Magic Boulder is Back

Brownhair2

1 hour ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

Forget Tylo! Pol now has the Kraken, and it must be returned to Bop!

(Don't worry, I find the Tylo Cave awesome too :wink:)

wait what? Is the Kraken actually on Pol? Because if so, I will be so upset.

Edited by GregroxMun

1 hour ago, Astrofox said:

I tried to rendezvous with an asteroid yesterday, but I didn't get a magic boulder-like object. Instead I got a dull gray rock.

I tried to ask this question a bit earlier, but is the magic boulder a random spawn, or is it supposed to happen every time you rendezvous with an asteroid (potatoroid).

It's random. Not all asteroids are magic boulders

The kraken is very active on pol as remember the invisible ground? I have a theory about the magic Boulder. Remember the giant crater on Ike? is it still there? but they told us it was a glitch... Nope. It is a coverup. And the colored asteroids are also one. And remember pol. It has uneven terrain. Enlarged magic Boulder also has it. In certain colorations, ore levels are green in certain areas on pol... And the kraken=kinda magic right? Kraken stuff on pol... 

POL IS THE MAGIC BOULDER.

Edited by 322997am

Just now, ThatGuyWithALongUsername said:

Yes, there are multiple

Meh... This is not at all in the spirit of the magic boulder. These are not magic boulders. Bring back the magic boulder!! There is only one true magic boulder..

Edited by Majorjim

15 hours ago, Majorjim said:

So to find it we have to visit small asteroids in the hope one of them is the magic one?

Squad should have hidden it around a Jool moon and left clues all over the solar system. Now that would have been cool.

I agree, theres not enough mystery and conspiracies in this game  XD

Just now, Gman_builder said:

I agree, theres not enough mystery and conspiracies in this game  XD

Making multiple randomly generated boulders is so boring and un-magical. Make it as it was, a single magical object that kills all who dare touch it.

Edited by Majorjim

27 minutes ago, GregroxMun said:

wait what? Is the Kraken actually on Pol? Because if so, I will be so upset.

No, I just checked and it's still on Bop where it belongs.

52 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

I spent a good amount of time looking for the cave last night and didn't find it. Is it in the same spot?

Yes.  Here's a couple screenshots of it

zqzPzfC.png

PW9TGsz.png

For Kraken's sake the least they could have done is make magic boulderoids only spawn around Ike! Almost all of these easter egg changes make me quite upset.

• Magic Boulders spawn everywhere, randomly. They should spawn only around Ike, after a spaceship is in orbit around Ike to observe them.
  • Magic Boulders (and any other types of asteroids) all have generic science reports.
  • All of the easter eggs are far too large now. The monolith is visible from KSC, for Kraken's sake. Why not just make them always on the surface ground? It might require a rather chunky re-write of PQScity, but at least it would allow for reasonably sized monoliths
  • Still no colliders for Monoliths.
  • Tapered shape, Squad Logo, giant size on the Munoliths. I know the first two issues are an old thing, sure. I still don't like it. They ought to just be a black rectangular prism with side lengths 1:4:9, scaled so that a Kerbal height in comparison to a Munolith is the same as a Human height is compared to a Monolith.
  • The KSC2 should be made up of Tier 2 and Tier 1 Space Center parts. Get rid of those excruciatingly ugly models and unnecessarily huge textures, and use what you already have. A major part of why the current KSC was made to be so clean and low on texture size was specifically because of the problems which the original KSC2 had.
    • T2 VAB, Launchpad, and Mission Control building
    • T1 Tracking Station
    • None of the other space center buildings.
    • A plaque with a picture of the old KSC2 to commemorate its existence.
    • An R-7 Semyorka-type rocket on the launchpad. Maybe done so that if you try to get in the pod, the rocket will lift off and boost into orbit under autopilot.
  • Please, if you do anything on this list, make the magic boulders appear around Ike only!
  • Ike-only magic boulders!
  • #BringBackTheMagicBoulderAroundIke.
  • Ike is the only object that should have magic boulders.
  • To be fair, I do like the procedural generation of magic boulders, and the extra colors. It is quite nice, I have to say. I just don't think they should spawn just anywhere.
Edited by GregroxMun

We need a Hall of Fame on some planet called "Hall of Keveloper" ( the K name in honor to NovaSilisko :D ) with kerbal statues of the devs who worked on ksp like so: 

Spoiler

154-squad-jpg

Edited by StainX

31 minutes ago, Majorjim said:

Making multiple randomly generated boulders is so boring and un-magical. Make it as it was, a single magical object that kills all who dare touch it. What a disappointment..

