[1.3.0] Kerbalism v1.2.9

ShotgunNinja

1 minute ago, ShotgunNinja said:

@Bonus Eventus I totally want to see space invaders in an iva monitor! :) To add entertainment, you just add it to the part like this:

@PART[my_part]
{
  MODULE
  {
    name = Entertainment
    desc = Something funny here
    rate = 1.2
  }
}

Hmm...now that I think about it I guess adding entertainment through prop.cfg would make little sense, since the player won't be able to choose which props are stored in a pod. That would be a cool mod though :D

6 hours ago, ShotgunNinja said:

The EC level problem is probably related to this (also mentioned as reason for squad to not apply EC consumption at high timewarps): a simulation tick at max timewarp is 2400 seconds in game time, so with EC capacity of 400 any consumer/producer with a rate exceeding 0.1666 EC/s will make the numbers inconsistent. (can't fix this, or at least the fix elude me at this time).

This would explain the problem and why adding (a lot) more battery capacity seems to make things better. I'm not too optimist about this, but perhaps you could open a bug report on the bugtracker since you seem to understand what is going on.

About QOL, maybe something like this :

// entertainment bonus
entertainment = 0.0
foreach(part p): entertainment += p.rate

// base living space
living_space = (crew_capacity + entertainment) / crew_count * QoL_LivingSpace

// other factors
firm_ground = 1.0 + (landed() ? QoLFirmGround : 0.0)
phone_home = 1.0 + (linked() ? QoLPhoneHome : 0.0)
not_alone = 1.0 + (crew_count > 1 ? QoLNotAlone : 0.0)

// the final quality-of-life factor
qol_factor = living_space * firm_ground * phone_home * not_alone

Obviously the current module entertainment values would need a buff.

3 hours ago, casper88 said:

Does kerbalism update every 10 seconds or so? I have 17 vessels out there and getting freezes every 10 seconds; I removed Kerbalism and they stopped.

Thanks Casper

I dont know your answer but as far as I know a performance improvement is to be expected in the next release.

9 hours ago, ShotgunNinja said:

The EC level problem is probably related to this (also mentioned as reason for squad to not apply EC consumption at high timewarps): a simulation tick at max timewarp is 2400 seconds in game time, so with EC capacity of 400 any consumer/producer with a rate exceeding 0.1666 EC/s will make the numbers inconsistent. (can't fix this, or at least the fix elude me at this time).

A possible fix for this would be to make sure that EC generation is executed before EC comsumption and allow unlimited storage of EC between those two steps.

Before: 180/200 EC
Generation: 580/unlimited EC (+400EC)
Comsumption: 190/unlimited EC (-390EC)
Final: 190/200

Before: 180/200 EC
Generation: 580/unlimited EC (+400EC)
Comsumption: 480/unlimited EC (-100EC)
Final: 200/200 (capped)

Not sure if it is possible to implement this though.

19 hours ago, g00bd0g said:

Have you looked at the profiles yet? You may be able to configure it just how want already :)

I want to tinker with the profiles but I have absolutely no idea what any of the stuff means or how to configure it. What I want to do is disable everything except the radiation and solar weather mechanics and just have the parts that go with those mechanics. Also, if there's a way, I'd try to add the radiation belts to planets/moons from the OPM and the Extrasolar planets add-on.

I have a lot of add-ons installed on my main KSP installation and I'm afraid if I do this wrong I'll wreck my nice career mode I have going on currently. :P

1 hour ago, EleSigma said:

I want to tinker with the profiles but I have absolutely no idea what any of the stuff means or how to configure it. What I want to do is disable everything except the radiation and solar weather mechanics and just have the parts that go with those mechanics. Also, if there's a way, I'd try to add the radiation belts to planets/moons from the OPM and the Extrasolar planets add-on.

I have a lot of add-ons installed on my main KSP installation and I'm afraid if I do this wrong I'll wreck my nice career mode I have going on currently. :P

Under GameData/Kerbalism/Profiles/default.cfg, change the content to what is below (you can remove the "//" in front of the appropriate lines to enable signal requirement for probes and the associated storm feature as well as malfunctions).

