Eclipse?

Papahemmy

10 minutes ago, KerikBalm said:

Is there a mod that adds shadows cast by celestial bodies on other celestial bodies?! or is this an edited image?

On 6/12/2016 at 2:17 PM, cubinator said:

The mod Scatterer adds some really cool visual effects for eclipses, you should check that out if you haven't already.

2 hours ago, KerikBalm said:

Is there a mod that adds shadows cast by celestial bodies on other celestial bodies?! or is this an edited image?

Whoops, you mean that's not a stock effect? It's not edited, so the only mod I have that would do that (I think) would be EVE

45 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Whoops, you mean that's not a stock effect? It's not edited, so the only mod I have that would do that (I think) would be EVE

Eve does do that,  and so does Scatterer (which will soon also add planetshine), but if  remember correctly, it is a WIP feature in both mods.

Edited by LaytheDragon

1 hour ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Not yet, anyway. I am willing to bet the 64-bit upgrade might just make that a solid stock possibility.  Just gotta remember for the time being that even if you can't see the shadow, your solar panels do.

10 hours ago, KerikBalm said:

I must confess to being confused. Isn't this the literal definition of what an eclipse is?

3 hours ago, strigon said:

I must confess to being confused. Isn't this the literal definition of what an eclipse is?

It is, but the game's rendering doesn't allow for it beyond a set distance. That distance being set due to limitations.  Rendering lighting and shadows is highly taxing, and gets even more so the longer the distance, and KSP involves a lot of distance.  Mods that incorporate drawing the shadow onto neighboring worlds and craft involve a workaround that doesn't really do the effect justice, such as that image of Ike casting its shadow on Duna.  Looks more like the Black Spot on Jupiter as seen in the movie 2010.

5 hours ago, strigon said:

Well... basically... In KSP, you well see the Mun(for instance) block out the sun, and solar panels will stop working... but all around still looks like the sun is shining. There is no shadow on the planet.

The game renders the Mun as being closer than the sun, the game seems to check line of sight on the panels... but it doesn't go beyond that to draw shadows cast by Mun on Kerbin

A real world eclipse of course has a shadow cast by once celestial body on another. A stock KSP eclipse does not.

2 hours ago, samstarman5 said:

Rendering lighting and shadows is highly taxing, and gets even more so the longer the distance, and KSP involves a lot of distance.  Mods that incorporate drawing the shadow onto neighboring worlds and craft involve a workaround that doesn't really do the effect justice, such as that image of Ike casting its shadow on Duna.  Looks more like the Black Spot on Jupiter as seen in the movie 2010.

WOuld it be so hard ot just make the dark spot drawn like that "fuzzy" around the edges (ie, a gradient), and just have the width of the fuzzy area calculated differently for each body (its a pretty simple calculation).

Does the effect only show up in map view (or scaled space)?

20 hours ago, KerikBalm said:

Well... basically... In KSP, you well see the Mun(for instance) block out the sun, and solar panels will stop working... but all around still looks like the sun is shining. There is no shadow on the planet.

The game renders the Mun as being closer than the sun, the game seems to check line of sight on the panels... but it doesn't go beyond that to draw shadows cast by Mun on Kerbin

A real world eclipse of course has a shadow cast by once celestial body on another. A stock KSP eclipse does not.

WOuld it be so hard ot just make the dark spot drawn like that "fuzzy" around the edges (ie, a gradient), and just have the width of the fuzzy area calculated differently for each body (its a pretty simple calculation).

Does the effect only show up in map view (or scaled space)?

It wouldn't be Hard, but it would require a whole separate coding to determine the positioning and such.  When you add in it happening with more than one body in the solar system(Jool's system would be bonkers), that adds up to a lot of memory and processing.  Which adds to the lag. And likely a lot of issues.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.