[1.3.0] Kerbalism v1.2.9

ShotgunNinja

BOB IS DEAD

You killed Bob. The people loved Bob. :(

Maybe an eclipse killed the power long enough to shorten the scrubber time.

These events send ripples though the KSC, both personally and economically. Bob will be missed.

@ShotgunNinja Love your mod. Thanks for making it.

Read the first couple pages, but there are 46 now.

What's the memory and processing hit for your mod? I'm playing on a real potato here, so that I haven't (for example) installed RemoteTech because it (eventually) bogs things down too much. I like a lot of features of your mod, especially the life support bits, but I'm worried that it will eat too much, especially the satlink stuff.

Aside, and probably answered before (sorry!) do you have some kind of flight computer a la RemoteTech to allow you to program probes for when they lose connection?

@ShotgunNinja a machine can not lower the consumption of oxygen in a living being....

using the example of a submarine/iss..oxygen is released from tanks to maintain the % in the air as it is consumed..

http://science.howstuffworks.com/transport/engines-equipment/submarine2.htm

whilst scrubbers remove the CO2 to prevent and increase in CO2 % in the air that would cause toxicity..

Concentrations of 7% to 10% (70,000 to 100,000 ppm) may cause suffocation, even in the presence of sufficient oxygen, manifesting as dizziness, headache, visual and hearing dysfunction, and unconsciousness within a few minutes to an hour.[94]The physiological effects of acute carbon dioxide exposure are grouped together under the term hypercapnia, a subset of asphyxiation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_dioxide#Toxicity

this is why, in my opinion, I think your "scrubber" mechanic is broken or worded wrong and disabled it

casper88

2 hours ago, casper88 said:

this is why, in my opinion, I think your "scrubber" mechanic is broken or worded wrong and disabled it

Okay, we understand your point. But this is a game, not a realistic simulator. If you search deep enough, everything in KSP is broken or worded wrong if compared to real life.

@Jovus @ShotgunNinja The performance hit is very low as long as you don't have more than a dozen ships in flight, but things get worse quickly if you have a lot of big ships/stations running in the background. Seems that having a few high part count ships has a big impact.

@Nansuchao Found that adding more cupolas is a very effective way of improving the quality of life. Also, turn on your gravity ring in the VAB to see the effect.

Edited by Gotmachine

@mivanit That will disable background resource simulation, but it is better if you change directly the function IsVessel() in Lib.cs to not consider the ones flagged as Satellites. In that way, they will be disabled for all mechanics at once (including signal):

Spoiler

// return true if this is a 'vessel'
  public static bool IsVessel(Vessel v)
  {
    // something weird is going on
    if (v == null) return false;

// if the vessel is in DEAD status, we consider it invalid
    if (v.state == Vessel.State.DEAD) return false;

// when going to eva (and possibly other occasions), for a single update the vessel is not properly set
    // this can be detected by vessel.distanceToSun being 0 (an impossibility otherwise)
    // in this case, just wait a tick for the data being set by the game engine
    if (v.loaded && v.distanceToSun <= double.Epsilon) return false;

// if the vessel is a debris, a flag or an asteroid, ignore it
    // note: the user can change vessel type, in that case he is actually disabling this mod for the vessel
    // the alternative is to scan the vessel for ModuleCommand, but that is slower, and resque vessels have no module command
    if (v.vesselType == VesselType.Debris || v.vesselType == VesselType.Flag || v.vesselType == VesselType.SpaceObject) return false;

// the vessel is valid
    return true;
  }

@jlcarneiro The signal processing apply to all antennas, including the little Communotron-8. There is actually a table that may be useful to you, it is somehow buried in a Planner tooltip... hover on the 'ECC' entry in the Signal section.

@Fraz86 Man, thanks a lot!

@johnna Absolutely: edit your Default.cfg and look at the start of the file, you'll see how to disable Malfunction, Signal, Scrubbers and Shielding. You only need to comment out a couple lines in there.

@Gotmachine I think the culprit here may be the 'redundancy incentive' function I recently added to Malfunction. I will remove it in next version.

The signal system may be responsable too, perhaps, but that is already reduced to the theoretical minimum computation-wise.