I think that the magic boulder should be a singular object, but have it re-mastered.(texture wise) It should also be in a mysterious highly elliptical and highly inclined orbit around Kerbol. Maybe out to somewhere bewteen Jool and Eeloo, but down to lower than Moho. So it could be a in-game analog to the controversial Planet 9. Maybe you would have to go on a treasure hunt through the solar system, picking up clues on its orbit. The clues could be the inclination, apoapse and periapse, and its relative location along that orbit. So you could plan a encounter. When you finally reach the boulder it could unlock wardrive or something similar as a reward for completeling the game's most daunting task.

36 minutes ago, GregroxMun said:

For Kraken's sake the least they could have done is make magic boulderoids only spawn around Ike! Almost all of these easter egg changes make me quite upset.

• Magic Boulders spawn everywhere, randomly. They should spawn only around Ike, after a spaceship is in orbit around Ike to observe them.
  • Magic Boulders (and any other types of asteroids) all have generic science reports.
  • All of the easter eggs are far too large now. The monolith is visible from KSC, for Kraken's sake. Why not just make them always on the surface ground? It might require a rather chunky re-write of PQScity, but at least it would allow for reasonably sized monoliths
  • Still no colliders for Monoliths.
  • Tapered shape, Squad Logo, giant size on the Munoliths. I know the first two issues are an old thing, sure. I still don't like it. They ought to just be a black rectangular prism with side lengths 1:4:9, scaled so that a Kerbal height in comparison to a Munolith is the same as a Human height is compared to a Monolith.
  • The KSC2 should be made up of Tier 2 and Tier 1 Space Center parts. Get rid of those excruciatingly ugly models and unnecessarily huge textures, and use what you already have. A major part of why the current KSC was made to be so clean and low on texture size was specifically because of the problems which the original KSC2 had.
    • T2 VAB, Launchpad, and Mission Control building
    • T1 Tracking Station
    • None of the other space center buildings.
    • A plaque with a picture of the old KSC2 to commemorate its existence.
    • An R-7 Semyorka-type rocket on the launchpad. Maybe done so that if you try to get in the pod, the rocket will lift off and boost into orbit under autopilot.
  • Please, if you do anything on this list, make the magic boulders appear around Ike only!
  • Ike-only magic boulders!
  • #BringBackTheMagicBoulderAroundIke.
  • Ike is the only object that should have magic boulders.
  • To be fair, I do like the procedural generation of magic boulders, and the extra colors. It is quite nice, I have to say. I just don't think they should spawn just anywhere.

I agree with everything except maybe the KSC 2 ideas...

I really don't want to start this up again, but if you're changing the KSC 2, why not... bring back a certain barn? Just, you know, because why not.

Or just leave it the same, sure, it's ugly, but it's kind of a monument to the old KSC.

Also, some Easter eggs should stay huge. The Tylo cave, for example. 

1 minute ago, ThatGuyWithALongUsername said:

Or just leave it the same, sure, it's ugly, but it's kind of a monument to the old KSC.

As I said, there's a reason why the KSC2 models need to go. They're inefficient, huge textures which look terrible and take up far far too much space. And again, as I said, the main reason the new KSC textures were made so light, multipurpose, and reusable was specifically so that they would take up less space. And just because we have x64 support for KSP now does NOT mean that Squad should just keep doing things inefficient and unoptimized.

You know what the developers should also bring back in a future update?

Killed In Action screens.

We know they are still in the game, as can be seen when an IVA glitches out, so it'd be nice to see it come back for the people who played KSP in it's early days.

