[1.3.0] Kerbalism v1.2.9

ShotgunNinja

Craft problem after upgrade: after upgrade from 1.1.0-Beta and appropriate upgrade of Kerbalism, Small Food Container and Small Oxygen Tank are missing, What's worse, my craft returning from Minmus has both, can I do something besides downgrade or start over?

1 minute ago, tarkhil said:

Craft problem after upgrade: after upgrade from 1.1.0-Beta and appropriate upgrade of Kerbalism, Small Food Container and Small Oxygen Tank are missing, What's worse, my craft returning from Minmus has both, can I do something besides downgrade or start over?

Bring your Kerbals back on Kerbin and launch new ships it's the easiest solution, for me.

18 hours ago, ShotgunNinja said:

@casper88

A CO2 scrubber remove CO2 from human exhaust air, allowing the Oxygen still in it to be reused. The technology is old (think submarines). Scrubbing, in general, means 'filtering something out of something else'. If you remove the Scrubber bit from the MM patch then the pods will not have a scrubber anymore and then, de facto, you will be removing that mechanic from the game entirely. The 'EnableScrubber' feature-tag is not used directly by Kerbalism, it is there in the hope that third-party MM patches that add scrubbers will NEEDS that, allowing the user to remove all their scrubbers too by merely commenting out that line in the profile.

when enabling / disabling scrubbers the estimated change of oxygen "rate of change" as you called it changes..whereas I would assume enabling scrubbers would stop CO2 build up in the enclosed space of the capsules and thus prevent CO2 toxicity and not effect the O2 "rate of change"

just my thoughts on it

however, as i write this I realise it may be wording issues...did you envision this mechanic to remove the carbon from the CO2 and thus give back the O2? if so thats a completely different process IRL 

casper88

Edited by casper88

@casper88 When you disable the scrubber the Oxygen depletion estimate change because the scrubber was adding back oxygen every second, and now it's not doing that anymore. There is no CO2 buildup, the Kerbals are smart enough to dump the excess into space. Think of the scrubber as 'reducing' the Oxygen consumed per-second, when active.

First off id like to say this is one of the most amazing mods ive ever seen. I do have one question though about background simulation. The background simulation in this mod is excellent, and in fact is too excellent for me. It is incredibly taxing on my computer. Is there any way to disable/simplify it without getting rid of the mod completely? Ideally i would like to be able to tag a ship which has "completed" its mission, such as a surface lander or relay satellite. This way i would still have to deal with food and ec for my missions, but wouldnt bave my game slow down because of all the landers and probes ive sent out. I love the challenge of background simulation and knowing that one of my relay sats might go down or something, but honestly it just appears to be killing my computer. 

This mod looks absolutely amazing.  However, I'm a Realism Overhaul/RP-0 addict, and no amount of awesome modding can make the stock game bearable to me, for I have been forever spoiled by RO.

I've searched this thread for compatibility with RO, but there doesn't appear to be much of a conclusion.   Has anyone given Kerbalism+RO/RP-0 a real go?  How's it play? Does it play?

Hi, @ShotgunNinja! Once again, I'd like to congratulate you on this mod! It's hard, but very good, thanks!

I have two questions/suggestions:

1. why did you create a Communotron 8 antenna? Wouldn't it be better to change Communotron 16's specs and upgrade them like you did with Signal Processing? Unecessary parts may become problems with missing parts in the future...
  2. what do you think about drawing lines to show us the communication links, like RemoteTech and AntennaRange do? Togglable, if possible...
Edited by jlcarneiro

@jlcarneiro Link lines are coming in 0.9.9.8, and toggable per-vessel too! The communotron-8 was added at an early stage of development, it was only meant strictly for early game orbital communications, then it was rebalanced in various phases until the current range. Then it just sticked I guess...

@Apexazimuth It should work. For start, this mod doesn't assume anything about the solar system features so RSS should just work. For RO & co, I didn't test it but somebody reported a problem with fuel switcher in manned pods replacing the Food/Oxygen. That could be considered a minor issue, perhaps. For the rest, try it and let me know! Oh, and in next version there is a Realism and TAC emulation profile that may be of your liking.

Edited by ShotgunNinja

2 minutes ago, mivanit said:

@ShotgunNinja is there any way to make the mod ignore probe-type crafts as well? I don't want to get rid of all of my precious satellites :(

Do they have antennae? If so, you can enable relay on every probe af probably you'll not loose them.

so I figure if I add a line that goes something like

if (vessel.type == "probe") continue;

right after this foreach in Background.cs

// called at every simulation step
  public void FixedUpdate()
  {
    // do nothing if paused
    if (Lib.IsPaused()) return;

// do nothing if DB isn't ready
    if (!DB.Ready()) return;

// for each vessel
    foreach(Vessel vessel in FlightGlobals.Vessels)
    {
      // skip invalid vessels
      if (!Lib.IsVessel(vessel)) continue;

// skip loaded vessels
      if (vessel.loaded) continue;

// get vessel data from the db
      vessel_data vd = DB.VesselData(vessel.id);

// get vessel info from the cache
      vessel_info info = Cache.VesselInfo(vessel);

// calculate atmospheric factor (proportion of flux not blocked by atmosphere)
      double atmo_factor = Sim.AtmosphereFactor(vessel.mainBody, info.position, info.sun_dir);

It should ignore all probes, correct?

