Ore mining economical at some time warps rates but not at others

THX1138

Is this okay?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Is this okay?

• This is okay
    • This is not okay

It's been this way for a long time and I just wanted to find out whether Squad is going to address it or whether it's addressable?

Below a certain time warp rate, I'm using LFO instead of generating it but beyond that time warp rate, I start to produce LFO. See the top right hand corners of these screenshots.

1zxHJBr.png

tH3pw4V.png

Maybe I'm old and lazy but I don't think this is a problem. Time and fuel are both infinite in this game and you'll get it eventually, so go ahead and let this "cheat" happen.

And if you're modding your game so time and/or resources aren't infinite, then it's up to you to enforce your other rules too.

At certain time warp speeds electricity is not used so you don't have to bother powering the ISRU at all really which is stupid. It removes the challenge. The game should take elec draw into account during timewarp really.

7 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

Maybe I'm old and lazy but I don't think this is a problem. Time and fuel are both infinite in this game and you'll get it eventually, so go ahead and let this "cheat" happen.

And if you're modding your game so time and/or resources aren't infinite, then it's up to you to enforce your other rules too.

Yes I agree. Never look a gift booster in the nozzle.

Just now, SpacedCowboy said:

Yes I agree. Never look a gift booster in the nozzle.

The issue is refueling takes time and energy. You may want to time-warp to save some time. Doing so removes the elec draw of the equipment rendering the challenge of managing power moot. It is a broken system and should be fixed.

11 minutes ago, Majorjim said:

The issue is refueling takes time and energy. You may want to time-warp to save some time. Doing so removes the elec draw of the equipment rendering the challenge of managing power moot. It is a broken system and should be fixed.

Okay, I agree it should be fixed,,, along with (what's the number?) 2,699 other bugs? Until that time, I'm exploiting.

The fact that you can generate enough energy from burning fuel and oxidizer to produce that and more fuel and oxidizer shows that the system is broken far before "power consumption during timer warp is not modelled".

12 minutes ago, cfds said:

The fact that you can generate enough energy from burning fuel and oxidizer to produce that and more fuel and oxidizer shows that the system is broken far before "power consumption during timer warp is not modelled".

Not necessarily. The ore system presumably works like most fuels in real life - a lot of potential energy is stored as chemical potential energy (like in coal for example) and simply removing the impurities so that that chemical energy can be accessed efficiently doesn't necessarily take more energy than can be released from burning the fuel. If it worked like that in reality, it would be impossible to get any energy that doesn't initially come from solar power.

Oil and coal take less energy to refine than they can produce once refined and burned in an efficient manner, because the energy is already stored in the substance and simply needs to be released. If it was pure carbon, pure hydrogen, and pure oxygen being mined, then yes it would be unrealistic, but clearly the energy is already stored in the chemical bonds of whatever mineral the "ore" in the game consists of, and clearly that is plenty of energy to refine more of said ore.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.