Edited by ShotgunNinja

1 hour ago, ShotgunNinja said:

[...]

@jlcarneiro The signal processing apply to all antennas, including the little Communotron-8. There is actually a table that may be useful to you, it is somehow buried in a Planner tooltip... hover on the 'ECC' entry in the Signal section.

[...]

Thanks!

In a little off-topic note, I'll post a suggestion about adding a section with astronomical data on celestial bodies (Kerbol, planets and moos) on KSPedia: if I have an in-game info source, I shouldn't need to open a webpage to get info about Mun diameter or altitude... :wink:

EDIT: Done.

Edited by jlcarneiro

@Fraz86 I was testing some of the changes to NearFuture panels, and while EC/mass now is perfect some of these are quite OP. We need to either tweak their masses or to ignore mass altogether and make them proportional to surface area (with a bonus for the concentrating one).

@ShotgunNinja Personally, I would consider EC/mass to take priority over EC/area, as mass is much more important for gameplay/balance (surface area is largely cosmetic in most situations). That said, it would of course be ideal for both mass and area to be well balanced; I have no objection to tweaking their masses.

54 minutes ago, Fraz86 said:

@ShotgunNinja Personally, I would consider EC/mass to take priority over EC/area, as mass is much more important for gameplay/balance (surface area is largely cosmetic in most situations). That said, it would of course be ideal for both mass and area to be well balanced; I have no objection to tweaking their masses.

Please keep in mind cost and tech tree node when balancing this or any other part. When using community tech tree, it takes a lot of time and science to unlock some of these advanced panels. I'd be a bit upset if they were no more efficient than cheaper, lower tech solar arrays.

I don't know if this is an issue on your end, CKAN's end, or my being an idiot, but...

When I try to install the mod via the CKAN interface I select the mod for install, however the option to "Apply changes" does not light up.

If I truly have just missed something, I apologize.

Edited by BlazeIV

1 hour ago, Fraz86 said:

I'd say quite the opposite… Design reflects considerable differences in mass and usefulness, while cells are largely similar, so the number mounted dictate output.

It's not all about dv, it's just as much about compactness and suitability to the task. I would drop the game immediately if it boiled down to a "top trump" situation. this mod should regulate output based on area, however it has no place making assumptions about mass.

If you guys want to test the panel outputs before release, here they are. I think this reached a good compromise, and the outputs are pretty much proportional to surface area, while at the same time EC/mass is in some tolerable range.

EnergyTweaks.cfg:

Spoiler

// ============================================================================
// Stock panels rebalance

// the small fixed panel
@PART[solarPanels5]:FOR[Kerbalism]
{
  @MODULE[ModuleDeployableSolarPanel]
  {
    @chargeRate = 0.08
  }
}

// the retractable panels
@PART[solarPanels1]:FOR[Kerbalism]
{
  {
    @chargeRate = 0.48
  }
}
@PART[solarPanels2]:FOR[Kerbalism]
{
  {
    @chargeRate = 0.48
  }
}

// the non-retractable panels
@PART[solarPanels3]:FOR[Kerbalism]
{
  {
    @chargeRate = 0.48
  }
}
@PART[solarPanels4]:FOR[Kerbalism]
{
  {
    @chargeRate = 0.48
  }
}

// the big fixed panel
@PART[LgRadialSolarPanel]:FOR[Kerbalism]
{
  @cost = 225
  @mass = 0.02
  {
    @chargeRate = 0.64
  }
}

// the huge solar panel
@PART[largeSolarPanel]:FOR[Kerbalism]
{
  {
    @chargeRate = 6.0
  }
}

// Stock EC consumers rebalance

// the ion engine consume less ec
@PART[ionEngine]:FOR[Kerbalism]
{
  @MODULE[ModuleEnginesFX]
  {
    @PROPELLANT[ElectricCharge]
    {
      @ratio = 0.25
    }
  }
}

// all lights ec rate is reduced to 1/4
@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleLight]]:FOR[Kerbalism]
{
  @MODULE[ModuleLight]
  {
    @resourceAmount *= 0.25
  }
}

