running out of ideas

TheGuyNamedAlan

R U running out of ideas??  

79 members have voted

1. 1. R U running out of ideas??

• Yes
    • No
    • Couldn't admit because i feel embarrassed about it.

4 hours ago, TheGuyNamedAlan said:

Well I'll be damned :D

4 hours ago, TheGuyNamedAlan said:

but ill give it a try anyway

its gonna be hard

Good luck!

EDIT: So, this challenge still stands then. After watching the video, he did indeed land on Mun but not on Minmus. before that.

Edited by LN400

May I suggest Fengist's Elcano Challenge.. 

it gave me a part of my life I never knew was missing.. while totally up ending my interest in trains from railbound to land-trains.. a story in itself. 

KSP is what you make it.. BUT.. find something to grab onto.. and you become what KSP makes you.. I mean no pun by that..

my own elcano challenge has stalled pending rework for some locomotives and modeling of a dedicated class.. but the achievements, losses and victories remain a part of my soul in a way a game never has.. 

it'd be easy to say its all me. but its not.. squad crafted beautiful planets.. some I feel dont get the attention they deserve..

I know wheels are a bit iffy right now. but build a good vehicle.. plug in a steering wheel or a joystick, a few good mods like wheelsound.. .. to each their own I know.. but from experience. .it'll draw you in and never let go.. Kerbin is an amazing place.. if only you let it in.. so much more than just a ever smaller green and blue dot in the rear view mirror.. 

Kerbin is home for kerbals.. mine too.. im damn proud of that..

while it didnt start with a challenge.. the challenge is what made already existing ideas grow a life of their own

Get some good music playing. associate that with kerbin. find something you admire vehicle wise..

it will grow its own legends in time I assure you greatly

NO time acceleration.. just NO!.. if its not space. theres no need for it :)

its taken me 1 year and a half. ive not attempted driving on kerbin long distance for a while. months.. 

but im not giving up.. not until I see the KSC go from a tiny spot to a full featured building.. with a sense of home after a long terrible journey.. 

be it diesel electric locomotive, steam powered.. passenger tram or .. dotto train..

its a long term goal. I just wish I could share the feeling directly rather than words

Nassault does a good job of it though in his Kerbal Movie :)

a little on the ideas front of my past exploits.. KSC passenger tram.. KSC herself much like kerbin is an amazing place.. go for a drive . transport some kerbals rather than simply loading up crew.. its great :)

and oldie bit still good.. 4427 inbound to KSC

and 4016 coming home.. im proud to say this made me tear up when it happened. .if  you dont understand now.. you should after a long drive  on kerbin with hundreds dead. .getting home in one peice.. its a rare treasured thing

out of ideas. never.. your just not thinking outside the box.. space is black and boring.. kerbin is where its at :)

Edited by Overland

Once I do it myself, I'll post it in challenges, but let me post the early idea.

The Purple Submarine challenge.

Return Eve surface sample to Kerbin, from lowest possible altitude.

Altitude zero (sea level) counts for zero points. Each meter below that is one point.

Unmodified stock parts and physics only (informative mods and autopilots allowed, but not Tweakscale or FAR).

Extra-hard mode: do the whole thing with a single craft (staging still allowed, but if you dropped it, you leave it, no orbital command module to return to.)

At the absolute end of desperation, restart career with different mods and different personal rules.

Though to date, my career games outlast the KSP version I start them on and get abandoned due to changes in the physical nature of reality.

Oh, the stupid challenge... take a kerbal submarine-ing to the bottom of Eve's oceans, then get them back to Kerbin? Not necessarily in the same vessel :) 

Edited by eddiew

On August 14, 2016 at 6:31 PM, Veeltch said:

I discovered quite the opposite. Though since this forum is meant to be children and teen-friendly: don't drink and fly.

On topic: I don't actually lack the ideas and plans. I lack the motivation. The things I would like to do in career are almost countless, yet I always lack the motivation to finish them. Mainly due the fact that career mode is still unfinished and doesn't let me do these things the way I want them.

I will make that Laythe polar base one day. With a fully functional SSTO ferry and a space station in orbit. I will do all these great things once the career mode is overhauled and offers the free choices, not random choices.

