[1.3.0] Kerbalism v1.2.9

ShotgunNinja

Here is another one. 

20x 30cm modules, 175 grams, 17.6W.

Six modules in a pannel (a fold) 1.7kg 105 Watts.

Wing of up to 5 panels max, 3 panel wing = 6Kg 315 watts.

there is no actuation hardware included here.

9 minutes ago, ShotgunNinja said:

@ExiledViking Thanks, wow huge difference for space-graded ones. That number is also very near to the stock values, impressive.

About degrading panels, there is an unused 'time curve' feature in the game code, I think SQUAD at some point considered making them degrade over time.

Yes a difference, but is that because they state "in space" values as opposed to on earth ones, or is the "military grade" worth the extra magnitude of cost :)

I think this being Kerbal space, we have room for High cost exotic panels, and 'look what i found on eBay' panels. Personally i think the cost curve for extra efficiency should be steep… 

The very first panel I mentioned costs £50… I doubt these custom substrate panels cost quite the same… :)

Ok Last but not least, we have flexible film panels ( Like the Gigantor ). I'm only seeing w/kg specs, 400w/kg droping to 13o when you get them mounted. essentially the modules listed above glued to a film and hung like curtains.

So for Gigantor EC. 2 'curtains' of 6.5 x 1m = 13m2 / .06 = 216 modules at 17.6 watts each = 3.8EC.

The film based modules should weigh .029m without a frame or motors. 

1 hour ago, ExiledViking said:

I have no idea if for space solar cells are better in terms of out put per area, maybe marginally… Their frame can be lighter… however deployment mechanisms require multiple motors etc

The space solar panels usually doesn't use engines for deployment but springs.

3 minutes ago, ExiledViking said:

I'm looking at a catalogue for Solar Array deployment systems that has sprung deployment hinges actuated by motorised release mechanisms, and motorised tracking actuators…. ???

Lol. You're right. It's just that springs are lighter for deployment and very reliable, but of course you still need motors for everything else.

3 minutes ago, ShotgunNinja said:

After maybe 8 hours of wrestling with line renderers, vectrosity, meshes, scaled spaces, game object lifetimes, screen projections... I can now say I hate unity.

showlink.gif

You're not alone. I dream to see KSP ported to another engine.

This mod looks great! I'm really glad you're concerned with interoperability with other mods as well!

@ShotgunNinja have you considerd working with @timmers_uk and his keepfit mod for kerbal health?

utilizing your mod's space weather and perhaps hunger/resource deprivation to affect the health of kerbals in keepfit ?

I think it would add to the immersive nature of both mod's and make for excellent game play - thoughts?

Edited by bojangles9999
Spelling/autocorrect nonsense

@bojangles9999 That is an interesting mod for sure. Right now you could disable the QualityOfLife mechanic and use the one of keepfit, by simply editing your Profiles/Default.cfg and deleting the rule named 'Stress'. For interaction, I made available a set of functions that can be called from other mods to do various things. I just added a couple that could be useful for other mods that want to get the LivingSpace and Entertainment factors that a Kerbal is subject to. Space-weather and radiation related hooks are already present in the current version. It is also already possible to trigger a mental breakdown on an arbitrary crew member.

I'm always adding more hooks at every version, and I'm open to requests for specific ones.

5 hours ago, ShotgunNinja said:

@Fraz86 It's a compromise. I share the same intuition as you about the fact that tracking panels have to be less efficient in term of EC/mass than fixed one. But I can't increase the OXSTAT output because that would make early game moot, and in general I don't want to add more mass tweaks (instead, I want to remove the few remaining). So either I make the outputs proportional to apparent surface area, or I make them proportional to mass. I can't do both, without tweaking all the masses.

I think the best solution is the first you proposed, with special case for OX-STAT:

PART MASS EC/s EC/MASS   NOTE
OX-STAT 0.005 0.08 16   tweaked for early game
OX-STAT-XL 0.02  0.64 32    
OX-4W 0.0175 0.48 27.42   tracking
OX-4L 0.0175 0.48 27.42   tracking
SP-W 0.025 0.48 19.2   tracking + re-deployable
SP-L 0.025 0.48 19.2   tracking + re-deployable
GIGANTOR 0.3 6.0 20   tracking + re-deployable

This only change the gigantor output, the hierarchy is maintained (even improved), the only exception is the OX-STAT that is tweaked for early game. We can just assume it is an early-tech panel that has very low efficiency.

I can live with that. Everything lines up logically except the OX-STAT, and as you said, it can just be thought of as an early game part, obsoleted once other panels are unlocked. Maybe add some flavor text to the OX-STAT description to make it clear that it sucks? By the way, did you know you can addend descriptions like so:

@description ^= :$: Text here will be added to the end of the part description.:

Edited by Fraz86

4 minutes ago, The-Doctor said:

@ShotgunNinja I've detected a bug. Kerbalism default profile causes the docking ports to refuse to dock, idk why.

I can't repeat this. I've been docking all night. I use the default profile and v0.9.9.7. Might sound stupid but are they the same size? I spent half an hour trying to dock a normal with a junior the other day.:sealed:

4 minutes ago, The-Doctor said:

@dboi88 It's fully Kerbalism, it refuses to dock, II only have Kerbalism and Mechjeb installed to do the docking for me, without Kerbalism, Mechjeb works fine and docks perfectly.

@ShotgunNinja Kerbalism has an issue with docking.

@ShotgunNinja please help me, I refuse to play KSP without Kerbalism

Any chance you can post your craft files? I'll see if I can repeat using the same mods.

1 minute ago, The-Doctor said:

@ShotgunNinja how do I do that?

Just out of curiosity, I tried the Docking Autopilot with Kerbalism installed and other 52 mods.

It works as expected. Remember that the Docking Autopilot isn't perfect. Sometimes you need to put your ship on the correct side and position respect to the target in order to make it work.

@The-Doctor Start KSP, try to dock, close KSP, send me the file KSP.txt inside the Kerbal Space Program install directory. You can use pastebin if you want, please don't post the content here directly.

I think I know what's happening... I detect when you dock two vessels, to remove one from the DB. And in the case of tutorials, the DB isn't even started because there is no serialization data. Meaning, this mod (and pretty much all the others) use a 'KSPScenario' to serialize the data and these aren't loaded in the tutorials. So when you try to dock there should be an exception in the log.

@SCE2AUX2 Sorry somehow missed your post earlier... Thanks for reporting that, I don't know if it is possible to solve, but I will have a look at those mods.

Edited by ShotgunNinja