Blue Origin Thread (merged)

Aethon

3 minutes ago, insert_name said:

no, because that means it is controversial, and you might show it to someone to discuss it, leading to more ad revenue for youtube.

For what it counts if you see something pop up in your recommend videos you can select "Not Interested." It'll get rid of it.

Why would SpaceX withhold video footage? Are there certain trade secrets they don't want competitors getting hints of? For instance why is it we haven't gotten the full onboard ride footage on that booster? Why only the last seconds? What about the video from the barge? We only got a glimpse of that during the landing. They had no issue showing it on previous attempts.

Just now, Emperor of the Titan Squid said:

I don't get how they intend to make the core stage fly back to the launch site.

Check the video above, it already did :confused:

12 minutes ago, Motokid600 said:

Why would SpaceX withhold video footage? Are there certain trade secrets they don't want competitors getting hints of? For instance why is it we haven't gotten the full onboard ride footage on that booster? Why only the last seconds? What about the video from the barge? We only got a glimpse of that during the landing. They had no issue showing it on previous attempts.

My guess continues to be, they know more about it than us, there's probably a very good reason why they're not...

and if they're doing it right, we won't know that reason until they want us to.

Now if you'll excuse, I have a crinkle in my tinfoil hat...

18 minutes ago, Emperor of the Titan Squid said:

They don't. It makes no sense in terms of turnaround.

It takes 2 days to ship the stage back to Port Canaveral. It would take longer than that to checkout the rocket, refuel, and relaunch. It would also need major modifications to the barge, to the rocket and a dedicated supply ship and crew. 

If they ever got to the point where saving two days in the turnaround process became important, it would be easier to simply increase the number of stages and barges.

35 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Check the video above, it already did :confused:

My guess continues to be, they know more about it than us, there's probably a very good reason why they're not...

and if they're doing it right, we won't know that reason until they want us to.

Now if you'll excuse, I have a crinkle in my tinfoil hat...

Don't think I'm hinting towards any kind of forgery here that is not the case. It just baffles me because space needs as much good publicity as it can get. The reason has to be that the footage I mention reveals something they don't want competitors ( *cough*Blue Origin ) to see. What else could it possibly be?

I think about it and we didn't get that full onboard footage on the early Shuttle launches either, so... In time maybe when this landing practice becomes more common. There still technically "experimental". Guess I answered my own question :P

40 minutes ago, Emperor of the Titan Squid said:

14 minutes ago, Nibb31 said:

It takes 2 days to ship the stage back to Port Canaveral. It would take longer than that to checkout the rocket, refuel, and relaunch. It would also need major modifications to the barge, to the rocket and a dedicated supply ship and crew. 

If they ever got to the point where saving two days in the turnaround process became important, it would be easier to simply increase the number of stages and barges.

Check this out if you haven't already.

It's absolutely absurd how quickly the core shuts down after booster sep. Doesn't look too practical on all, but the lightest of payloads.

Edited by Motokid600

43 minutes ago, DarthVader said:

@Motokid600 that is for when all 3 cores RTLS, per the vid title. for core stage DPL, it would burn much longer.

I know, but would such a thing ever happen? To have the core come back? Because if the core burns for much longer itd have to go for the barge, no? Whats DPL?

3 minutes ago, Motokid600 said:

I know, but would such a thing ever happen? To have the core come back? Because if the core burns for much longer itd have to go for the barge, no? Whats DPL?

I'm guessing Downrange Platform Landing, also called a "Droneship" landing. (since SpaceX cannot legally call it a barge anymore. Thanks Bezos!)

2 hours ago, Motokid600 said:

Don't think I'm hinting towards any kind of forgery here that is not the case. It just baffles me because space needs as much good publicity as it can get. The reason has to be that the footage I mention reveals something they don't want competitors ( *cough*Blue Origin ) to see. What else could it possibly be?

I think about it and we didn't get that full onboard footage on the early Shuttle launches either, so... In time maybe when this landing practice becomes more common. There still technically "experimental". Guess I answered my own question :P

Check this out if you haven't already.

It's absolutely absurd how quickly the core shuts down after booster sep. Doesn't look too practical on all, but the lightest of payloads.

They have three 'falcon' to recover you want sufficient enough distance so you can have independent crews in the land back areas. Its practical in the sense that they are not going so fast the stage   is diificult to recover but enough distance that they don't interfere. 

The video, cheesey, sorry not my cup. 

2 hours ago, Nibb31 said:

That is the time it takes today (first try), when spacex not even have scheduled and planned its logistics on that matter.
By the way, that can be easily solved with my fixed solid sea platform proposal, which also reduce the cost of faring recovery and increase the chance of stage recovery in any weather.

12 minutes ago, Rakaydos said:

I'm guessing Downrange Platform Landing, also called a "Droneship" landing. (since SpaceX cannot legally call it a barge anymore. Thanks Bezos!)

That's not how patents work. At all.

7 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

And that shows how strong their rocket is, able to lie sideways only supported at the ends. I don't think there are many rockets that can do that, without support in the middle. I wonder if they pressurize it for extra strength?

It's also empty, with all the heavy bits at the bottom. The middle just has to support its own weight. I doubt that it can do this trick fully loaded.

This isn't anything unusual for the F9. They are built sideways, stored sideways, shipped across the continent sideways on a truck, prepared for flight sideways, have their payload integrated sideways, and get rolled onto the pad sideways.

the stage would not break in the middle, is a lot more robust than that.

If you can place all the weight in the extremes (edges) of the trailer, then you just need wheels under those points, which decrease the friction and it is easier to move and turn.
It has enough wheels to not break the street.