Elcano Mission - Dolomedes Triton

Maverick_aus

1 hour ago, Maverick_aus said:

If you have any critical feedback at all let me know please.

I try really hard not to give unsolicited feedback, I guess for two reasons. Some people like to figure things out on their own, and/or I like watching (or helping) people do it their way instead of mine. :)

1 hour ago, Maverick_aus said:

do you think it's best to have the commentary in imgur as the description of each image, or in the forum post - I'm concerned whether people really read the imgur text as they look at the gallery inline in the forum post

I did a mix of both, partly because it's pretty easy to post the album somewhere else on a whim (if it's relevant to help someone else). But ultimately I think a few well made pictures with inline text (such as your map picture) makes for a more interesting blog/post about the journey. (Though that gets really hard to do after a dozen planets. :P ) I've sort of taken a liking to posting a few pics with the inline text, then adding a lightly annotated album at the end.

2 hours ago, Maverick_aus said:

One thing I can't change, which I would if I could, is rendering quality.

I assume you mean better rendering, and not just higher resolution pictures? There's a SCREENSHOT_SUPERSIZE option in the settings.cfg. Setting it to 2 would make the picture 2x2 larger (but I don't think that's what you're looking for).

On 16 July 2016 at 4:46 PM, Claw said:

I try really hard not to give unsolicited feedback, I guess for two reasons. Some people like to figure things out on their own, and/or I like watching (or helping) people do it their way instead of mine. :)

I did a mix of both, partly because it's pretty easy to post the album somewhere else on a whim (if it's relevant to help someone else). But ultimately I think a few well made pictures with inline text (such as your map picture) makes for a more interesting blog/post about the journey. (Though that gets really hard to do after a dozen planets. :P ) I've sort of taken a liking to posting a few pics with the inline text, then adding a lightly annotated album at the end.

I assume you mean better rendering, and not just higher resolution pictures? There's a SCREENSHOT_SUPERSIZE option in the settings.cfg. Setting it to 2 would make the picture 2x2 larger (but I don't think that's what you're looking for).

@Claw Thanks mate. The social aspect of all this is important to me. So I'm really enjoying being able to throw around ideas, and theories and plans in discussion with those who are interested and/or have done this before. 

RE: Rendering. Thanks for that. I didn't know about supersize.
I mean't the actual rendering settings in the graphics screen of the settings menu before you enter the game proper. i.e. the options which range from 'fastest to 'best looking'' or whatever they're called. I just meant, I can run the game with the best looking settings, but the game is unplayable whilst looking great. So I choose to leave it set to 'fast' or something. Sometimes for static screens I set the textures to high. 

This is Elcano'ing done right. My recent trip was very fast, but that's about all you can say for it - no scientific planning, no testing except a one-trick evolution for maximum range at speed, no overnight-stops, no exploration except what was right in my path. And tho I haven't finished the mission report yet, my mission met with near-catastophic problems that could probably have been avoided with more thorough testing and a diminished sense of urgency. By the time I got back, I couldn't help feeling I should have taken more time over it.

Bravo cobber!

8 hours ago, The_Rocketeer said:

Bravo cobber!

@The_Rocketeer Thank you very much. I appreciate your comments. I think part of it is it's a challenge that suits some personalities, and I really enjoy the careful (if imaginative!) testing and preparation, and happy to string the adventure out. For me it's definitely about the journey (although I understand there are other ways to do the challenge, or other ways to do similar challenges eg race). 

The other factor is the privilege of having a decent amount of discretionary time recently on holidays (I'm a full-time student), so I could afford to take the time to prepare and document as slowly as I cared, whilst imbuing as much narrative into the chronicling as I could muster. That's not something everyone has. 

Yes, if you're thinking of doing it at a more relaxed pace, I would encourage you to take you're time and take in the scenery, explore the world, let your imagination run away with you, and see where your Kerbal characters end up. You can do all this whilst still being satisfied at a sense of completion at the end I think. 

Sail on!

Days 4,5 & 6

The next leg

Highlights include: 

-peace and plain sailing
-well, until...The Kraken Bites!

In absence of the imgur album button which has vanished from the the forum post editor (and been replaced with a 'page' button...), here's a link to the album & commentary. 

http://imgur.com/a/nRhh2

Edited by Maverick_aus
trying to embed album

17 hours ago, Maverick_aus said:
Highlights include: 

-peace and plain sailing
-well, until...The Kraken Bites!

Well, that's a shame.  Hopefully rescue is available?  You're doing too well to stop here.

BTW, since you're in the neighborhood, be sure to visit what I call Brotoro Bay.  I think it's my favorite place on Kerbin.  Once Kerbal Constructs settles out after the change of management, I'm going to build a resort there.

