EVA Re-Entry

Fireheart318

1 hour ago, tseitsei89 said:

How do you survive reentry heat? Doesnt your kerbal just overheat very quickly and explode while entering atmosphere at +2km/s velocities

I think it's doable as long as you don't dip right into it. I may be mistaken, but if you lower your Apo and Peri to about 70km it's totally doable.

I did it quite easily pre-1.0.5, but my impression was that 1.0.5 cranked up the heating enough that it became unworkable.  (Before 1.0.5, it was no problem at all, even arriving from Minmus at nearly 3 km/s.)

However, I haven't tried it post-1.1, nor did I devote much effort to experimenting with various orbital parameters in 1.0.5 to try to find a sweet spot.  Might be worth another look.

4 minutes ago, Snark said:

I did it quite easily pre-1.0.5, but my impression was that 1.0.5 cranked up the heating enough that it became unworkable.  (Before 1.0.5, it was no problem at all, even arriving from Minmus at nearly 3 km/s.)

However, I haven't tried it post-1.1, nor did I devote much effort to experimenting with various orbital parameters in 1.0.5 to try to find a sweet spot.  Might be worth another look.

Ditto ^^. But then since Kerbals are basically immortal, I don't believe I've been in a stable orbit scenario where EVA re-entry was the best remaining option.

Pre 1.0.5 I had a kerbal with an AP of 100km and PE roughly 30 km who I thought was gonna die for sure.  Tried desperately to keep him in orbit but lacked the required thrust so after I entered the atmosphere I figured what the heck and watched him survive re-entry(still amazed that 6 minutes of being on fire didn't kill him) and was sure he would explode when hit the surface .  Instead he bounced a couple meters and promptly stood up.  

After that I promoted him so much that he doesn't have to go to space at all or do anything risky

How well you do in re-entry always depends on how steep you go in.

Look at it this way.  An approach to atmosphere is like jumping into water from a diving board.   The lower the board approximates a shallow entry into atmosphere.  The higher the board, a steeper descent as water becomes more resistant to your kinetic approach.  Hitting atmo anywhere about 3km/s is pretty much the same as jumping off the Golden Gate Bridge into the bay.  That water is going to be like hitting solid rock from there. Unless you are merely aerobraking and not just going straight down, something is going to go boom.

If you want to successfully survive re-entry via EVA, you will want to go in as shallow as possible while making sure you don't just skip back out.  Lithobraking, as in landing with a kerbal that just has an EVA pack, is a completely different story.  You could always take Bill's approach as far as that...as seen here:

On 6/5/2016 at 0:05 PM, DD_bwest said:

ya ive done this a few times and laughed pretty hard the first time i survived it lol

someone needs to make a MOOSE mod, if their isnt one already lol

@RoverDude's "USI Survivability Pack" includes the D.E.R.P., a one-seat evacuation pod capable of re-entry. Challenging to use effectively but fun to play with.

9 hours ago, samstarman5 said:

How well you do in re-entry always depends on how steep you go in.

-Snipped for length-

You're totally right about angle being crucial, but the rest of your analysis is off. Sometimes a steeper dive to where atmosphere can slow you more is exactly what's needed.

Sure, you'll end up with higher skin temp. but there's scenarios where the lower core heating is necessary/advisable.

Can't speak to how this applies to EVA reentry, never tried it. Does that work more because of the ridiculous survivability of their suits, the OP nature of their thrusters, or about equal measures of both? Would love to try it if it's still viable. :P

So many kerbals have suddenly found themselves re-entering Kerbin's atmosphere sans even just a cockpit this day. I am damn sure of that.

I should iterate my thoughts on the matter are in the context of the game alone. In no way do I base this on thoughts of actual human re-entry in just a spacesuit, nor do I encourage anyone to try it. Unless you are Adam Savage and still have access to Buster and a good spacesuit.  SpaceX and/or the Russian Space Agency should be willing to give you a lift...

I did it a few times in 1.05.

The trick, was to come in with a high periapsis, then wait till things started getting hot for your Kerbal.

At the right moment, burn Up and Retrograde simultaneously till the fuel was gone.  You'd then survive re-entry, but the landing was another matter..

On June 5, 2016 at 4:43 PM, tseitsei89 said:

How do you survive reentry heat? Doesnt your kerbal just overheat very quickly and explode while entering atmosphere at +2km/s velocities

I know the entire video was EXTREMELY HORRIBLE (I'm gonna re-make it some day) but watch this: 

On 6/8/2016 at 4:51 AM, How to: KSP said:

I think it's just impossible. The heating will make the kerbal fried chicken before he reaches 40 kms in altitude

Ummmmmm, fried kerbal ........ the take-out choice of Kracken's everywhere!   :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.