This is why sandbox mode (with a small bit of RP if you'd like) is the superior game mode. You can do so much more, and impose limits on yourself, don't make the game do it. If sandbox is too open for you to limit yourself, install a probes before manned tech tree and play science mode. Career does nothing but make you grind and ruin ideas.

6 minutes ago, nosirrbro said:

This is why sandbox mode (with a small bit of RP if you'd like) is the superior game mode. You can do so much more, and impose limits on yourself, don't make the game do it. If sandbox is too open for you to limit yourself, install a probes before manned tech tree and play science mode. Career does nothing but make you grind and ruin ideas.

That's personal preference, really. If I used sandbox, everything would be built with the same half dozen components all the time. Career forces me to stretch to reach targets that are quite challenging with the parts I have available, and encourages me to build smartly and efficiently :)  Maybe there will in future come a time when I decide I'm done with career and would rather go sandbox (or science!) but for now I enjoy the sense of progression that comes with earning my wings (and engines).

24 minutes ago, eddiew said:

That's personal preference, really. If I used sandbox, everything would be built with the same half dozen components all the time. Career forces me to stretch to reach targets that are quite challenging with the parts I have available, and encourages me to build smartly and efficiently :)  Maybe there will in future come a time when I decide I'm done with career and would rather go sandbox (or science!) but for now I enjoy the sense of progression that comes with earning my wings (and engines).

All that career does is makes you go somewhere, gather science points (not even actual scietific data) and unlock new parts. In that exact order.

But that's not even what is so bad about it. It's the fact that people got used to it and consider it "alright", because a proper overhaul would probably kill their saves. It is the real tragedy of career mode.

Edited by Veeltch

2 hours ago, eddiew said:

That's personal preference, really. If I used sandbox, everything would be built with the same half dozen components all the time.

Add two restrictions on the craft you make.

a) efficiently fit the task given

b) looking good.

I promise all the stock parts won't be enough.

The first mean not overengineering the solutions. Need a single scansat over Minmus? Away with that MK3 part! No, no Orange Tank. You need one Kickback and three BACCs to bring it up to the orbit. Why the heck is your fairing bulging so? Tuck that stuff inside! There's a plenty of room inside that scanner to keep the backend. Yes, it's not surface attachable. So? What do you have these four buttons above? Move, rotate. Make these solar panels into 8x symmetry and they will align into a beautiful shiny octagonal box. Flip that strut upside down and you're getting a node immersed inside the tank. No, that tank is ugly, use two smaller ones. Tilt the fins on these boosters a little bit outwards - that makes the moment of separation look super-elegant!

There are parts I use quite frequently in roles significantly different than their assigned.

MK3 to 2.5m converter. A huge, flat slice of a tank ideal for making landers. A pod in the middle, accessories around, maybe even a balcony barrier. Terrier can lift it from Minmus easily, and it's very stable.

Separators. Did you know that stuff attached radially to separators gets separated, no matter how many items you attached? One separator can replace 20 radial decouplers.

Structural Pylon and Small Hardpoint. Why are you still using these radial decouplers? They leave crap behind. Structural Pylons are more aerodynamic, cheaper, and look vastly better. They also make cool discardable landing legs.

On topic of landing legs. Need somewhat bigger than that? Airbrakes. Need even bigger? Cargo ramps! Need smaller? The simplest antennas.

Did you know the heat shield has three attachment nodes, in line? And it weighs peanuts if you remove the ablator.

Need to tuck two dozen nuke batteries neatly? The Structural Fuselage is empty inside.

The radial air intake weighs a tiny fraction of the weight of an I-beam and looks better too. Need something a little bigger for a rover body? A wing segment will do nicely.

So, the drill needs cooling. Did you know you can attach the drill to the radiator?

10 minutes ago, Sharpy said:

I promise all the stock parts won't be enough.

Ah, well, now we're talking about two different games, and they're going to appeal to two different people :)  It's completely ok to prefer sandbox because you like to build big and pretty, but some people want some direction from the game because they treat it more like a... game, and less of an art form. Both are legit play styles, but largely incomparable and with not so much cross-appeal. If what you enjoy is opening up the next tech nodes and making new craft with the fresh bits and reading the science defs and a sense of incremental progress - sandbox isn't of so much use to you :) 

7 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

Ideas, I have aplenty. What I'm running out of is ideas for things I actually want to do.