(I don't actually know the proper syntax to get the vessel type in KSP)

Thanks!

1 hour ago, ShotgunNinja said:

@jlcarneiro Link lines are coming in 0.9.9.8, and toggable per-vessel too! The communotron-8 was added at an early stage of development, it was only meant strictly for early game orbital communications, then it was rebalanced in various phases until the current range. Then it just sticked I guess...

Do you have any idea if you'll keep it or deprecate it in favor of a Communotron-16 with variable specs or change its specs to avoid overlapping?

Because, as it is right now, it's barely needed (just for a few flights)...

@ShotgunNinja, I'm just building the first interplanetary ships of my new save, using the default profile of Kerbalism. Obviously the first destination is Mars, using the stock-size solar system. However, I plan to sedn three kerbals on mission, and I planned space for ten, but the Kerbalism UI still says Living Space: modest, Entertainment: boring. Please, how can I improve the situation? Just I have to put more and more Cupola?

LZ0o4Wf.jpg

@ShotgunNinja, big fan of your mod. I really like the direction things are going. I do have a problem though. I accidentally let go of the ladder on an EVA with no propellant and have been trying to get the pod to "dock" with Jeb so he can grab the ladder and live to kerbal another day. However, when I switch to him I get a CTD. I've attached my log below and I'm curious if you think this is a Kerbalism issue or something else. 
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4fuv4g8dgt9m9w8/output_log.txt?dl=0  

Edited by Bersia

3 hours ago, jlcarneiro said:

Do you have any idea if you'll keep it or deprecate it in favor of a Communotron-16 with variable specs or change its specs to avoid overlapping?

Because, as it is right now, it's barely needed (just for a few flights)...

@ShotgunNinja, I'm trying to understand how the antennas relate to each other and I think a table with the estimated (average?) range of each antenna, or at least a general expected coverage (like "from Kerbin to Mun" when not under a solar storm) for each level would help a lot. Is there one? Where can I get it? If not, I could try to help you: are the different ranges in the part files? 

@ShotgunNinja I've drafted some possible EC output numbers for NearFutureSolar that would align with your latest plans for the stock panels:

Part name EC Mass EC/mass Type
solarpanel-static-truss-1 3.2 0.1 32 Solar (static)
solarpanel-static-truss-2 1.6 0.05 32 Solar (static)
solarpanel-deploying-1x3-1 1.4 0.0541 25.8780037 Solar (nonretractable, concentrating, fragile)
solarpanel-deploying-1x4-1 1.75 0.1 17.5 Solar (retractable, concentrating)
solarpanel-deploying-1x4-2 2.25 0.095 23.68421053 Solar (nonretractable, concentrating)
solarpanel-deploying-1x5-1 4.2 0.1475 28.47457627 Solar (nonretractable)
solarpanel-deploying-1x5-2 6.5 0.22 29.54545455 Solar (nonretractable)
solarpanel-deploying-2x1-1 17 0.55 30.90909091 Solar (nonretractable)
solarpanel-deploying-2x1-2 8 0.375 21.33333333 Solar (retractable)
solarpanel-deploying-2x3-1 26 1.2 21.66666667 Solar (retractable)
solarpanel-deploying-circular-1 2 0.0941 21.25398512 Solar (retractable)
solarpanel-curved-deploying-25-1 6.5 0.33 19.6969697 Solar (retractable, curved)
solarpanel-curved-375-1 3 0.0925 32.43243243 Solar (static, curved)
solarpanel-curved-25-1 10 0.3 33.33333333 Solar (static, curved)

Edited by Fraz86

3 hours ago, Nansuchao said:

@ShotgunNinja, I'm just building the first interplanetary ships of my new save, using the default profile of Kerbalism. Obviously the first destination is Mars, using the stock-size solar system. However, I plan to sedn three kerbals on mission, and I planned space for ten, but the Kerbalism UI still says Living Space: modest, Entertainment: boring. Please, how can I improve the situation? Just I have to put more and more Cupola?

LZ0o4Wf.jpg

Try opening up the gravity ring and starting it spinning and see what that does to your values. IIRC, it doesn't actually provide entertainment until you set it to work. I might be mistaken, though.

52 minutes ago, Squelch7 said:

Try opening up the gravity ring and starting it spinning and see what that does to your values. IIRC, it doesn't actually provide entertainment until you set it to work. I might be mistaken, though.

Correct.  I found the same thing while designing a space station.  Be sure to put the number of crew you plan to have in the ship in it while you're in the VAB, and then deploy any rotating rings.  I'd also note that these entertainment values multiply one another, so adding another habitat ring will have a huge impact on the length of time to instability.

Edited by Norcalplanner
typos