// all wheels ec rate is reduced to 1/4
@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleWheel]]:FOR[Kerbalism]
{
  @MODULE[ModuleWheel]
  {
    @resourceConsumptionRate *= 0.25
  }
}

// all active radiators ec rate is reduced to 1/4
@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleActiveRadiator]]:FOR[Kerbalism]
{
  @MODULE[ModuleActiveRadiator]
  {
    @RESOURCE[ElectricCharge]
    {
      @rate *= 0.25
    }
  }
}

// all alternators produce 1/4 of the ec rate
@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleAlternator]]:FOR[Kerbalism]
{
  @MODULE[ModuleAlternator]
  {
    {
      @rate *= 0.25
    }
  }
}

// Other tweaks about EC

// the HECS2 probe core do not store ridiculous amounts of EC anymore
@PART[HECS2_ProbeCore]:FOR[Kerbalism]
{
  {
    @amount = 100
    @maxAmount = 100
  }
}

// Move the small fixed panel earlier in the tech tree
@PART[solarPanels5]:FOR[Kerbalism]
{
  @TechRequired = basicScience
}

NearFuture.cfg

Spoiler

// by Fraz86

// tweak NearFutureSolar panels

@PART[solarpanel-static-truss-1]:NEEDS[NearFutureSolar]         { @MODULE[ModuleDeployableSolarPanel] { @chargeRate = 1.6 }       @mass *= 0.5 }
@PART[solarpanel-static-truss-2]:NEEDS[NearFutureSolar]         { @MODULE[ModuleDeployableSolarPanel] { @chargeRate = 0.8 }       @mass *= 0.5 }
@PART[solarpanel-deploying-1x3-1]:NEEDS[NearFutureSolar]        { @MODULE[ModuleDeployableSolarPanel] { @chargeRate = 0.7 }       @mass *= 0.5 }
@PART[solarpanel-deploying-1x4-1]:NEEDS[NearFutureSolar]        { @MODULE[ModuleDeployableSolarPanel] { @chargeRate = 0.88 }      @mass *= 0.5 }
@PART[solarpanel-deploying-1x4-2]:NEEDS[NearFutureSolar]        { @MODULE[ModuleDeployableSolarPanel] { @chargeRate = 1.12 }      @mass *= 0.5 }
@PART[solarpanel-deploying-1x5-1]:NEEDS[NearFutureSolar]        { @MODULE[ModuleDeployableSolarPanel] { @chargeRate = 2.1 }       @mass *= 0.5 }
@PART[solarpanel-deploying-1x5-2]:NEEDS[NearFutureSolar]        { @MODULE[ModuleDeployableSolarPanel] { @chargeRate = 3.25 }      @mass *= 0.5 }
@PART[solarpanel-deploying-2x1-1]:NEEDS[NearFutureSolar]        { @MODULE[ModuleDeployableSolarPanel] { @chargeRate = 8.5 }       @mass *= 0.5 }
@PART[solarpanel-deploying-2x1-2]:NEEDS[NearFutureSolar]        { @MODULE[ModuleDeployableSolarPanel] { @chargeRate = 4.0 }       @mass *= 0.5 }
@PART[solarpanel-deploying-2x3-1]:NEEDS[NearFutureSolar]        { @MODULE[ModuleDeployableSolarPanel] { @chargeRate = 13.0 }      @mass *= 0.5 }
@PART[solarpanel-deploying-circular-1]:NEEDS[NearFutureSolar]   { @MODULE[ModuleDeployableSolarPanel] { @chargeRate = 1.0 }       @mass *= 0.5 }
@PART[solarpanel-blanket-1]:NEEDS[NearFutureSolar]              { @MODULE[ModuleDeployableSolarPanel] { @chargeRate = 50.0 }      @mass *= 0.5 }
@PART[solarpanel-blanket-2]:NEEDS[NearFutureSolar]              { @MODULE[ModuleDeployableSolarPanel] { @chargeRate = 10.0 }      @mass *= 0.5 }
@PART[solarpanel-curved-deploying-25-1]:NEEDS[NearFutureSolar]  { @MODULE[ModuleCurvedSolarPanel]     { @TotalEnergyRate = 1.6 }  @mass *= 0.25 }
@PART[solarpanel-curved-375-1]:NEEDS[NearFutureSolar]           { @MODULE[ModuleCurvedSolarPanel]     { @TotalEnergyRate = 0.75 } @mass *= 0.25 }
@PART[solarpanel-curved-25-1]:NEEDS[NearFutureSolar]            { @MODULE[ModuleCurvedSolarPanel]     { @TotalEnergyRate = 2.5 }  @mass *= 0.25 }