// ============================================================================
// ENABLE FEATURES
// Remove the "//" in front of the following line to enable signal
//@Kerbalism:FOR[EnableSignal] {}

// Remove the "//" in front of the following line to enable malfunction
//@Kerbalism:FOR[EnableMalfunction] {}

@Kerbalism:FOR[EnableShielding] {}

// RULES

// RADIATION
Rule
{
  name = Radiation
  degeneration = 1.0 // just use the modifier
  modifier = radiation
  warning_threshold = 15.0 // in rad
  danger_threshold = 22.5 // in rad
  fatal_threshold = 30.0 // in rad
  warning_message = $ON_VESSEL$KERBAL has been exposed to intense radiation
  danger_message = $ON_VESSEL$KERBAL is reporting symptoms of radiation poisoning
  fatal_message = $ON_VESSEL$KERBAL died after being exposed to extreme radiation
  // no relax_message because there is no recovery from radiation
}

This should work but to be safe make a copy of your saves folder (outside of the KSP folder) before doing this, if anything breaks, just revert the changes/reinstall Kerbalism and copy back the save.

Edit: Regarding radiation belt/magnetosphere, those are generated for "appropriate" planets based on set conditions. There is no easy way that I know to edit those at the moment but they should be automatically added to some planets (in the base game only Laythe, Duna, Eve and Kerbin have one).

Edited by leomike

40 minutes ago, leomike said:

Edit: Regarding radiation belt/magnetosphere, those are generated for "appropriate" planets based on set conditions. There is no easy way that I know to edit those at the moment but they should be automatically added to some planets (in the base game only Laythe, Duna, Eve and Kerbin have one).

I'm actually using Kerbalism with Stock Size Solar System and I have magnetosphere arounf every "right" planet. So, I presume it create the radiation belt depending on the planets it founds.

I've got an odd situation here. I have a station with loads of empty living space and entertainment. I checked in the build planner, and the kerbalism vessel status window confirmed that after launch, but for some reason something glitched, and now the station is listed as having "living space: cramped", "entertainment: none" and "shielding: none". 

I've even confirmed that they are in a part with 6 units of shielding, and tried moving them in and out of it, as well as into and out of the gravity wheel, hoping that would trigger some sort of reassessment of the craft's status, but no luck. Is there a way to force a refresh/update of the ship's life support status?

Failing that, I could edit the save file, but I have had no luck finding where the relevant data would be. In the save file, the entertainment modules are still on the parts in question, as is the shielding resource.

Any thoughts on where I should look? I'm not expecting you to fix it for me, I'm just seeing if I can get some info from you to help me fix it myself. :) 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qr4hhh47mfwax5i/quicksave.sfs?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y9kz8wk51n8vgcs/Fullscreen%20capture%205272016%2054736%20PM.bmp.jpg?dl=0

@Tokamak I found a problem with how i detect CLS internal spaces in the pre-release you are using. Will fix and send you a build for testing.

@Apurva Kawthalkar Geiger counter should be there, try reinstalling the mod. Make sure to delete the old directory first. Next version include fixes and optimization mostly.

Edited by ShotgunNinja

On ‎5‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 10:53 PM, ShotgunNinja said:

@eightiesboi Thanks for the kind words, and for your offer. As accepted really :) 

I will have to check how KCT is manipulating time. Any use of the 'revert flight', that I suspect is what the KCT simulation is using, will probably have the whole set of vessels simulated as normal and then reverted back at simulation end (so no big problems here, it will be like you are simulating all the vessels during the test flight). For the 'fast-forward' when you leave the VAB, honestly I don't know. What purpose does it serve? Does it manipulate planetarium time? I can't seem to find relevant info from the KCT thread.

EditorTime was created by Magico13 at my request to allow time to pass while you are in the VAB or SPH. The reason for this is that I like to tinker with vessels while I am waiting for an event to occur in my multi-mission careers. But if I am in the VAB, then in stock (obviously) time does not pass, and unless I manually fast-forward afterwards, it breaks the immersion. Consider that, if I have a time-limited mission to rescue one of my Kerbals, knowing that (thanks to KCT) it takes time to build and roll-out my rescue rocket, I also need to be efficient with my designing process, as each moment I waste screwing around brings my Kerbals that much closer to meeting their doom. You'll find better information about how EditorTime works here:

But seriously, trial and error will probably answer my questions. Sorry for my late reply, just got back from Vegas. :) Thank you again for all the work you've put and continue to put into this, and my offer is always good. :) 

Is anyone running into issues with kerbals dying because they don't get oxygen? I have an extra oxygen tank on my spacecraft, but can't rightclick it or something to see how much units of oxygen are in there. Anyone knows what's going on?

