[ASC-III] Air Superiority Challenge - King of the Hill (BDArmory 4v4 AI Duels: WW1 Theme) - Now Concluded!

That was an interesting battle. Apparently ablative wingmen make the best armor. I'm not sure how or why the VulTurRaptors were only targeting one plane most of the time, but it would be interesting if it could be replicated with other craft, especially in light of being able to submit two craft for the ASC; i can see this glitch? exploit? AI quirk? becoming a design consideration for future entries.

Rest in peace, VulTurRaptor, you were a worthy and truly formidable adversary.

2 hours ago, jrodriguez said:

The Solarius III won the fight 3 - 0

Strange, sometimes the F-2 doesn't fire when the Solarius does. Guess it's back to missiles and lasers together.

I guess this will be the hard counter:

-6 AMRAAMS at 6M/T

-AMRAAMS fire outside of laser range and make Sols go into evasive maneuvers

-Laser plane moves in to overheat evading Sol

Edited by NotAnAimbot

6 hours ago, jrodriguez said:

How many lasers have you clipped together? 4, 8? hahaha

Yeah, I was wondering how a single laser was so effective from over 4 km away.

I seriously think we should ban offensively oriented laser turrets in the next ASC, though.

Edited by drtricky

10 hours ago, drtricky said:

I seriously think we should ban offensively oriented laser turrets in the next ASC, though.

I support that. BTW, once the hosts clear the competitor backlog, we'll be starting in on ASC-II, which will be fought in 1.1.

I'm also working on a new challenge: ASC-A, where you try to capture the island airfield against increasingly stiff resistance. It'll require a very different type of plane, and I'm thinking of also making it a test of squadron command skills and manual piloting-depends on whether or not people want to self-host. Luckily, flak and SAM emplacements are 9 and 15 parts respectively, so I'll be able to put some crazy stuff later on.

Edited by Hobbes Novakoff

7 minutes ago, Hobbes Novakoff said:

only allowing lasers if you are using the Mk3 cockpit. 

What do you think about this then?

-1.25 cockpits can only carry two .50s, 2 Vulcans or a single GAU-8

-Mk2 cockpits can carry two Vulcans turrets or two GAU-8s

-Mk3 cockpits can carry three GAU-8s, 4 Vulcan turrets or a single laser in the nose

16 hours ago, jrodriguez said:

How many lasers have you clipped together? 4, 8? hahaha

6 lasers, which are very much a double edged sword, and responsible for a number of exploitable flaws in the Solarius' design

Advantages and flaws of the Solarius' design, as seen in the previous two videos:

Laser cluster Pros:
Anything that gets within 4-5 km, dies. Probably.   

Laser cluster Cons:
5 tons of laser on the nose makes the Solarius fly like a three legged cow.
Lack of maneuverability means anemic missile defense.
The laser cluster uses 2100 Ec/s. There is about 5500 Ec worth of batteries on board.
The Solarius has no secondary armament.

So far the above trade-off has worked in the Solarius' favor, but anything that can survive the initial alpha strike will be able to make full advantage of the Solarius' vulnerabilities.

Just now, NotAnAimbot said:

What do you think about this then?

-1.25 cockpits can only carry two .50s, 2 Vulcans or a single GAU-8

-Mk2 cockpits can carry two Vulcans turrets or two GAU-8s

-Mk3 cockpits can carry three GAU-8s, 4 Vulcan turrets or a single laser in the nose

I'm  thinking of being a bit less linear. For instance, GAU-8s and other fixed guns aren't useful on airliners because it's like trying to do the Daytona 500 in a segmented bus. I do want a sort of tailgun-type weapon, as 50 cals are far too small and something like the Millennium is too big. Or only putting a restriction on lasers-after all, guns will be less useful against small, nonmoving targets, especially when I start to armor them.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.