// Tweak everything from NearFutureElectrical

// Fission reactors cut to 25% power generation
@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[FissionGenerator]]:AFTER[NearFutureElectrical]:NEEDS[NearFutureElectrical]
{
  @MODULE[FissionGenerator]
  {
    @PowerGeneration *= 0.25
  }
}

// Nuclear waste recyclers cut to 25% power requirements
@PART[nuclear-recycler-*]:AFTER[NearFutureElectrical]:NEEDS[NearFutureElectrical]
{
  @MODULE[ModuleResourceConverter],0
  {
    @INPUT_RESOURCE[#ResourceName[ElectricCharge]]
    {
      @rate *= 0.25
    }
  }
  @MODULE[ModuleResourceConverter],1
  {
    {
      @rate *= 0.25
    }
  }
  @MODULE[ModuleResourceConverter],2
  {
    {
      @rate *= 0.25
    }
  }
}

// The decaying generator is slightly better than the stock RTG
@PART[rtg]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleRadioisotopeGenerator]]:AFTER[NearFutureElectrical]:NEEDS[NearFutureElectrical]
{
  @MODULE[ModuleRadioisotopeGenerator]
  {
    @BasePower = 1.0
  }
}

// Tweaks for Nertea's larger RTG, placing its EC/mass ratio above the stock RTG but below solar panels, with a corresponding cost adjustment
@PART[rtg-0625]:AFTER[NearFutureElectrical]:NEEDS[NearFutureElectrical]
{
  @cost = 69900  //3x PB-NUK
  @MODULE[ModuleGenerator]
  {
    @OUTPUT_RESOURCE[ElectricCharge]
    {
      @rate = 2.0  //2.5x PB-NUK
    }
  }
  {
    @BasePower = 2.0  //2.5x PB-NUK
  }
}

// Capacitor charge/discharge rates cut to 25%, and capacity cut to 50%
@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[DischargeCapacitor]]:AFTER[NearFutureElectrical]:NEEDS[NearFutureElectrical]
{
  @MODULE[DischargeCapacitor]
  {
    @ChargeRate *= 0.25
    @DischargeRate *= 0.25
    @MaximumCharge *= 0.5
  }
  @RESOURCE[StoredCharge]
  {
    @amount *= 0.5
    @maxAmount *= 0.5
  }
}

// Tweak ion engines from NearFuturePropulsion

// All ion engine power requirements cut to 25%
// note: also cover the stock ion engine
@PART[ionEngine,ionArgon-*,ionXenon-*,mpdt-*,pit-*,vasimr-*]:AFTER[NearFuturePropulsion]:NEEDS[NearFuturePropulsion]
{
  @MODULE[ModuleEnginesFX],0
  {
    {
      @ratio *= 0.25
    }
  }
}
@PART[pit-*]:AFTER[NearFuturePropulsion]:NEEDS[NearFuturePropulsion]
{
  @MODULE[VariablePowerEngine]
  {
    @PowerCurve
    {
      @key,0[1, ] /= 0.25
      @key,1[1, ] /= 0.25
    }
  }
}
@PART[vasimr-*]:AFTER[NearFuturePropulsion]:NEEDS[NearFuturePropulsion]
{
  @MODULE[ModuleEnginesFX],1
  {
    {
      @ratio *= 0.25
    }
  }
  @MODULE[VariableISPEngine]
  {
    @EnergyUsage /= 0.25
  }
}