@Kartoffelkuchen Please check these:

• you have ModuleManager 2.6.24 or greater
  • you have CommunityResourcePack
  • you either download Kerbalism from spacedock, or you installed both Kerbalism and Kerbalism-Profile-Default from CKAN

If that is already the case, I'm out of ideas... please send me log and savegame so I can check what may be causing this.

27 minutes ago, ShotgunNinja said:

@Kartoffelkuchen Please check these:

• you have ModuleManager 2.6.24 or greater
  • you have CommunityResourcePack
  • you either download Kerbalism from spacedock, or you installed both Kerbalism and Kerbalism-Profile-Default from CKAN

If that is already the case, I'm out of ideas... please send me log and savegame so I can check what may be causing this.

Oh, it was because I didn't install Community Resource Pack. I'm an idiot, sorry, I thought I'd know better! :sealed: Thank you for this great addon! :)

Quick question I can't seem to find the answer or that anyone else asked.

Shouldn't the greenhouse require CO2 and create Oxygen?
Is there currently no way of making oxygen?

I was just thinking of planetary bases, which it seems at the moment can't be self sustaining as we can't make oxygen.

19 minutes ago, CreepyD said:

Shouldn't the greenhouse require CO2 and create Oxygen?
Is there currently no way of making oxygen?

I was just thinking of planetary bases, which it seems at the moment can't be self sustaining as we can't make oxygen.

The greenhouse only produces food. Personally I've modified the ISRU to produce oxygen from ore (if they can produce oxidizer, why not oxygen?). Just create a .cfg file in the GameData folder with the following:

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleResourceConverter]]:NEEDS[Kerbalism]:FINAL {
	+MODULE[ModuleResourceConverter]:HAS[#ConverterName[Oxidizer]] {
		@ConverterName = Oxygen
		@StartActionName = Start ISRU [O2]
		@StopActionName = Stop ISRU [O2]
		@OUTPUT_RESOURCE:HAS[#ResourceName[Oxidizer]] {
			@ResourceName = Oxygen
			@Ratio *= 0.5
		}
	}
}

The large ISRU can produce enough oxygen for about 11 Kerbals with this setting (or less if you don't plan to run it continuously).

@ShotgunNinja You may want to consider adjusting satellite contracts for the next release:

// Adjust contracts
@Contracts {
	@Satellite {
		// Remove mystery goo and material bay
		-PART_REQUEST:HAS[#Part[GooExperiment]] { }
		-PART_REQUEST:HAS[#Part[science_module]] { }
		// Copy the thermometer entry for the geiger counter
		+PART_REQUEST:HAS[#Part[sensorThermometer]] {
			@PartDescription = geiger counter
			@Part = GeigerCounter
		}
	}
	@Station {
		// Copy the science lab entry for the greenhouse
		+PART_REQUEST:HAS[#Part[Large_Crewed_Lab]] {
			@PartDescription = greenhouse
			@Part = Greenhouse
			@Keyword = Commercial
			-Module { }
		}
	}
}

From my testing it doesn't seem to break previous contracts that included those parts.

Edited by leomike
Added greenhouse for station

@ShotgunNinja If I understand correctly, relay probes don't consume EC when relaying a science transmission? I tried increasing relay_cost but this affect EC consumption even when nothing is being transmitted. It would be nice if there was a cost to transmission for relay satellites.

@leomike Thanks for the contract patches, I'll include them in next version.

The relay cost is applied when the vessel is relaying signal from at least one vessel. Consuming EC on the vessels in the relay path when science is transmitted was considered earlier but it has negligible effects overall, and complicate how that path is determined in the first place (as now the network is specific for some particular vessel and change depending on the amount of data transmitted, that in turn influence EC required and determine if a vessel is a valid relay).

@ShotgunNinja I have a bug to report, at the fastest timewarp, food production is slowering down.

Another thing: Say you have 10 part that can contain kerbal, you shield all of them exept one. The result is bearly better than no sheild at all. So having a lander attached to a interplaneraty spaceship result in having almost nothing. I realise that if I was using connected living space it would be a lesser problem, but it seem a bit abusive. Same goes with a capsule partialy shield.

Keep up the good work, your mod is awesome.

@RedParadize I'm aware of that bug and is fixed already in next unreleased version. Shielding (and quality of life) is averaged over the whole vessel, if you want Kerbalism to calculate those values for different internal spaces just install ConnectedLivingSpace.

Edited by ShotgunNinja