2 hours ago, Geschosskopf said:

Well, that's a shame.  Hopefully rescue is available?  You're doing too well to stop here.

Ah, absolutely. Eventualities like this, such as require craft replacement, were planned for, my good man! Behold, a behemoth!

9SK6KIU.png

You may recall an earlier version which I used to test-drop a replacement vehicle, all droned up, so that it can drive itself to the stranded explorers. Stay tuned... (I love air dropping. I think it's one of my favourite things to do in KSP. Well, when all goes well, anyway.)

2 hours ago, Geschosskopf said:

BTW, since you're in the neighborhood, be sure to visit what I call Brotoro Bay.  I think it's my favorite place on Kerbin.  Once Kerbal Constructs settles out after the change of management, I'm going to build a resort there.

Yes - from the look of it, I'll be heading straight through there. I had in the back of my mind your comment about that place as I was surveying the shoreline recently, wondering where it was. Thanks for the coords. Also I'll check your Mission Report again now. Cool idea to build a resort! I had though that comment was an internal narrative element, not a actual plan. 

4 minutes ago, Maverick_aus said:

Ah, absolutely. Eventualities like this, such as require craft replacement, were planned for, my good man! Behold, a behemoth!

Good to hear!

43 minutes ago, Maverick_aus said:

Yes - from the look of it, I'll be heading straight through there. I had in the back of my mind your comment about that place as I was surveying the shoreline recently, wondering where it was. Thanks for the coords. Also I'll check your Mission Report again now. Cool idea to build a resort! I had though that comment was an internal narrative element, not a actual plan. 

It's an actual plan for when KK gets back to normal.  The sequel for the OPTC relies on KK to a great extent, actually.

18 hours ago, damerell said:

I'm surprised you drag it up on the beach so much, to be honest.

Depends on your philosophy of this challenge. I'm enjoying doing this slowly. Discovery, including naming of features is a big part of it for me. So I have to land to plant a flag. Also, the craft does not cruise very fast, and is very manoeverable so there is little cost in stopping. A larger, unweildy craft might be more annoying. 

On 7/28/2016 at 3:12 AM, Maverick_aus said:

Depends on your philosophy of this challenge. I'm enjoying doing this slowly. Discovery, including naming of features is a big part of it for me. So I have to land to plant a flag.

That's the way I see it, too. When it comes to rocketry, it's the alien destination that's important, not the warp-over territory of empty space that the journey goes through getting there.  The Elcano Challenge flips that 180^, and should be savored as such.

Day 6 - Vehicle Replacement

After much back-of-the-envelope preparation, the hard-working engineers at KSC polish up the half-baked Elcano Aerial Vehicle Replacement program into something usable (well, mostly). Val and three new recruits fire up the Whiplashes on the Big-Bird, and soon Jeb and Berthy have some company. 

Highlights include: 
-aerial monstrosity cargo-drop
-potentially nefarious robot intelligence

http://imgur.com/a/4Z4nc

8 hours ago, Geschosskopf said:

Nicely done.  Glad to see you moving again.

Thanks mate.

I'm in two minds about the rate of knots. I'm taking a long time, but I'd rather take the time and do it thorougly and chronicle it than hurry it through just for sake of progress. 

That said, I'm feeling the need to put some runs on the board now.

I've actually got completely distracted recently with testing a mod's alpha, and working on a labour of love, soon to be released. 

1 minute ago, Maverick_aus said:

I've actually got completely distracted recently with testing a mod's alpha, and working on a labour of love, soon to be released. 

Never get too attached to anything in KSP.  It will inevitably die come the next update.  So do what thou wilt while you can.  Might not get another chance.

20 minutes ago, Geschosskopf said:

Never get too attached to anything in KSP.  It will inevitably die come the next update.  So do what thou wilt while you can.  Might not get another chance.

Lalalalalala!...Did you say something? 

(I know :( )

On 8/3/2016 at 1:57 PM, Geschosskopf said:

It will inevitably die come the next update.

There's no requirement to update to the most recent version for Elcano. There's at least one Elcanite who is still on 1.0.5.

Days 7 & 8 - Progress...?

Having just commissioned the replacement vehicle Dolomedes Triton R1, Jeb and Berthy set out again. 

G8e1kjE.png

On today's agenda: a brief stop over at a cove of some repute, followed by making some serious knots of progress.

After visiting a cove of some favour with a certain, ah, ballistic player...

7ZXDNNI.png 

bPbL1XI.png

...Pun intended....

...To make up some knots, the crew opt for the direct sea route over and above the more regular shore-hugging navigation. 

The crew keeps a looks out for the land in real time. Jeb looks out from the cockpit, scanning the horizon with his 'binoculars' (mouse wheel zoomed in). 
Land ho! 

