1.3 - What will it have?

I would love biger solar panels, at least the size fo the big radiator and bigger wings. Also a rework of the big airliner engine so it's a peak performance at around 10-15km and in the 300m/s speed range.

Also multiplayer because why not, I know it can wait but if it works like DMP it will be just fine and peoples can host their own server.

submarines and propeller engines too please!

16 minutes ago, Fluburtur said:

and bigger wings.

You mean actual mk3 wing sections instead of the prefab stuff we got?  Yeah.  Me too.  Speaking of prefab, actual 2.5m jet engines and air intakes would be nice.  The Goliath was a disappointment for me.  I want Kerbal Legos, not model kits.

Honestly though who's going to make 1.3 with like 2 devs left and everyone else being 'managers' or 'community managers' etc?

I'm hoping for a career mode overhaul, cuz frankly I could care less about graphics and multiplayer etc. I just want a more 'gamey' game that's harder and more involved, especially with the management of the space program, budgets, etc.

And of course stuff like the updated parts etc.

hm.

Edited by Lightzy

What I want for 1.3:

- Rocket parts graphics overhall

- More 2.5m and 3.75m rocket engines

- Small (0.625m) and large (2.5m) SRBs

- A two Kerbal capsule

- An outer planet with moons

- Basic life support

- Large radial parachutes

- Heat resistant airbrakes

- Larger and more varied launch clamps

I would love to see these in 1.3, but we'll have to see what the (remaining) devs have in store.

Edited by Garrett Kerman

I for one hope they finally undo those ugly graphic updates since 0.90.

Absolutelly hideous and increasing memory load a lot. The game should just use graphics that are clear so you can see at first glance what part is what, and if that's done the goal should be to minimize texture page size & poly count.

Please just fire the artists and use my money for actual developers - who can make the game actually GOOD instead of just a paste-job of silly things, someone with a sound understanding of thermodynamics. IE the specific impulse, it changes with altitude,but not like in KSP: it is based on the equivalent jet velocity. But that velocity is based on the actual velocity + a pressure differential - basic newtonian force equillibrium

gif.latex?I_%7Bsp%7D%20%3D%20%5Cfrac%7Bv

(A_e = exit diameter - which is a design parameter, p_e - p_a = pressure difference between exit and atmosphere). - Now the true exit velocity is based on gas used (gamma, molar mass - given by input at design) as well as the pressure ratio between exit and chamber, this ratio is then based on the throat vs exit areas, not a simple formula but it can be calculated anyways for any given rocket shape.
Now it's a game so you shouldn't have to do those calculations (the game can do those for you). However when I try to do those things for the given atmospheric model & rockets I get all silly values, where either the atmosphere/rockets are thermodynamically "not working", or the rockets have utterly silly shapes (like negative throat areas). Just make the numbers work. Heck any freshmen would be able to do those calculation, from my first year examn:

formulas used to calculate anything.

Now on a similar thing, can we please make orbital mechanics at least a bit less "boring"? Third body mechanics are of course impossible to calculate perfectly (and any numerical method will have an increasing error while the time rises so isn't good for ksp). But other effects could be taken into account - or at least a simplistic version of it. In reality we don't use 3rd body pertubations either, except for objects that have to move to other bodies. - Most satellites we launch are in earth vincinity.

However other effects are calculatable, and could be applied: low kerbin orbits should slowly decay due to orbital drag (should a small decay of orbital energy, and at the same time the eccentricity would lower towards 0). Careful mathematical analysis will show how much but this can be approximated and calculated "ahead of time" since the speed is known at each point in time.

Most interestingly would be if the effects of planetary oblateness and other pertubations could be included. Called the "J2" term (and yes there exist also a J3, J4 and J2,2 J2,3, J3,2 etc) but jsut a J2 is enough to allow a lot of fun.

Utterly simplified wikipedia article.
Not so simple paper about it.

But just a simplified version of it would do wonders: with J2 one can "shift the oribital plane backwards"; thus turning the plane around and moving the longitude of ascending node for free. This allows for sun-synchronous satellites (whose orbit always stays in the same direction towards the sun, ie whole year it rotates so that it won't go in the shadow of kerbin). Or one could make satellites that "pass over a certain sea every n minutes while staying below x altitude".

That brings me to a third thing I'd like to see: ground tracks, and "use" for those. the ability to see an orbit's ground track, and also to have demands for certain "ground tracks" (observation satellite contracts).

Finally can we please add some "fun" stuff to space? Like reasons to go to other planets, other than for achievements, maybe to gather resources and so we can build extra terrestrial (launch) bases?

