where was YOUR first interplanetry land?

Parv Kerman

Eve.  Also my second landing, with a rescue ship.  And my third, with another rescue ship.  Then I started reading about Eve online.  Those Kerbals are still there back in my .20 save...

My first interplanetary landing was on Ike (career explore mission) and I managed to land on an ore patch without a survey.  I thought "this is cool, I'll fuel up, hop over to Duna, get the science and come home" .... this was a stock install with no mods so I didn't know how much TWR or DV I needed.  In the end I just made orbit and pushed all the way home with the EVA jetpack.  I think it took 6-8 hours IRL even with a lucky Mun assist.  Now I use Kerbal Engineer Redux and research new destinations.

My first was Ike orbiting Duna. 

I had a miscalculation that caused me to abort my landing on Duna when I failed to calculate the fact that Duna's atmosphere was MUCH thinner than I planned.  I couldnt slow down to land so I achieved orbit and landed on Ike... to refuel the craft. 

n85i5SR.jpg

First interplanetary landing was on Eve back in 18.4. Simplest probe you could imagine, Mk16 parachute and OKTO, with a few static solar panels and light science instruments (no heatshields necessary back then). Took no less than 4 nuke engines and a poodle to get it there. :P As I later discovered, it was more than capable of landing on *any* atmospheric body in the solar system, including Jool, actually.

Edited by GluttonyReaper

16 minutes ago, parv kerman said:

but you said  kerbin, right??

and that's not any other planet!!

well it is, because I was in the middle of space and the kerbals didnt know where they were so they went to this blue and green planet. :huh:

I went to Duna. 

It was an epic tale, which I feel inspired to tell you about now.

Spoiler

Circa 2013, version 0.18.
Look at that. That's a print screen copied to paint. Much noob,

Aa3lsmF.jpg

Dramatic pictures. 

7zku3h5.jpg

I still love the look of that lander. It had four cart mod rovers, which all died on me before too long, because of the vulnerable position of their mechjeb probe cores.

jCxV3AD.jpg

It was an epic mission. Bill, Danble, and Erbald set out to become the first kerbs to set foot on another planet. They lifted into the sky on a huge, shaky, asparagused pile of orange tanks and mainsails, and transferred and landed using a nuclear powered cruse stage. The photos took while "Inspecting" the debris are still some of my favourite screenshots ever. 

7mLPadQ.jpg

YSLnfnS.jpgWn4FJQK.jpg

However, someone had told me that returning from Duna was just like returning from the Mun. It was pretty apparent that this wouldn't be the case. So I waited for the next window, and planned an epic rescue mission....

PVoFlnp.png

Months into the "Extended mission" the rescue package arrived, bringing with it the Duna Explore-o-pod, and return transfer module. 

The Explore-o-pod, my first long range mobile mini-base, came with four improved mini rovers, and began an epic journey from the equatorial landing site to the northern ice cap.

TaVXBHW.pnglJ5sEdl.png

They faced many dangers, and made many discoveries, about the planet, and the power of camaraderie. 

jjplBDh.png

JbUycLJ.png

But the window was approaching. They turned tail, and returned to the lander-soon to be ascent vehicle. Transferred their film and samples, and prepared to return to orbit.
The explore-o-pod would be left on Duna. 

ue7x6Ez.png

The two stage ascent vehicle performed nominally, despite the many months of exposure to Dunian dust.  The leg tanks were dropped just outside the atmosphere. The main tank and engine were discarded after rendezvous, to make docking easier. 

The recovery module had been developed to make use of one jr. docking port, which had been slapped on to the side of the capsule for the heck of it. That part, added as a "maybe this will be useful, idk," ended up being critical for the return of these three astronauts. 

DqsJl93.jpg

Farewell Duna. 

z9jySaO.png

And they made it home. In one piece. 

vNGhFH0.png

I'm pretty sure Jeb's mission to Dres returned first. But they made it home! This concludes this epic tale. 

*Que epic ending music*

Edited by Tw1

Well, my first landing was unmanned, of course, since I wouldn't dream of sending my Kerbal heroes before we know what the h* we're doing.

And here it is, landing on Duna, providing extremely good information and feedback, amongst other things how limited a parachute is on Duna, due to the thin atmosphere.

screenshot301jg.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.