[1.3.0] Kerbalism v1.2.9

ShotgunNinja

On 5/30/2016 at 8:18 AM, ShotgunNinja said:

Contracts
Some landmark contracts related to Kerbalism mechanics are provided:
- put a Kerbal in orbit for 30 day

Weirdly I got that contract auto-completed after taking it without ever sending a Kerbal for more than a day in orbit.

Could it be because it also counts stranded Kerbals from rescue missions (I may have accepted a few rescue contracts without any ship to go save them :rolleyes:).

@Fraz86 I'll try to add support for it in next version, including the boil off of fuel in background if I can.

@leomike You are right... will fix it.

@Inflectrum No problem :), and your report lead to a better support for RealFuels anyway.

@MemeBeam Eventually another greenhouse may be added, more stock-alike. The current one will never be phased out however, but just moved to the end of the tech tree and given some better stats.

9 minutes ago, ShotgunNinja said:

@MemeBeam Eventually another greenhouse may be added, more stock-alike. The current one will never be phased out however, but just moved to the end of the tech tree and given some better stats.

Good. I Love the current greenhouse model!

Version 1.0.1 released:

Changelog:
  - atmosphere is not considered breathable under the ocean surface
  - is possible to force kerbals to have helmet and oxygen by holding SHIFT when going to EVA
  - simulate CryoTanks boiloff in background, CryoTanks EC consumption supported in planner
  - use Hydrazine instread of MonoPropellant for the EVA suit, if RealFuels is installed
  - made RealFuels aware of default profile waste resources
  - some modules are not simulated in background if BackgroundProcessing is detected
  - fix: shortAntenna will not break existing vessels when signal mechanic is disabled
  - fix: telemetry experiment data size reverted to previous behaviour
  - fix: 'put a kerbal in orbit for 30 days' contract will not consider resque missions

I need help,

oxygen tanks and food containers do not seem to have any effect on any of my ships, so the crew cannot use the resources from anything apart from what I think is the onboard food/oxygen.

I also don't know if you're meant to be able to check food/oxygen supply as a resource, couldn't find any info on it in any GUI. For me all of the oxygen tanks and food containers are just useless items that only have a mass and nothing else.

Please note that I don't actually know if food is a problem, because I can't check, as my kerbals suffocate long before food becomes an issue, but the containers themselves have the same properties as the oxygen tanks

Please help, I have already lost 10 kebals on career to this, and I don't know if this is a bug or me just being stupid.

I just found out I can use Universal storage stuff for inline containers. So, forget those times I requested inline storage. I'm trying to get all my manned ships back to Kerbin so I can activate the realism config. I don't want all my old ships dying from dehydration XD. Quick question about the relay system. Does the signal have to reach KSC (simulating a automatic probe) or a manned space vehicle with an antenna (simulating that vehicle's pilot controlling the probe autonomously)

@BashGordon33 Right now a link with the home body is required. The 'pilot remote control' idea is interesting (maybe requiring 2 pilots on the vessel and/or a certain experience level) and shoudn't be too hard to implement either. I'll try to sneak this in one of the next version, if I can.

3 hours ago, ShotgunNinja said:

@BashGordon33 Right now a link with the home body is required. The 'pilot remote control' idea is interesting (maybe requiring 2 pilots on the vessel and/or a certain experience level) and shoudn't be too hard to implement either. I'll try to sneak this in one of the next version, if I can.

I can get where your going with the '2 pilots thing' one to control the ship and another to control an additional ship remotely. I never considered that. Don't push yourself too hard to implement a bunch of content in the next update. I think you should just fix the bugs with the realism profile. I'm desperate to play it, but I get a bunch of bugs when I do. I can't access my ships in the Tracking Station. 

Edited by BashGordon33

Okay, that's my problem. I launched a new module to my interplanetary ship (because now, because of this mod, all my previous traits with kerbals would be considered against Kerbal Universal Rights), only to discove rthat i forgot my add "Shielding". Then i came up with the idea. "Shiedlign" is only trash. A dens eelement capable of stop radiation that could be easily gathered in space... SO here's my  idea. If you take "Ore" and you compress it, making it more dense, you would have a good radiation protection. Thats my scientific justification to ask...

