precise term as it eliminates and chance for confusion with other football games like Rugby Football so wouldn't that be the logical term? :P

Does this mean your stadium isn't loading properly in 1.1? :(

Edited by Fallarnon

15 hours ago, Fallarnon said:

17 hours ago, Daeridanii said:

Why is that the more logical part of the world? Technically speaking soccer is the more precise term as it eliminates and chance for confusion with other football games like Rugby Football so wouldn't that be the logical term? :P

Does this mean your stadium isn't loading properly in 1.1? :(

I haven't really tested whether it woks or not. And as for soccer vs football, you play it with your feet. However, soccer is a better determining term, as you said (typed?).

11 hours ago, Daeridanii said:

I haven't really tested whether it woks or not. And as for soccer vs football, you play it with your feet. However, soccer is a better determining term, as you said (typed?).

Ah but that's the misconception, the foot in football relates to the fact that it's played on your feet. :P

I'm gonna derp around in 1.1 some today, I'll let you know how it works out. :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.