[1.2] Galileo's Planet Pack (development thread) [v0.9]

Galileo

47 minutes ago, Galileo said:

I always figured that it was done with kopernicus expansions

Oooh, good thought. However, in the most recent KSPRC version wasn't that removed due to a lack of an update? I don't remember, haven't used it in a loong time.

3 minutes ago, Nhawks17 said:

Oooh, good thought. However, in the most recent KSPRC version wasn't that removed due to a lack of an update? I don't remember, haven't used it in a loong time.

There is a folder in there for kopernicus expansions but It doesn't do anything as of right now. I cannot wait for expansions to be updated.  I want to implement it so bad with SVT and this mod

@JadeOfMaar i decided to try my hand at geysers. I looked at how KSPRC implemented them and it was about what i expected so i made some new textures and tried them out what do you think? 

Spoiler

v3iX9UR.pngp9ZwjSX.pngYwg7Wd1.pngaZUOEMM.pngmd8t1Qz.pngGY9IDgT.pngR9IpFxH.png1xntMAN.pngcCJOTJt.png

@OhioBob I dont know what body could realistically have geysers so i just picked Hox. Its as easy as changing the name in the SVE config if they need to be changed

Edited by Galileo

I think that is another win in design. Those texture sure are convincing.
For choosing worlds, I'm studying Enceladus, Europa and Yellowstone now. The former criteria I propose is: Any body that (should be an ice planet and) bares enough tidal friction or significant geothermal source should bare geysers. The latter criteria is: Any mostly dry planet with lakes and looks like it has a lively crust.

For the former I nominate Argo as it sure looks like an ice body and would add to its appeal, to make players go out that far. "The Sightseer's Challenge: Photoshoot at Argo's geysers."

For the latter: Niven. I'd also nominate Gratian but it's already got cool steamy lakes (of fire?)

3 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

I think that is another win in design. Those texture sure are convincing.
For choosing worlds, I'm studying Enceladus, Europa and Yellowstone now. The former criteria I propose is: Any body that (should be an ice planet and) bares enough tidal friction or significant geothermal source should bare geysers. The latter criteria is: Any mostly dry planet with lakes and looks like it has a lively crust.

For the former I nominate Argo as it sure looks like an ice body and would add to its appeal, to make players go out that far. "The Sightseer's Challenge: Photoshoot at Argo's geysers."

For the latter: Niven. I'd also nominate Gratian but it's already got cool steamy lakes (of fire?)

Nope no lakes on gratian but there are some on Niven. I thought about Argo but i wanted to choose a planet with an atmosphere and Hox was the my choice, being so far out there

57 minutes ago, Galileo said:

@OhioBob I dont know what body could realistically have geysers so i just picked Hox. Its as easy as changing the name in the SVE config if they need to be changed

I don't know all that much about geysers, but Hox is really cold, maybe too cold.  I think a body like Loki might be a good choice.  In many ways Loki is a close analog to Enceladus, which we know has cryovolcanism.  Maybe also Hephaestus, which is kind of an Europa analog.

Another body that I don't think would necessarily have geysers of liquid, but that I think would have eruptions of gaseous nitrogen, is Hadrian.  Most of the time its temperature is a little below the freezing point of nitrogen, but during the day it can warm up to just above the freezing point.  In fact, when I gave the moon a thin nitrogen atmosphere, I envisioned to myself it having eruptions of gas during the daytime.  It would be pretty awesome if you could actually make that happen.

Edited by OhioBob

1 minute ago, OhioBob said:

I don't know all that much about geysers, but Hox is really cold, maybe too cold.  I think a body like Loki might be a good choice.  In many ways Loki is a close analog to Enceladus, which we know has cryovolcanism.  Maybe also Hephaestus, which is kind of an Europa analog.

Another body that I don't think would have geysers of liquid, but that I think would have eruptions of gaseous nitrogen, is Hadrian.  Most of the time its temperature is a little below the freezing point of nitrogen, but during the day it can warm up to just above the freezing point.  In fact, when I gave the moon a thin nitrogen atmosphere, I envisioned to myself it having eruptions of gas during the daytime.  It would be pretty awesome if you could actually make that happen.

I can do that, i think, since hadrian is tidally locked. i just need to figure out exactly which area on the map is facing the reference planet

I also just finished the rings on Nero and Tellumo :)

51 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

I forgot about Argo.  I was thinking Hox was out there by itself, which is why I suggested that it wouldn't likely have geysers.  But with Argo there would be tidal action.  Argo, being the smaller body, would probably be the one to undergo the most tidally heating.

Edited by OhioBob

The only body beyond Gratian to which I gave a rocky density is Augustus.  I don't really envision Augustus as having a subsurface ocean.  All the other outer moons and planets, however, I figured as icy bodies.  I think any of those could have cryovolcanism if they experience enough tidal heating.  Obviously the larger the parent planet and the closer the moon is to it, the more tidal action there will be.  If I were to take a guess, I'd say the most likely candidates are Hephaestus, Loki, Hadrian and Narisse.  Earlier I said I didn't think that Hadrian would necessarily have liquid geysers, but I second thought, I'm taking that back.  Given its close proximity to Nero, I wouldn't rule out the possibility.

1 minute ago, Galileo said:

ok well ill let you guys decide :) im happy wherever the geysers go

Based on the comments so far, I think Hadrian has probably gotten the most love.  That would be my vote.  Though I don't see a problem with multiple bodies having geysers.

Sounds like a plan.

Just now, OhioBob said:

Based on the comments so far, I think Hadrian has probably gotten the most love.  That would be my vote.  Though I don't see a problem with multiple bodies having geysers.

this is true. i could add them to a few

I'm OK with Argo too.  As @JadeOfMaar said, it will help spice up the Hox-Argo system so there's more reason to go there.

(edit)  And if you want to go with more bodies than that, I think Hephaestus and Loki would be next.  I think they most closely resemble real life bodies known to have geysers.

Edited by OhioBob

15 minutes ago, Galileo said:

I liked it so i put a ring on it.... uh uh oh uhuh ohohoh

im off to bed i have class in the morning ya'll have a good one

That ring looks familiar :P

5 minutes ago, sDaZe said:

That ring looks familiar :P

Yeah the one on Nero is from Saturn.  So is the one on Tellumo,  but it's a different texture just looks the same. Needless to say, I got lazy.  I will try to make custom ring manana. 

qt0iIX2.png

Holy ground textures Batman!  

Edited by Galileo

That sharp blue in Tellumo's outer ring! :0.0: And ...and Nero!

Spoiler

If I may nitpick...Maybe a thinner ring for Tellumo. Something in the direction of Uranus. A lot of moons/asteroids may have to have been sacrificed to the ring god for that healthy-looking thing....or maybe a lesser twin planet.