2lOliD4.png

Happy at the progress, of nearing the western end of this 'continent', at the next stopping point, just before beaching, the craft flips! Unbelievably, this is second major craft 'malfunction' with in two days. Although 'malfunction' is not really the correct word. I think Jeb and Bill did a fine job on the design. Let's blame the Kraken's return. At least she didn't eat the entire vessel this time! Just flipped it on it's back. 

bcpLRT7.png68o8i9O.png

Desperate, the duo decide it may be possible to flip the DM under its own power, so igniting the auxiliary jet engines for additional thrust, they attempt to manoever to the nearby bluff, to the east. The sharper angle of this beach-cliff may enable more friction and so hold a fulcrum point on the nose, and so help the ship over. 

Rfl9hkK.png

Nup, they can't control the craft enough to even get there. 

Hmmm. KIS/KAS time.

To be continued...

mrIlRtF.png

bjW1JpU.png

On 8/8/2016 at 3:50 PM, Claw said:

There's no requirement to update to the most recent version for Elcano. There's at least one Elcanite who is still on 1.0.5.

Nothing wrong with that. I totally understand not wanting/being able to shift something already in progress. I've just, after many hours of fiddling and testing shifted my career into 1.1.3. I decided it was worth the upgrade as the performance benefit from 1.0.x to 1.1.x is a deal-maker, after being totally burnt out on lag on my little laptop. 

Edited by Maverick_aus
fix map, typo

On today's agenda: a brief stop over at a cove of some repute, followed by making some serious knots of progress.
After visiting a cove of some favour with a certain, ah, ballistic player...

I"m deeply honored to have my name attached to a spot of ground anywhere,  But to become part of what I call @Brotoro Bay, IMHO the most beautiful spot on Kerbin and named for the Godfather of Mission Reports (for stock engineering brilliance combined with incredible thoroughness in exploration, all related in great style).  I believe he inspired many great authors I enjoy reading today.  Words fail me.  Thanks :D

Nup, they can't control the craft enough to even get there. 
Hmmm. KIS/KAS time.
To be continued...

Damn, that sucks.  Your boat doesn't look inherently prone to somersaults.  I wonder what happened?

39 minutes ago, Geschosskopf said:

I"m deeply honored to have my name attached to a spot of ground anywhere,  But to become part of what I call @Brotoro Bay, IMHO the most beautiful spot on Kerbin and named for the Godfather of Mission Reports (for stock engineering brilliance combined with incredible thoroughness in exploration, all related in great style).  I believe he inspired many great authors I enjoy reading today.  Words fail me.  Thanks :D

You're welcome. I've enjoyed our chats together, and given the similarity of our craft and paths, I thought it fitting.  And I thought to name the hilly feature nearby so it's a compatible naming instead of a replacement. Also, once I figured out what your nick means, I couldn't resist the pun!

39 minutes ago, Geschosskopf said:

Damn, that sucks.  Your boat doesn't look inherently prone to somersaults.  I wonder what happened?

Well, since you ask... 
Usually the craft cruises comfortably at 4x warp. Then, when preparing to go land-lubber, nearby the shore say around 30m depth, I drop the gear and drop the pace for a gentler beaching. (I had tested at 4x beaching, but thought it best to be as slow and safe as possible, and not tempt the Kraken). Embarrassingly, I wasn't keeping to my usual procedure and left the drop out of warp too late. I think the front wheels hit bottomed out whilst still at 4x, then I believe as the physics 'caught up' on the change back to 1x, it got a massive jolt and flipped. I couldn't figure out a clever way to incorporate it in the narrative so I left out the details, not to mention, it was at least 1/2 operator error. 

14 minutes ago, Maverick_aus said:

I couldn't figure out a clever way to incorporate it in the narrative so I left out the details, not to mention, it was at least 1/2 operator error. 

Aye, wheels and 4x warp don't mix.  Bummer.  Well, hopefully lesson learned :wink:

1 hour ago, Claw said:

Wow, that's rough. :(

Hopefully you can get it righted (if you haven't already). Good luck!

Yes, although as I said above, partially my own fault I think.
Thanks, Claw. Plans are afoot, courtesy of Fengist's recently updated Maritime Pack (released our hours ago, yay!), IR and KIS/KAS
Now that I've said that, and you can all figure out what I'm up to, this teaser is a bit redundant I suppose...

bbQkUTF.png

4 hours ago, Maverick_aus said:

Now that I've said that, and you can all figure out what I'm up to, this teaser is a bit redundant I suppose...

That's a beautiful solution you've come up with, congrats! Most would have called it a day and flown in a replacement vehicle.

Is that crane made of IR parts or does it come with the Maritime pack?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.