// Tweak stuff from NearFutureSpacecraft

// The Mk3-9 pod was intended to have advanced technology that allows it to continue
// operating even when there isn't a Kerbal at the helm. The game doesn't allow a part
// to actually function as both a manned command pod and a drone, so technically it was
// just a drone (it could not be piloted by a Kerbal). With Kerbalism's signal requirement
// for drones, this becomes a disadvantage rather than an advantage. Thus, this feature is
// replaced with conventional crew command, and SAS is converted to standalone.
@PART[mk3-9pod]:AFTER[NearFutureSpacecraft]:NEEDS[NearFutureSpacecraft]
{
  @description = This newer command cockpit is optimized for orbital operations - it sacrifices some durability for lower mass. Advanced computer-assisted flight control allows even an untrained pilot to operate the pod with ease.
  @MODULE[ModuleCommand]
  {
    @minimumCrew = 1
    !RESOURCE[ElectricCharge] {}
  }
  @MODULE[ModuleSAS]
  {
    standalone = True
    RESOURCE
    {
      name = ElectricCharge
      rate = 0.03
    }
  }
}

// Though the Itinerant resembles a half-capacity Hitchhiker, it feels too cramped and
// utilitarian to have an Entertainment value. Instead, it seems appropriate for it to
// have a CO2 scrubber. Also, the power output of its built-in RTG is cut proportionally
// to the stock RTG.
@PART[utilityCabin]:AFTER[NearFutureSpacecraft]:NEEDS[NearFutureSpacecraft,EnableScrubber]
{
  MODULE
  {
    name = Scrubber
    resource_name = Oxygen
    waste_name = CO2
    ec_rate = 0.02
    co2_rate = 0.09259258
  }
}
@PART[utilityCabin]:AFTER[NearFutureSpacecraft]:NEEDS[NearFutureSpacecraft]
{
  @MODULE[ModuleGenerator]
  {
    @OUTPUT_RESOURCE[ElectricCharge]
    {
      @rate = 0.5
    }
  }
  {
    @BasePower = 0.5
  }
}

Edited by ShotgunNinja
updated

I still disagree with the idea of nerfing EC generation rates but here is some constructive criticism on specific matters :

• Running an ISRU + 2 drills require 50 ec/s, that's 9 fuel cell arrays with your config. In stock you need 3 arrays for the same setup. This mean that you need 3 times more LF+Ox to run the arrays. This result in nullifying the final output in case of an unmanned/no engineer/background consumption setup, even with high ore concentrations : for an 8% ore concentration, you get 0.00067 LF/s instead of 0.0074 LF/s and the output becomes negative beginning somewhere below 7% concentration. The problem doesn't really happen with an engineer, a level 0 will only have a 20 % output reduction and it gets negligible with high level ones. From a cosmetic point of view, I understand that the array look like 6 individual fuel cells, but it's quite bulky and takes a lot of space. From what I usually see, nobody use fuel cells for anything else than ISRU anyway (because when you consider the fuel consumption, the EC/mass ratio is stratospheric versus RTG), so please consider revert them to the stock values which are balanced against ISRU/drill consumptions.
  • You divided lights EC rate by 2 and generators by something between 2 (RTG) and 3.5 (solar), meaning that they consume more than in stock. I was under the impression that stock light EC rates were already quite high.
  • I would prefer an increase in RTG mass instead of a reduction of the output as you usually need lot of them even on simple missions. The result is the same but it's more friendly toward the part count.

@Gotmachine I think you made a good point about fuel cells: they can be radically more powerful, given the fact that they require some form of fuel. So in the next version I'm going to revert them to 1.5 and 18 EC/s. Also I'm going to reduce the lights to 1/4 stock.

Same goes with RTG. I was considering doubling it to 0.64, but the stock value is 0.75 so I may as well use that directly.

What about ION engines? Do they feel imbalanced right now?

6 minutes ago, ShotgunNinja said:

@Gotmachine I think you made a good point about fuel cells: they can be radically more powerful, given the fact that they require some form of fuel. So in the next version I'm going to revert them to 1.5 and 18 EC/s. Also I'm going to reduce the lights to 1/4 stock.

Same goes with RTG. I was considering doubling it to 0.64, but the stock value is 0.75 so I may as well use that directly.

What about ION engines? Do they feel imbalanced right now?

Ion engines have just too much thrust and a ISP a little low, but that's for balance reasons, the real one is really too slow to be useful for something at all in KSP.

