How Does KSP Work on PS4?

15 minutes ago, klesh said:

What color was the timer in the upper left in each instance?

Plane by itself parked just off the runway: green

Planes parked on either side of runway: green

planes parked next to eachother: green

also, I noticed frame loss once the planes were within 100-80 meters of eachother 

11 minutes ago, Majorjim said:

Odd.. Multiple craft should result is a large performance boost. So you got 15-20 FPS with a single 198 part count craft but a much lower frame rate of 10-15 FPS with two 88 part craft, a total of 176 parts? That seems to indicate that the PS4 version is not mulit-threaded for multiple craft.

And even if so that is a super odd result and 10-15 FPS with even 200 parts is super poor performance considering the mega boost we got moving to Unity 5..

Well...here's a theory...

one way consoles will always be superior to PC's is that games can be heavily optimized for consoles since they're all the same underneath the hood.  Maaaaybe when they ported the game over to PS4, after they optimized it, it resulted in the game getting better frames with one ship with a large number of parts over 2 small ships with smaller number of parts?

1 minute ago, klesh said:

Not too shabby. :)

It's really not too bad.  Definitely not unplayable and for a $300-$350 (idk how much they're going for rn) gaming system, I think it's doing pretty well tbh 

Just now, RamptantFlamingo247 said:

Well...here's a theory...

one way consoles will always be superior to PC's is that games can be heavily optimized for consoles since they're all the same underneath the hood.  Maaaaybe when they ported the game over to PS4, after they optimized it, it resulted in the game getting better frames with one ship with a large number of parts over 2 small ships with smaller number of parts?

lol, sorry dude, no. No way whatsoever that is true. Not a chance in hell that was done. That makes no sense whatsoever.

Plane by itself parked just off the runway: green

Planes parked on either side of runway: green

planes parked next to eachother: green

also, I noticed frame loss once the planes were within 100-80 meters of eachother 

Have you seen the timer change colour at all? Try a 500 part count craft to see if it even changes colour.

Why not?  I'm not saying they purposely did that, but that was just a result of the optimizations?

It would require a total rewrite of the KSP code dude. It's just a port not made for consoles standalone title. Someone with more tech knowledge will back me up here I am sure. I can tell you that I am 100% certain that is not the case.

The optimizations where by Squad in the update to Unity 5 which allowed multiple CPU cores to work for multiple craft. The PS4 is just a computer with a CPU same as a PC, for there to be an opposite effect makes no sense at all. It is not the case.

There was no color change from what I've noticed

parts are limited to 300 per craft :P

Oh really? I knew there would be a part count limit! Ok, so two 300 part count craft then. :sticktongue:

Edited by Majorjim

1 minute ago, Majorjim said:

It would require a total rewrite of the KSP code dude. It's just a port not made for consoles standalone title. Someone with more tech knowledge will back me up here I am sure. I can tell you that I am 100% certain that is not the case.

The optimizations where by Squad in the update to Unity 5 which allowed multiple CPU cores to work for multiple craft. The PS4 is just a computer with a CPU same as a PC, for there to be an opposite effect makes no sense at all. It is not the case.

Oh really? I knew there would be a part count limit!

Well feel free to go test it out yourself, but that's just the results that I got.

Well feel free to go test it out yourself, but that's just the results that I got.

I don't doubt you got those results dude, hence my comment. I cannot and will not test it and what I says still stands and is still correct. Your results seem to show it is not using more than one core which would be very odd indeed. I doubt that as like I said the PS4 is just a computer like a PC. There must be something else at play but not 'optimizations' as 'optimizations' do not result in poorer performance.

Let us know what happens with two 300 part craft.

Edited by Majorjim

i could have sworn during my career when i updated the vab to its largest it said 300 parts max.  i might be wrong tho..   

i also got a msg saying my rocket would exceed a 300 part count when i accidentally selected my rocket with 6 part symmetry.  havent had that msg on pc before lol

1 minute ago, DD_bwest said:

i could have sworn during my career when i updated the vab to its largest it said 300 parts max.  i might be wrong tho..   

i also got a msg saying my rocket would exceed a 300 part count when i accidentally selected my rocket with 6 part symmetry.  havent had that msg on pc before lol

And in career level three VAB and SPH say they give you unlimited parts. I don't have a level three of either of those yet in career so idk if it's different in it vs sandbox yet but I can let you all know probably later in the week with how things are going For me so far.  Maybe it's just an arbitrary number with no meaning?  I really don't know. 

8 minutes ago, RamptantFlamingo247 said:

And in career level three VAB and SPH say they give you unlimited parts. I don't have a level three of either of those yet in career so idk if it's different in it vs sandbox yet but I can let you all know probably later in the week with how things are going For me so far.  Maybe it's just an arbitrary number with no meaning?  I really don't know. 

ill play around with it when i get home lol i have a terrible memory for small things like that.

if anyone wants to test it quickly, they could start a new career with 10x money and science payout, and start with boatloads of science and money.  you can upgrade it to level 3 after only a couple missions lpl

1 minute ago, DD_bwest said:

ill play around with it when i get home lol i have a terrible memory for small things like that.

if anyone wants to test it quickly, they could start a new career with 10x money and science payout, and start with boatloads of science and money.  you can upgrade it to level 3 after only a couple missions lpl

Yes someone do this!

man I love the KSP community 

1 minute ago, Majorjim said:

If there is a limit in sandbox it will be there in career too chaps. It makes perfect sense to have a part count limit on Console.

thats what i was thinking but wasnt gonna say forsure without sitting infront of it.

ft also said in a msg to me they are workin on an update for the game breaking crashes lol  one thing i love a out them is the openness and them actually reaponding to questions lol 

Just now, DD_bwest said:

thats what i was thinking but wasnt gonna say forsure without sitting infront of it.

ft also said in a msg to me they are workin on an update for the game breaking crashes lol  one thing i love a out them is the openness and them actually reaponding to questions lol 

So they released that very important bit of information only to you and not in public? Was it a PM on this forum?

9 minutes ago, Majorjim said:

So they released that very important bit of information only to you and not in public? Was it a PM on this forum?

nah ive had pms on facebook with them since march/april.  i was just telling them about the game breaking if they hadnt already and they said they are aware and working on it.     probably no official word because they dont have a timeframe for it.   

1 hour ago, RamptantFlamingo247 said:

parts are limited to 300 per craft :P

I knew there had to be something like this. Minecraft on console limited the only-limited-by-your-hard-drive-space world size, KSP on console limits the only-limited-by-your memory-and-processor ship size.

What happens if you launch two 300-part craft and dock them together in orbit? Or on the runway, even? Or just get them near each other?

51 minutes ago, Majorjim said:

I knew there would be a part count limit! Ok, so two 300 part count craft then. :sticktongue:

Just now, 5thHorseman said:

I knew there had to be something like this.

Just now, 5thHorseman said:

What happens if you launch two 300-part craft and dock them together in orbit? Or on the runway, even? Or just get them near each other?

LOL. I for sore the part limit from the start. You cannot risk the consoles hardware or have people just adding parts till the game crashes, they will complain.

Also now you guys have two people asking. Do tell!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.