[1.2, 1.3] KW Rocketry Redux 3.1.1.1 released

linuxgurugamer

Did the 3.75m to 5m interstage adapter (aka Saturn 2nd to 3rd stage adapter) get dropped from the last release? I'm not seeing it in the Structural parts.

On 7/22/2016 at 11:16 PM, Jack Wolfe said:

Did the 3.75m to 5m interstage adapter (aka Saturn 2nd to 3rd stage adapter) get dropped from the last release? I'm not seeing it in the Structural parts.

No, it's there.  assuming you are in career mode, you need to unlock metaMaterials  

• 3 weeks later...
On 24/07/2016 at 5:30 AM, linuxgurugamer said:

No, it's there.  assuming you are in career mode, you need to unlock metaMaterials  

Sorry, just getting back to this now. I'm in sandbox, and the part most decidedly is not there. But that's fine. I've found other solutions to make up the gap.

• 3 weeks later...

Some of the structural components and the vast majority of the engines arent showing up in either the tech tree or in sandbox mode for me. Running vanilla KSP with KW 3.0.12 installed and nada.

EDIT: Ok so it looks like a whole bunch of part.cfg files are straight up missing from the 3.0.12 RAR but not the 3.0.11 RAR (which works as it should). May wanna check up on that.

Edited by Citizen Joe

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey crew, been lurking for a while without contributing. KW's been an 'essential' mod in my pack for years and I've done a lot of custom tweaks and fixes of my own.

I had a thought last night while playing: I have not been able to get my favorite part working properly since 1.1: the petal adapter. I think it's due to construction and staging changes that prevent it from working with the hidden inner node, and the craft no longer disengages from that node properly, and when this mod was originally built the fairings were a compromise because procedural didn't exist at the time.

What would be involved in removing these petals completely and replacing them with procedural fairings the way the other aeroshell bases have done? This way you can still retain the use of the bay (the bay walls look so much better than putting a lander/payload inside of the other fairing bases), and it would replicate the function of the SLA in later Apollo missions where the panels were jettisoned after the bay opened. I don't know if anyone has the model files and would be able to remove the petals, though.

KSP 1.1.3 on Win64. I'm finding that the huge 2.5m tank, SB-4A LFT (unpainted), has some trouble when used as a drop tank and with Liquid Hydrogen fuel.

When connected for transfer to another tank, I find that it stops producing thrust when it gets down to about 10%, like it switched over to LF/O for some reason. The fuel keeps getting consumed, but no thrust is provided. Again, the whole think works FINE until the tanks gets down to about 10%. I had to ditch the tanks at that point so that the central dedicated cryotank feeds the engine, and that produces thrust again.

If I use the stock big orange tanks instead of the SB-4A LFT, I get no such behavior on Liquid Hydrogen.

If I use a cryogenic engine with LH/O, I get no such behavior.

I'm using the tanks for the initial ejection burns with Nertea's 'Kerbal Atomics' Liberator nuclear rocket engine. I love how huge and light they are.

So...some odd combination of using Liquid Hydrogen on this tank, plus configured as a drop tank (feeding a central dedicated cryotank).

Quite odd.

Edited by Starfire70

13 hours ago, Starfire70 said:

KSP 1.1.3 on Win64. I'm finding that the huge 2.5m tank, SB-4A LFT (unpainted), has some trouble when used as a drop tank and with Liquid Hydrogen fuel.

When connected for transfer to another tank, I find that it stops producing thrust when it gets down to about 10%, like it switched over to LF/O for some reason. The fuel keeps getting consumed, but no thrust is provided. Again, the whole think works FINE until the tanks gets down to about 10%. I had to ditch the tanks at that point so that the central dedicated cryotank feeds the engine, and that produces thrust again.

If I use the stock big orange tanks instead of the SB-4A LFT, I get no such behavior on Liquid Hydrogen.

If I use a cryogenic engine with LH/O, I get no such behavior.

I'm using the tanks for the initial ejection burns with Nertea's 'Kerbal Atomics' Liberator nuclear rocket engine. I love how huge and light they are.