Edited by Nansuchao

20 minutes ago, Nansuchao said:

Ion engines have just too much thrust and a ISP a little low, but that's for balance reasons, the real one is really too slow to be useful for something at all in KSP.

A 20 month burn for Jool would probably put me off :) 

@ShotgunNinja Ion Isp is about 10x chemical, thrust is much lower, but we have lives :)  Dawn has a fold panel wingspan of 19.7 meters, which is equivalent to 1.5 Gigantors. Your estimate for gigantior out put is still quite high though...

Edited by ExiledViking

@ShotgunNinja I barely use ion engines because they are only useful for low weight/long range probes. When I use them I use a lot of batteries, enough to make it trough a 2000-3000 dV burn and I pack a few RTG that recharge the batteries between burns. It's usually more efficient than producing the required EC in real-time. So from this point of view it make them a bit more powerfull but others may have some other use where the EC rate matter more, so the current *0.5 value may be a good middle ground, I would let it as it is.

Unrelated : I know that you currently don't account for the heat management and engineer bonus for drills in unloaded ships. I'm not too concerned about the heat (somewhat useless game mechanic if you ask me), but it would be nice to have the engineer bonus applied (I know that stock doesn't either).

Totally related : you're really doing great work on this mod !

Edited by Gotmachine

1st, I love this mod!

2nd, I am just starting to build giant interplanetary ships and bases and I'm having issues with the massive power requirements of the science lab, gravity ring and greenhouse combination. Especially on bodies with long nighttime intervals. It would be awesome if we could "prioritize" the systems to shutdown non-critical stuff before we are left with no life support. i.e. turn off/on the ring or science lab at a minimum stored EC value.

2 hours ago, g00bd0g said:

1st, I love this mod!

2nd, I am just starting to build giant interplanetary ships and bases and I'm having issues with the massive power requirements of the science lab, gravity ring and greenhouse combination. Especially on bodies with long nighttime intervals. It would be awesome if we could "prioritize" the systems to shutdown non-critical stuff before we are left with no life support. i.e. turn off/on the ring or science lab at a minimum stored EC value.

I think the AmpYear mod has that kind of functionality, but it doesn't appear to be Kerbalism compatible. Was also reading that mod might be creating huge in game lag for some as well. But then, it would be nice if kerbals had some brains. If a kerbal were in the cockpit, they'd KNOW how to shutdown systems so as to keep themselves from getting killed. I'd suspect, they'd also know how to rotate the ships EC panels toward the sun to keep the lights from going out (Oh no, lets just sit here in full sunlight until the batteries die), so to speak...

Well, my testing with KIS items (bubs beer) and entertainment failed. Rather, it worked, but it had no effect even with a huge entertainment rate. Guess I'll have to ask over on the KIS thread. Might be possible KIS wasn't intended for this kind of behavior at all.

Following the above, anyone tried to stick 'entertainment' into a SF booster? It worked, even through the staging. Went from tolerable, to boring, to none. Thought I'd mention that in case anyone might want to know.

My real question is how difficult would it be to clone the small Kerbalism oxygen tank and make it a water container?. A while back I posted that I wanted to use the realism profile, but I also want to streamline the install [minimal mods]. Universal storage is one of those that needs to go. As expected, I'll be high and dry for a decent water container.

I'm also asking this last question because I want to combine it all into a weekend where I get a "crash course in mucking with parts". Keyword being crash... I've got too many part packs that only have about a half dozen parts I ever use. Ever. Heh, might even try to externally script those changes for mods that maintain excellent stability.

Thanks,

@DarkonZ

Regarding turning off parts etc. What would happen in a design environment would be to have more than one electric bus (circuit) so life critical systems would be independent from non critical items. Further one would have redundant back ups.

As for the tank.

copy the parts .cfg file, leave it in the same folder,

Rename it RadialWater.cfg

Open in a text editor, change: 

name = kerbalism-oxygen-radial to:  name = kerbalism-water-radial

change:

RESOURCE
  {
    name = Oxygen
    amount = 25000
    maxAmount = 25000
  }

to

RESOURCE
  {
    name = Water
    amount = 35.25
    maxAmount = 35.25
  }

You will need community resource pack installed for the game to recognise it.