[ASC-III] Air Superiority Challenge - King of the Hill (BDArmory 4v4 AI Duels: WW1 Theme) - Now Concluded!

14 minutes ago, Hobbes Novakoff said:

Does this look like a tailgun to you?

Well, we have 2 possibilities:

-Twin 50 cal turrets (Same as the ones in the B-52A)

-Single Vulcan turret angled to cover more ground

Both paired with a radome.

2 hours ago, Matuchkin said:

That is weird. After all, that is their sole purpose in the navy.

I've noticed that the AI will still use turrets to attempt to shoot down missiles if an aircraft is stationary on the ground and set to target everything.

2 minutes ago, Redshift OTF said:

Damn it! Stealth Weasel 2 :( Why didn't I put some armour on them, lol. I suspect that will be the next innovation.

Thanks for doing the match inigma!

haha it was me not inigma. I'm going to do a test against Suicidal Insanity! I have some ideas..

3 hours ago, Hobbes Novakoff said:

I'm  thinking of being a bit less linear. For instance, GAU-8s and other fixed guns aren't useful on airliners because it's like trying to do the Daytona 500 in a segmented bus. 

If you're implying a lack of maneuverability, I have a ground attack aircraft designed for a separate ground attack competition, and even though it weigh 82 tons, the aircraft is maneuverable enough that the AI will make an active attempt to dodge the gunfire from 16 M230 Chain Turrets. Now I will admit its ability to dodge SAMs is highly questionable, but my LD-41 Megalodon, an anti-missile support aircraft, can *probably* take care of them :D

38 minutes ago, jrodriguez said:

haha it was me not inigma. I'm going to do a test against Suicidal Insanity! I have some ideas..

Ooops, sorry. :( I just saw the blue avatar and posted. :sticktongue:

Maybe a plane with 20 lasers clipped into each other with an 8km range might do the trick.

Just now, Redshift OTF said:

Ooops, sorry. :( I just saw the blue avatar and posted. :sticktongue:

Maybe a plane with 20 lasers clipped into each other with an 8km range might do the trick.

The AI's range for lasers is capped to 4.8 km. That's why my frickin sharks with laser beams didn't start eliminating missiles earlier in the match.

2 hours ago, drtricky said:

If you're implying a lack of maneuverability, I have a ground attack aircraft designed for a separate ground attack competition, and even though it weigh 82 tons, the aircraft is maneuverable enough that the AI will make an active attempt to dodge the gunfire from 16 M230 Chain Turrets. Now I will admit its ability to dodge SAMs is highly questionable, but my LD-41 Megalodon, an anti-missile support aircraft, can *probably* take care of them :D

Well then, good job I suppose! I probably won't make any restrictions on guns-I'm going with more or less the same philosophy as inigma. I might go with more restrictions on clipping. You shouldn't be able to clip 6 lasers into each other-it's not balanced in any sense of the word.

I have a serious question. Why do my craft only attack 1 Solarius craft at a time? Pretty much every other matchup my 2 craft will each target 1 enemy each. What gives?

Also, Solarius has 6 lasers clipped inside each other, come on...

edit...

OK, I figured out the solution to laser boats. Increase the competition start distance to 10k or more. Aim-120 spam wins again. :)

Edited by g00bd0g

1 minute ago, Matuchkin said:

:0.0::huh:

Yes, a bit cheesy. Part of the reason I'm not doing limitless air competitions no more.

So, if I understand, it's off to ASC-II 1.1 when GDJ's plane finishes his run?

Edited by NotAnAimbot

22 minutes ago, g00bd0g said:

I have a serious question. Why do my craft only attack 1 Solarius craft at a time? Pretty much every other matchup my 2 craft will each target 1 enemy each. No matter what I try, I cannot engage both Solarius at the same time. What gives?

Also, Solarius has 6 lasers clipped inside each other, come on...

I actually had the same issue when I was testing Matador against the VulTurs a while back. Both would fire 6 AIM-120s each at one of them, most assuredly downing it, and then following up on the second.

1 minute ago, JollyGreenGI said:

I actually had the same issue when I was testing Matador against the VulTurs a while back. Both would fire 6 AIM-120s each at one of them, most assuredly downing it, and then following up on the second.

I do need to back off my previous absolute statement " No matter what I try, I cannot engage both Solarius at the same time." Sometimes they do seem to engage both.

I think it may have something to do with how the AI perceives who is being attacked. Friendly AI's will prioritize targets that are currently attacking wingman. I think lasers may screw with that logic a bit.

1 hour ago, NotAnAimbot said:

So, if I understand, it's off to ASC-II 1.1 when GDJ's plane finishes his run?

I'd say that's fair to say. 

@inigma I'm noticing something very troubling about laser-laser battles in 1.1. I've noticed that if both sides have ships with potent lasers that engage each other, the side that wins is the side who has the camera focused on them. I fought one of my laser ships against solarius III, and I noticed that in the laser on laser engagements, the side that won was always the side that had the camera focused on them. The side that had the camera focused on them was always the first to fire, and thus the first to kill.

Could you or anyone reading this possibly confirm this for me?

1 minute ago, drtricky said:

@inigma I'm noticing something very troubling about laser-laser battles in 1.1. I've noticed that if both sides have ships with potent lasers that engage each other, the side that wins is the side who has the camera focused on them. I fought one of my laser ships against solarius III, and I noticed that in the laser on laser engagements, the side that won was always the side that had the camera focused on them. The side that had the camera focused on them was always the first to fire, and thus the first to kill.

Could you or anyone reading this possibly confirm this for me?

This is very true. When I pit my fighters against each other, the one who has the camera focus usually wins, due to launching missiles/dodging/firing first.

Just now, Monkey29399 said:

This is very true. When I pit my fighters against each other, the one who has the camera focus usually wins, due to launching missiles/dodging/firing first.

In light of this, maybe there should be a 5th plane with no Weapon manager for the camera to focus on. Extremely low part count, no afterburners or anything to throw off the fighters.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.