So...some odd combination of using Liquid Hydrogen on this tank, plus configured as a drop tank (feeding a central dedicated cryotank).

Quite odd.

Quite odd, but no relevance to this.  You are using some sort of mod which alters the resources which can be stored in a tank;  the standard tank only has Liquidfuel and oxidizer.  As soon as you said "Liquid Hydrogen", it became some other mod's fault.  

Whatever mod you are using, check to see how it works with Liquid Hydrogen.  I can't help you, especially since you didn't bother to provide either a log file or at least even which mod you were using to get LH2

8 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Quite odd, but no relevance to this.  You are using some sort of mod which alters the resources which can be stored in a tank;  the standard tank only has Liquidfuel and oxidizer.  As soon as you said "Liquid Hydrogen", it became some other mod's fault.  

Whatever mod you are using, check to see how it works with Liquid Hydrogen.  I can't help you, especially since you didn't bother to provide either a log file or at least even which mod you were using to get LH2

Ya, just wondered if anyone else had run into it.

Also, annoyingly, it turns out that is doesn't happen every time. I took the same design up a third time, and the tanks emptied and provided thrust as normal. Ugh, inconsistent issues are the hardest to troubleshoot.

Thanks for replying.

1 hour ago, Starfire70 said:

Ya, just wondered if anyone else had run into it.

Also, annoyingly, it turns out that is doesn't happen every time. I took the same design up a third time, and the tanks emptied and provided thrust as normal. Ugh, inconsistent issues are the hardest to troubleshoot.

Thanks for replying.

Would still help if I could see the log

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Commissar said:

working on 1.2? (no real reason it shouldn't, it's 99% parts)

Let's see and find out. Just installed it on 1.2. Will let you know.

Edit 1: As expected I get an incompatibility warning on start-up. But that does not mean it won't work.

Edit 2: So far so good. Parts show up in the VAB and engines function in flight. Only issue I found thus far is that the decouplers are located in the Structural tab instead of Coupling. And fairings are under Aerodynamic instead of Payload. Pretty sure that can easily be fixed with a MM patch.

Edited by Tex_NL

1 hour ago, Tex_NL said:

Let's see and find out. Just installed it on 1.2. Will let you know.

Edit 1: As expected I get an incompatibility warning on start-up. But that does not mean it won't work.

Edit 2: So far so good. Parts show up in the VAB and engines function in flight. Only issue I found thus far is that the decouplers are located in the Structural tab instead of Coupling. And fairings are under Aerodynamic instead of Payload. Pretty sure that can easily be fixed with a MM patch.

yeah, they're new categories, so that's to be expected. heck, it's probably jsut a config thing.

edit: yes, it's config thing. i'll just make the needed changes to the configs... and figure out how to put it on github

edit2: pull request is in. all up to @linuxgurugamer now.. lol

Edited by Commissar

1 hour ago, Commissar said:

yeah, they're new categories, so that's to be expected. heck, it's probably jsut a config thing.

edit: yes, it's config thing. i'll just make the needed changes to the configs... and figure out how to put it on github

edit2: pull request is in. all up to @linuxgurugamer now.. lol

Thanks, I'll get to it this weekend.

I'm rather busy with all the updates, so if you find anything else, please let me know, more PRs will be helpful.

After dinner I took a closer look at KWR and found a few more issues. Well, it's more like a single larger issue: KWR is in desperate need of some balancing.

The 1.25 Stack Decoupler for example is the KWR counterpart to the stock TR-18A. The KWR decoupler has a much lower profile but it is five times heavier. 0.25t vs 0.05t.

Edited by Tex_NL

1 hour ago, Tex_NL said:

After dinner I took a closer look at KWR and found a few more issues. Well, it's more like a single larger issue: KWR is in desperate need of some balancing.

The 1.25 Stack Decoupler for example is the KWR counterpart to the stock TR-18A. The KWR decoupler has a much lower profile but it is five times heavier. 0.25t vs 0.05t.

another config thing... i'll leave that up to the maintainer as to whether he wants to do that