Is there an easy way to update mods you're using

It's a pain in the S to install the Mono framework needed to run CKAN on Mac OS:

https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/CKAN/wiki/Installing-CKAN-on-OSX

I have tried a couple times and never quite succeeded.  Secondly the install footprint for Mono is pretty large, and I'm always near the limit with my 256gb SSD.  I'm happy with update notifications from SpaceDock, github, and Curse.  But I'm not a heavy modder.

9 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

I just bookmark all the mods I use, and open them all every once in a while to check if they're updated.

This is just what KSP-AVC is made for. It compares versions and provides you with download links but does not touch the KSP install.

3 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

I thought KSP-AVC was for modders, not users?

Modders need to support it by including a modname.version file in their mod. It contains a version, and an URL to the latest version.

Users can install AVC, which compares the installed version with that found at the URL, and notifies you if the remote version number is higher. Very useful for any modded install that does not use CKAN.

16 minutes ago, pellinor said:

Modders need to support it by including a modname.version file in their mod. It contains a version, and an URL to the latest version.

Users can install AVC, which compares the installed version with that found at the URL, and notifies you if the remote version number is higher. Very useful for any modded install that does not use CKAN.

Ah. So it works for a tiny fraction of mods, and is therefore less useful than CKAN which at least supports most mods.

If I have to maintain my list of bookmarks for 9 out of every 10 mods, I'm better off just bookmarking all 10.

EDIT: I just checked, and about half of my installed mods include this .version file

Ah. So it works for about half of all mods, and is therefore less useful than CKAN which at least supports almost all mods.

If I have to maintain my list of bookmarks for 50% of my mods, I'm better off just bookmarking all of them.

Edited by 5thHorseman

13 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

Ah. So it works for a tiny fraction of mods, and is therefore less useful than CKAN which at least supports most mods.

If I have to maintain my list of bookmarks for 9 out of every 10 mods, I'm better off just bookmarking all 10.

Why don't you just try it, AVC is lightweight and leaves no trace in the install. version files are more common than you might think. From my experience it's more like 9 out of 10 mods with frequent updates support AVC.

Edit: too late :wink:

Edited by pellinor

4 minutes ago, pellinor said:

Why don't you just try it, AVC is lightweight and leaves no trace in the install. version files are more common than you might think. From my experience it's more like 9 out of 10 mods with frequent updates support AVC.

I actually already have :) But I'm'a keep my own list just in case :)

EDIT:

Aaaand I've uninstalled it. CKAN (and my bookmark method) tells you when mods are available. AVC tells you when they're out of date. I don't care when they're out of date. I care when there's a new version out.

Edited by 5thHorseman

15 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

EDIT: I just checked, and about half of my installed mods include this .version file

Ah. So it works for about half of all mods, and is therefore less useful than CKAN which at least supports almost all mods.

If I have to maintain my list of bookmarks for 50% of my, I'm better off just bookmarking all of them.

Well, you can lead a horse to water, but..... :wink:

CKAN most DEFINATELY does NOT support all mods...(Maybe all YOUR mods (that you use))...

You could improve KSP-AVC by requesting your favorite mods' authors to include support for it...

Just now, Stone Blue said:

CKAN most DEFINATELY does NOT support all mods...(Maybe all YOUR mods (that you use))...

You could improve KSP-AVC by requesting your favorite mods' authors to include support for it...

I never said it supported all mods, I said it supported more mods than AVC. I also said the fact that it wasn't 100% for my own mods meant I won't use it.

I also frickin' hate every single post where people beg modders to submit their mods to CKAN, so would never, EVER do the same for AVC.

The short of it is, if I want to be 100% sure that I've got 100% coverage of all mods I use, the only way to do it is to actually check the forum or the mod's download page.

10 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

...If computers have taught me one thing, it's that letting them manage my stuff for me never works.

I LOL'd - just been installing Ubuntu so I can get some control back from Windows 10.

2 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

I also frickin' hate every single post where people beg modders to submit their mods to CKAN, so would never, EVER do the same for AVC.

I agree... I literally cringe everytime I see even the slightest mention of CKAN... Its even worse on the Kerbal reddits...

However, politely asking one time by PM if an author would consider supporting KSP-AVC, I think is quite different than practically demanding it, or demanding updates when CKAN chokes and cant properly handle the metadata...Especially when there are already several posts doing the same...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.