[1.3.0] Kerbalism v1.2.9

ShotgunNinja

@cheeseit From the rate of malfunctions you report is possible you are running an old version, or at least the vessel in question was launched in an old version. In newer versions the malfunction rates were seriously nerfed. You can tweak the rate of malfunctions with an MM patch, like this:

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[Malfunction]]:FINAL
{
  @min_lifetime *= 10.0
  @max_lifetime *= 10.0
}

And you can disable malfunctions altogheter by editing Profiles/Default.cfg and deleting this line:

@Kerbalism:FOR[EnableMalfunction] {}

Note that both solutions will not apply to existing vessels, but only to new ones.

22 minutes ago, cheeseit said:

What rate does investing into material science slow malfunctions, how long each unit of food/oxygen will last, which node gives better scrubber efficiency etc etc

You can find some info on the wiki. For the life expectancy estimates, you will find them in the Planner (in the editors) and in the Vessel Info Window (in flight).

@ShotgunNinja

To be honest, editing or deleting stuff in config files is kind of scary for not so tech-savvy people and only people who read through the whole thread will know what to do and how to do it. Have you ever considered adding a huge ingame interface with a hundred checkboxes and sliders so everybody can easily fine-tune your mod? (But I guess this would be a ton of work.)

@Guest83 For the malfunctions, now I think it was a bad idea to store the lifetimes in the module. The rationale for putting them there was to make them customizable for component, but it was never used that way. And now they are hard to change between versions. They will be best in the settings.cfg I think, that may eventually get an UI at some point.

50 minutes ago, Guest83 said:

@ShotgunNinja

To be honest, editing or deleting stuff in config files is kind of scary for not so tech-savvy people and only people who read through the whole thread will know what to do and how to do it. Have you ever considered adding a huge ingame interface with a hundred checkboxes and sliders so everybody can easily fine-tune your mod? (But I guess this would be a ton of work.)

Just copy the config and paste in another folder before you start, and backup your saves, then you can do whatever you want to the configs, and if something screws up, just replace the configs with the backup configs.

Thanks guys!

I just downloaded the newest version of the mod and I'll see how it works about before I get into tweaking the files myself.

However it seems to have deleted a whole bunch of parts that I need from the mod in the VAB  menu. I can't find any oxygen tanks or any other food tanks other than the first one you unlock. I definitely have them unlocked on the tech tree. 

1 hour ago, ShotgunNinja said:

@Guest83 For the malfunctions, now I think it was a bad idea to store the lifetimes in the module. The rationale for putting them there was to make them customizable for component, but it was never used that way. And now they are hard to change between versions. They will be best in the settings.cfg I think, that may eventually get an UI at some point.

That's a good idea. I personally have been treating ships built under different versions as older/newer generation tech. With the old ships I need to either plan for high failure rate, have a an engineer on board/regular visits or replace with newer generation tech. I've just completely refurbished a space station along this being. It's been fun!

54 minutes ago, cheeseit said:

However it seems to have deleted a whole bunch of parts that I need from the mod in the VAB  menu. I can't find any oxygen tanks or any other food tanks other than the first one you unlock. I definitely have them unlocked on the tech tree. 

There's a new special Kerbalism tab on the VAB parts display; they're not there?

1 hour ago, Nansuchao said:

My first Kerbalism interplanetary ships. 237 comfortable and almost shielded parts. Radiations are really terribles!

BWrLyzb.jpg

That looks really cool. My ship to Duna wound up killing all three Kerbals aboard because I miscalculated oxygen requirements (or possibly lost it due to that old time warp bug, I'm not sure), but I think they would have died from radiation sickness before getting home, so yeah--terribles!

22 minutes ago, LENIN_comrad said:

Nice job! But 1 moment: why life module don't have scrubber? I think in life module or in scince lab kerbals have more space for scrubbers and oxygen, then in command pod.

Having multiple scrubbers don't help. Since all crewed vessels should in theory should have command modules it makes sense to assign the scrubbers to them.

1 minute ago, Genolution said:

Having multiple scrubbers don't help. Since all crewed vessels should in theory should have command modules it makes sense to assign the scrubbers to them.

Ok, just i don't know it's normal or not... My kerbals consume 0.05/s it's 3m 36s in space (Storage 10), that's not even enough to get a stable orbit. It's ok or i not smart?

