Rocket Naming puns

ToukieToucan

@SAI Peregrinus, have you tried Gratuitous Space Battles? The naming convention of the federation race is very 'Banksian'.

A few that i made for a different game:

Cold Caller (trader)

Open to the Public (trader)

Im not Fat, its all this cargo (hauler)

I wish i were a fish (miner)

What Laser? (cruiser, with insane shields)

Some Assembly Required (mobile shipyard ship)

I name classes rather than individual crafts, and I use names primarily from Norse mythology. Choose names that at least partially have connections to the crafts purpose.

Mun/Minmus capable vessels and interplanetary landers: Hugin 

Rovers: Munin

Large rovers: Gullfax

Interplanetary ships: Sleipnir 

SSTO spaceplanes: Loki 

Regular planes: Fenrir

Space Shuttles: Freya

Probes: Kvasir

Bases: Yggdrasil

Space stations: Valhalla

Orbital Utility Crafts: Heimdal

I'm such a nerd.:lol:

I can't take credit for this, but a good mate of mine called his very large and expansive Space Station 'Not-A-Moon' (in case it isn't obvious enough, "That's no moon..."). Then again the same guy had a rocket series he called Big Shiny 1-Big Shiny 5...

Bug-E (rover) and Hopper (Mk1 Pod+Flea booster) I think are now both stock craft, but I doubt I'm alone in having used both those names for not-disimilar crafts before they were official crafts. Actually I had a whole series of '-opper' rockets for early career - after Hopper (low atmo): Flopper (High atmo), Topper (Sub-orbital) and Whopper (Orbit).

In my most recent career I'm RPing the craft names a little, giving them a make-and-model system. Couple of my favourites is the Maharajah Nova and Maharajah Supernova business jets, or the Emmental Gusto superheavy fuel transport.

For me, coming up with this stuff is almost a minigame in itself :)

Edited by The_Rocketeer

My rocket naming scheme isn't really complex, I just choose a word that seems fitting and slap 'Mk.l' on it. If I modify the craft, I change 'Mk.l' to 'Mk.ll' and so on.

Here are a few examples I've used before;

Resource Satellite:  "Horizon - Mk.l"

Jet plane:  "Sparrow - Mk.l"

Third edition of a Science-based Rocket:  "Understanding Intelligience - Mk.lll"

Seventh edition of Payload rocket:  "Simpleton - Mk.Vll"

On 5/20/2016 at 5:45 AM, FyunchClick said:

Being a Banks fan, I always liked the entries on this list (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_spacecraft_in_the_Culture_series) although there's just a few that I would consider Kerbally.

The Funny, It Worked Last Time..., I Thought He Was With You, Only Slightly Bent and Ultimate Ship The Second are a few names that seem to describe a situation I've had in KSP at some point though..

I tend to name classes rather than individual ships, but I do have some ships that are the sole members of their class.

I've got one that I like to use for huge, over-engineered space tugs using advanced propulsion technologies (thanks, KSPI-E).

Because it's very much a "brute-force" design, I call it the So Much for Subtlety! class. They're so expensive I usually only get to build one per career play-thru, but it's got a warp drive, antimatter reactor, and magnetic nozzle, so it's infinitely reusable so long I fly it right.
I also usually build a warp-capable crew ferry, but I haven't come up with a name for it yet.

Asparagus lifters that go beyond 7-cores wide fall into the Brute force and Ignorance class. This is usually what happens when I just need to move a lot of stuff into space, and I don't really care how it gets there. Yes, this is my "More Boosters" class.

I've recently developed an odd pattern for a lifter. It uses 2 layers of 7 cores each, and it's all Asparagus staged (lower layer feeds into upper layer, upper layer engines ignite when the lower layer in-line is staged off, otherwise it's standard asparagus).
I call it the Disintegrating Totem Pole. It's my most complex and highest performing lifter to date, and I can replicate it to other diameters at will now that I know the concept works. I tested a 3 layer version with 1.25m cores, and it got 15km/s delta-v with just a HECS-2 probe core stuck on top. I'm certain I could get much more delta-v out of this kind of design, as the top layer was pushing 1.5-2 g with just LV-909's. What can I say, it was a proof of concept.

Edited by SciMan

On 5/18/2016 at 7:23 PM, Jeb1969 said:

Typically with Launch Vehicles I use random names such as "Hylias", "Xanadu", 'Chevalier" etc

Xanadu? From your icon I never would have guessed. :)

May I suggest By-Tor? 

In my Spartan Space Program series, aircraft are named after mesons, recoverable science probes (essentially big sounding rockets) are named Extra- and then a Roman numeral, and commsats, once I get some up, will be called COMM-[name of object they service]-

-[code indicating primary antenna type]. A Roman numeral is added to differentiate satellites in a constellation.

So a concept commsat with 4 million meter ranged Omni antennas for a set of four probes in LKO would be called COMM-KERBIN-4M-O I (or II, or III, or IV)

A commsat with a dish providing coverage of the Mun from LKO would be called COMM-MUN-40M-D or similar.

In my latest career, I'm naming all my rocket series' after British cities, incrementing whenever I change the design so:

1. Ipswich series - parts test vehicles

2. Manchester series - main line rockets

3. Liverpool series - anything dedicated to science acquisition

4. Lancaster series - space tourism vehicles

5. Cambridge series - space rescue vehicles

I have no naming system. Some names: 

Watney Class Cruiser 

+Watney Class Cruiser 

Diamond Class Tug 

Random Class Cruiser 

Weirdness and Stuff Class Cruiser 

I Have No Idea What I'm Doing Class Cruiser 

OMGYESIMAT500REP Class Cruiser 

Turtles Class Cruiser 

Skyslasher

I have a lot more names too. Some mothership names: 

KSS lag 

KSS AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA 

KSS this ship hates physics warp 

I usually build probes and name them after the planet they are going to, and have the mission number after it.

Also, I built some Delta-like rockets in KSP and actually gave them the name Dirac, after the mathematical function dirac delta. It just seemed fitting.

I haven't uploaded them yet, but they're amazingly good for Deep Space travel.

The Decision at Duna (a play on an Anne McCaffrey book Decision at Doona).

Edit:Now that I think upon it: The Gravity Insistent;  The Throw Back; The Down Under.

Edited by kBob

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.