2 minutes ago, Astrofox said:

@GregroxMun

I think that KSC2 is a relic of old, and should be kept at as is. However, I wouldn't be so surprised if they added a KSC3 with the original barn idea...

Plus, there may be a way to make the old KSC textures a bit less horrible.

We already have a relic of old: The Old Parts in the island runway. Besides, as I said there could still be a plaque with a picture of the old KSC2. Maybe even a little 1/1000 scale model of the old KSC circa 0.20 on a plaque near KSC2's VAB. All with extremely tiny textures to match. I think that compromise option could work (though it would still keep the inefficient and strange models, at least the textures wouldn't be an issue. You'd get the old version history part, and it would make sense in-universe.

45 minutes ago, GregroxMun said:

As I said, there's a reason why the KSC2 models need to go. They're inefficient, huge textures which look terrible and take up far far too much space. And again, as I said, the main reason the new KSC textures were made so light, multipurpose, and reusable was specifically so that they would take up less space. And just because we have x64 support for KSP now does NOT mean that Squad should just keep doing things inefficient and unoptimized.

Since the old textures are simple, one could probably make them more efficient while having then still look the same. For example, the parts that are only one color can be condensed down to a few pixels, and quite a few of the other textures can be decals that don't take up too much space.

Even though we already have the old parts in the island airfield, just one more "relic of the old" to commemorate the old KSC isn't that bad.

This thread is getting enormously off-topic, maybe this argument should get its own thread.

ON TOPIC: I wonder how many colors the Magic Boulders come in? Is there still a "classic" green one? If so, someone has to put it back around Ike, where it belongs. :)

1 minute ago, ThatGuyWithALongUsername said:

ON TOPIC: I wonder how many colors the Magic Boulders come in? Is there still a "classic" green one? If so, someone has to put it back around Ike, where it belongs. :)

Probably as many colors as the entire RGB Spectrum...

Say, is there a potatoroid config in the KSP directory?

Well, I've set up a base around KSC2 (a mining operation/fuel truck to efuel things that land nearby)... its functional in the sense that it allows 98% recovery on the grounds of KSC2, and a wheeled craft can drive up the ramp for 100% recovery. I would hope any changes don't alter the 3d shapes. I wouldn't be opposed to a retexture of KSC2 as a compromise

As to these magic boulders... its fun that they've given more thought to easter eggs (cave, monoliths that were below ground, etc... I need to go back and look for the rover cam on duna, and the SSTV signal source, or have someone else do it)

However... I don't like it so much in that they are tracked in the map view. The magic boulder was a mysterious UFO... and object passing by in the sky that wasn't tracked in map view, that required a rendevous without the usual intercept indicators.. one had to "eyeball it" with limited fuel at a location far from Kerbin... but by now Duna doesn't seem nearly so far... no place really seems so far now with ISRU, and without even consulting the wiki for its orbital parameters, I'm sure I could chase it down now in my career save if it was there.

It fit in well being nearby Duna with its "face"... and duna looking like a one habitable place... if we wanted to make it more distant, where ISRU is harder (due to lower power availability)... then I'd choose Laythe (potential habitability) or Val (near another relic face-> valhenge, and also still close to laythe).

The magic boulder should be a UFO.. something that you may see, but can't see on map view, and have to chase down to make sure you weren't chasing some non persistant debris (fairing pieces/borken solar panels) or sprite glitch (like when engine exhaust appears in front of your vessel).

You should have to visit a far off place... and notice something moving in the sky (or check the wiki and HE... yea.... thats always going to be an issue)

Yeah, the Magic Boulder should be around Ike again.

30 minutes ago, Astrofox said:

Admittedly, I checked and I have to ask: why is there a texture for a square button?

I have no idea. Hey, at least modders who may want to mess with the GUI have access to it, since you're not allowed to decompile the unity files that have all the non-part textures, right?

Kind of random, sure, but useful!

1 minute ago, max_creative said:

I've only ever heard of it. Never actually seen it in game because I joined in 1.0.5 only about 2 weeks before 1.1. 

PLEASE ORBIT DRES!!! PLEASE!!! 

PLEASE!!!

Please no.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.