As a suggestion, how about bingeing on planet packs (OPM, Kerbol Plus Remade, Rald, for 3 examples) and adding Kerbal R&D so's you can beef up stock components into something that would actually let you get to the outer planets? Actually practical with KSP 64-bit :) 

I also feel like I've never seen you build spaceplanes... maybe reusability could be a theme for next series? 

20 minutes ago, eddiew said:

Ah, well, now we're talking about two different games, and they're going to appeal to two different people :)  It's completely ok to prefer sandbox because you like to build big and pretty,

but I play career!

Building big, pretty AND on a budget, AND fulfilling the customer's demands!

2 hours ago, eddiew said:

As a suggestion, how about bingeing on planet packs (OPM, Kerbol Plus Remade, Rald, for 3 examples) and adding Kerbal R&D so's you can beef up stock components into something that would actually let you get to the outer planets? Actually practical with KSP 64-bit :) 

I also feel like I've never seen you build spaceplanes... maybe reusability could be a theme for next series? 

More planets maybe, but spaceplanes are squarely in the center of "stuff I don't want to do" :)

2 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

More planets maybe, but spaceplanes are squarely in the center of "stuff I don't want to do" :)

true

On 16/08/2016 at 10:51 PM, eddiew said:

At the absolute end of desperation, restart career with different mods and different personal rules.

Though to date, my career games outlast the KSP version I start them on and get abandoned due to changes in the physical nature of reality.

Oh, the stupid challenge... take a kerbal submarine-ing to the bottom of Eve's oceans, then get them back to Kerbin? Not necessarily in the same vessel :) 

i just realised that i haven't played career for a long time!! gonna give it a try

On 8/14/2016 at 8:26 PM, dangerhamster said:

I don't ever run out of ideas...... it's the ability to actually implement them I struggle with.

This. this, this, this.

I could  have a proper dedicated space station by now if I didn't get too lazy to  continue.

20 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

That's fair, they do make for slower gameplay, and if you want to keep a series moving, then it's perhaps not the way to go :)  I feel like you might enjoy some more distant planets though, since you love an efficient mission plan and, well, you're going to have to be efficient to get out that far! :D 

On August 13, 2016 at 8:17 PM, TheGuyNamedAlan said:

hi guys,

this is not only a poll but a thread to suggest some stupid mission ideas. i did search the challenges and mission ideas not only on the forums, but on everything, reddit, google bing, everything. they just isn't stupid enough. i want challenges that is almost impossible and fun because i don't really want to wait for 2 minutes with max time warp while going to eeloo.  plz reply cause i would be happy, u dont wana make me cry do u, ;-;

Back in my day, we waited 5 minutes to boot up our NES

4 hours ago, Kerbart said:

You youngsters have no idea how lucky you were, not having to wait 20 minutes while your game loaded from a cassette tape.

Eh? You youngsters had it soft, we had to wait weeks for it to stop raining so we could go outside and kick a ball around.

1,300 hours into the game I do not have this problem. And I'm still on my second game. I've only played two. My pre v1. game which I abandoned because of the big changes which made all my rockets and everything I'd learned useless. And then I still play the v1 game I started instead. I play Science Sandbox.
And while I've released myself from the requirement of playing stock only, that's still pretty much what I do in practice.

I've plenty of ideas. I haven't done manned landing on Eve yet, which is still the mt. Everest looming ahead of me. And I've just visited - no landing - Dres, Eeloo and Moho with unmanned probes. Plenty things left.

1 hour ago, dangerhamster said:

Eh? You youngsters had it soft, we had to wait weeks for it to stop raining so we could go outside and kick a ball around.

Ball?  - Oh you were soo lucky... We had to kick a stone. Barefoot.  ^_^

Edited by Vermil

I'm gonna say I always get inspired to do new things by what I see on the forum and from what I was inspired to I often get like a TON of new ideas.

Also, I just recently installed KIS and KAS and those of course offer endless new ways to do stuff. And I'm currently using them to build a kinda all-in-one Station on Minmus:

minmusgroundstation4nsmn.png

And yes, both the core module and motel module ate one HELL of an awful lot of fuel to get there.

Maybe this is also gonna inspire some of u guys.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.