Could someone made a MM config that lets me use the ISRU Refinery to generate Shielding? (Into an empty module capable of store it)

Thank you

3 hours ago, stellarator said:

Could someone made a MM config that lets me use the ISRU Refinery to generate Shielding? (Into an empty module capable of store it)

Thank you

Thats a good point.

I came across the same issue using EPL as you can't currently build ships with shielding without taking the shielding from your base. I'll see if i can knock together an MM patch that both adds the function to the IRSU and some holding tanks.

4 hours ago, stellarator said:

Thank you

If you add this to your game data folder it will add two new Radiation holding tanks and add's the ability to compress ore into shielding using the ISRU. Be warned it's damn inefficient.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_nRjcqonDoUUjFmMzRiMXNBMnc/view?usp=sharing

I'm trying to solve this problem:
  as the simulation step time increase, the total resource produced or consumed in a vessel per-step can exceed capacity

There isn't really a real solution to this, except to have the player add more EC capacity to their vessels.
After much thinking here is what I can do about it:

(A): warn the user about this problem, by showing the minimum EC capacity required to avoid it in the planner
(B): disable highest timewarp
(C): simulate multiple steps at high timewarp speeds

(A) is easy to implement and doesn't pretend to solve the problem, (B) is the best solution but the user will not be able to use the highest timewarp anymore, and (C) is inconsistent between loaded/unloaded vessels, not to mention computationally intensive.

So my question is: how bad it will be if I disable the highest timewarp?

Edited by ShotgunNinja

Hmm, I'm not sure I'd disable the highest timewarp altogether.  Perhaps give the user a warning before he/she starts the highest timewarp?  Or give the user an option to disable it altogether? 

Personally, I don't use the highest timewarp very often, so it wouldn't bother me if you disabled it.  But I'm guessing other players will want the option to use it.

4 hours ago, ShotgunNinja said:

I'm trying to solve this problem:
  as the simulation step time increase, the total resource produced or consumed in a vessel per-step can exceed capacity

There isn't really a real solution to this, except to have the player add more EC capacity to their vessels.
After much thinking here is what I can do about it:

(A): warn the user about this problem, by showing the minimum EC capacity required to avoid it in the planner
(B): disable highest timewarp
(C): simulate multiple steps at high timewarp speeds

(A) is easy to implement and doesn't pretend to solve the problem, (B) is the best solution but the user will not be able to use the highest timewarp anymore, and (C) is inconsistent between loaded/unloaded vessels, not to mention computationally intensive.

So my question is: how bad it will be if I disable the highest timewarp?

I vote for A

Actually, what would it matter if you provided the end user the option to choose his poison? Personally, I'm with Spock. Live long and prosper and all that. Very rare I push time warp to the max (Unless some auto mod tries to do so.). Your choice!

BTW - Did you snub me on the idea of having the four common profiles identify themselves? Seriously, you just released an update, and couldn't spend 39 seconds adding these to the top of the profiles?

@Kerbalism:FOR[zRealism] {}

@Kerbalism:FOR[zTAC] {}

I vote option A. Maybe also warn the user if they attempt to use max timewarp while there are vessels with insufficient EC capacity. I think disabling max timewarp would be overkill, since most vessels should have some EC storage anyway, making it a non-issue.

@Mister Spock, @dboi88, @Death Engineering, @Fraz86, @Itsdavyjones

Thanks for the feedback guys, I'll go with (A) then.

@DarkonZ I did reply to you already about this. Other mods are de-facto supporting the default profile and you can't realistically expect them to support each profile individually. So while is trivial to add those two lines it is also the start of a slippery slope. It is more pragmatic instead to massage stuff in the non-default profiles, when it make sense. For example in the previous reply about this I suggested how is possible to replace the default profile waste resources with the realism profile ones globally, in all other mods, by adding a couple of lines in the realism profile. This is far more pragmatic than hoping all mods that added support for Kerbalism will use different waste resources depending on the profile in use.