Circumnavigate kerbin, then go to laythe

Is there any requirement for the circumnavigation?  I assume it has to be in the atmosphere, but if that's all the criteria, then I'll launch to a 69km Ap, circularize there, and use a miniscule amount of thust to maintain the almost-orbit.  And do the same (in reverse) at Laythe.

On 9/3/2016 at 5:30 PM, DaElite101 said:

So I guess that since there are basically no rules besides only refueling once, that means that such things as infinite fuel and HyperEdit cheats are allowed. Nice and easy challenge.

Okay, here is some more difficulty, You have to return with one full Orange tank, you can't go past 1,000 m/s in the atmospheres of Kerbin and laythe, and can't go above 30 km in the atmosphere as well. And, NO cheats allowed, and it has to be stock! That was easy mode. Hard mode is Go To laythe, land, build a base at laythe, Then send a plane to go to all the moons of jool and skim through Jool's atmosphere then go back to kerbin, visit every Easter egg on kerbin (monoliths, the pyramids the 2nd space center etc.) then land back on the  runway with  a full tank of fuel. (It dosen't matter how big or small it is).

On 2016-09-05 at 8:04 AM, KerbalXcer said:

you can't go past 1,000 m/s in the atmospheres of Kerbin and laythe, and can't go above 30 km in the atmosphere as well

Orbital velocity of Kerbin is ~2,200 m/s. Sooo... that mean we have to climb 'til 70km THEN get the missing 1,200m/s while above the atmosphere? That's very ineficient and I don't quite see the point.

Can you shown up YOUR attempt at this challenge?

What Alpha 360? It's ONLY 16,000 m/s to laythe and back, see http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/145898-round-kerbin-chalenge/

So recommended mods: Kerbal Aircraft Xpansion: https://mods.curse.com/ksp-mods/kerbal/221780-kerbal-aircraft-expansion-kax

Kerbal engineer

And procedural parts : https://github.com/Swamp-Ig/ProceduralParts/releases

19 minutes ago, KerbalXcer said:

Edited by DunaManiac

21 hours ago, Samniss Arandeen said:

Is this challenge even possible without the use of HyperEdit and Alt+F12?

I think it is *very* doable--circumnavigating Kerbin just under 30km doesn't actually take that much fuel (a couple hundred units, max) once you get up to speed, and the same will be true of Laythe.  So just design a ship that can leave Kerbin, get to Laythe, aerobrake just enough to get under 30km (you don't even have to land), go around at just under 30km, get back to orbit, etc.  Or, simply put: it's harder to create an SSTO spaceplane that gets to Laythe, lands, and returns to Kerbin.  And people have been doing that for quite some time.

On 9/4/2016 at 5:30 AM, DaElite101 said:

So I guess that since there are basically no rules besides only refueling once, that means that such things as infinite fuel and HyperEdit cheats are allowed. Nice and easy challenge.

If something feels like cheating, it probably is.  Or is meant to be.

Hi all, I've closed the thread since the discussion seems to be challenging the challenge rather than actually attempting it.

@KerbalXcer, it's a fine idea for a challenge, but please read this post first:

After you've read it, please feel welcome to start a new thread with the same challenge, but with a little more information and also your own attempt :)