Edited by paul23

Aren't there mods for those? Stop pressing the devs for what you want, even though there isn't a mod for it(which is very unlikely) and all of the community is behind you. They have plenty on their hands with bug fixes and everything else. I know that this forum isn't soling for requesting new thing for ksp but the squad team has done wonders already. In what other game you can design and fly planes with bombs in a cargo bay and design a colonization series about colonizing all the planets(Great work ToxicTimewaster). And in the same game you could play as an early space program and launch the first mission to the Mun. Are there any other games that can do all of the above???

NO 

Edited by Alpha 360
"Kouston, we have several problems, but that doesn't matter so we want to continue on with the mission."

Except, you don't do that.

You fly something slightly resembling a plane. But that doesn't mean you made an aircraft, designing something isn't guessing: it is knowing and following the rules. The rules of physics and, mostly aerodynamics and thermodynamics. in KSP it always keeps so random: "oh put a cone on it, otherwise the game calculates it as if there's a big plate on the stack" - instead of simply using the aerodymics and using laminar/turbulence calculation. (No cone means there's a high shear stress on the "edge" of the rocket's stack, where the radius of curvature is very small, this means the airflow can't follow the stack, and would hence create a turbulent flow down the rest of the stack - which means massively increased drag. And at the end it means a pressure drag since the "craft" is making a "vacuum" behind it if the air doesn't have the energy to flow into that region - this is even a bigger drag force.

But no we, even after a so called rework, use a simple "drag summation" method ignoring the craft's look other than for simple "static rules" like "a stack needs to have a cone on top and bottom".

On 11/17/2016 at 0:35 AM, paul23 said:

I for one hope they finally undo those ugly graphic updates since 0.90.

Absolutelly hideous and increasing memory load a lot. The game should just use graphics that are clear so you can see at first glance what part is what, and if that's done the goal should be to minimize texture page size & poly count.

Uh, which parts have been graphically updated since 0.90? As far as I recall only the Mk1 Cockpit has been modified since then.

12 minutes ago, Red Iron Crown said:

Uh, which parts have been graphically updated since 0.90? As far as I recall only the Mk1 Cockpit has been modified since then.

Well, the Mk 1 inline and Mk 2 Inline have both been remodelled since 0.90 IIRC.

Happy landings!

I'd like to see:

Multiple star systems and a suite of sensibly chosen near-ish-future propulsion systems, along with the other various parts you would need eg: huge fuel tanks.

More detailed science activities - perhaps a slew of "minigame" type activites, anything to make it more closely resemble..well, science. The mods which provide things like apce telescopes (where you have to take a picture of something to get science) or long-term experiments which earn decent science but over a long time, are good guides.

More detailed planetary environments - dust storms, high winds, aurorae, gas planets with nice cloud layers to descend through, rain, geysers, volcanos etc. All or some of which should introduce lander design challenges, OR necessitate proper reconnaisance and weather observation (along with associated new parts for such).

Plus the obvious graphical, physical, stability, UI etc. upgrades.

Honestly I think just those would result in enough of a paradigm-shift in gameplay complexity and quality for a full sequel. Probably plenty enough work!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I think it is safe to consider 1.2.2 as more or less final. May be some bug fixing will be done, but I'm afraid things will be as it is:

1) messy flickering shadows

2) performance hog aero effects

3) troublesome wheels and landing gear

4) sliding landing legs

5) deadly surface splits

6) unity versions stays as it is

Edited by evileye.x

I'd like to see the Barn make an appearance and the Launch Tower make a glorious return!

#GoRetroOrGoHome.

On 11/16/2016 at 10:35 PM, Garrett Kerman said:

What I want for 1.3:

- Rocket parts graphics overhall

- More 2.5m and 3.75m rocket engines (got these measurements wrong, I know)

- Small (0.625m) and large (2.5m) SRBs

- A two Kerbal capsule

- An outer planet with moons

- Basic life support

- Large radial parachutes

- Heat resistant airbrakes

- Larger and more varied launch clamps

I would love to see these in 1.3, but we'll have to see what the (remaining) devs have in store.

I'm not fussed about the airbrakes but I wouldn't say no to any of the rest of that.

I want Lifesupport. But it should have graphics showing teh state of teh kerbals.... YOu know there used to be games where you have resource lifesupport going back to the 80's... they could emulate some retro games. Giving more complex resource assignments to resources or pods etc and make games out of it.

I also want toilets and toilet paper as a resource... Or something similar. maybe more viable for planes than space planes but the ability to make them needed for different things like flights for fun. Food and water could be used for flights etc on top of everything else.

The farm and launch tower thing would be cool. I would like to see a farm area around at high levels also if they add life support. It could be something you spend very little or no money on and grow food to produce food and other items for the lifesupport initially. We could go a little sim city and add areas at will to grow food and stuff. 8)

Edited by Arugela

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.