7 minutes ago, LENIN_comrad said:

Ok, just i don't know it's normal or not... My kerbals consume 0.05/s it's 3m 36s in space (Storage 10), that's not even enough to get a stable orbit. It's ok or i not smart?

Are you saying you only have 10 oxygen in a command module? It should be 5,000 oxygen per seat. That should be a 50 day supply in sandbox mode or about 15 days worth just starting out in career mode.

1 hour ago, LENIN_comrad said:

And you're sure you've downloaded the latest version of Kerbalism? The 10 food/5 oxygen makes it look like the very first version...

Apart from that, and checking you have Community Resource Pack installed, I'm out of ideas.

@mivanit I'm using SharpDevelop but this should apply to any IDE/compiler: you need to target .NET Framework 3.5 and include the following reference assemblies, that you will find in the installation directory of KSP:

• Assembly-CSharp
  • Assembly-CSharp-firstpass
  • KSPUtil
  • UnityEngine
  • UnityEngine.UI

Then you will also need to include this other reference assembly, that is the CLS interface dll and is included in Kerbalism download as well as the CLS dev package:

• CLSInterfaces

9 hours ago, dboi88 said:

8 hours ago, Squelch7 said:

There's a new special Kerbalism tab on the VAB parts display; they're not there?

It's just the single food tank in that tab :( 

@LENIN_comrad Try doing this: remove the GameData/Kerbalism directory completely, then download the last version and install it. If you install using CKAN, make sure to also install Kerbalism-Profile-Default.

@cheeseit The parts are unlocked with technologies... you only have unlocked the small food container. NVM saw your other post... try to reinstall as above.

Edited by ShotgunNinja

1 hour ago, mivanit said:

@ShotgunNinja what do I need to install to build your mod? (im using microsoft visual studio if thats important)

Personally, I'm using Xamarin and everything's compiling just fine. Just be sure to open up the .csproj project file that comes with Kerbalism in a text editor and update the HintPath entries to point toward your local KSP folder. For example, I had to change this:

<Reference Include="Assembly-CSharp">
      <HintPath>C:\Games\KSP\KSP_x64_Data\Managed\Assembly-CSharp.dll</HintPath>
</Reference>

To this:

<Reference Include="Assembly-CSharp">
      <HintPath>E:\Games\KSP\KSP_x64_Data\Managed\Assembly-CSharp.dll</HintPath>
</Reference>

You can do all that through whatever IDE you use, too, but personally it just seems easier to do a quick find and replace to change the drive letter/path.

Edited by Barrin

First off, thanks to SN for getting out amazingly quick fixes. Of course. But I have to tell a story, and I'll condense it a bit. When I made the update with my newer game, I ended up with a huge amount of "No Resource definition found" errors everywhere. Fine. I'll just start over with a new game. That stuff went away, but it was too late. I was already paranoid and was peeking at logs way too much. The one Kerbalism related item I still see is related to the greenhouse. They look like this:

[LOG 15:03:48.655] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'Kerbalism/Parts/Greenhouse/Greenhouse/Greenhouse'
[ERR 15:03:48.664] [ShipTemplate]: No Resource definition found for RESOURCE

PartLoader: Compiling Part 'Kerbalism/Parts/Greenhouse/Greenhouse/Greenhouse'
(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 64)
[ShipTemplate]: No Resource definition found for RESOURCE

I'm using the realism config BTW. And yes, I know some mods spit this stuff out.

--

And speaking of the realism config, why is the water filtration sucking done 4.0 EC? Last I checked, the mobile science lab nabs 5.0 EC when in use. Right? As it stands, a single kerbal in a command pod who turns on the water filter sucks down almost as much power as the Scilab that has 2 kerbals? Even the greenhouse only uses 0.5 EC. Are we sure the water filter isn't supposed to be 0.4 EC instead? <- But wouldn't that be a bit heavy handed as well.

Last thing, how will Kerbalism fit in with PlanetaryBaseSystems? Seems that mod got an update. I'm asking cuz I think RoverDude mentioned his stuff wouldn't work so well with the Kerbalism? [Been said before]. Doesn't the PlanetaryBaseSystems mod share the same mechanics? Just curious.