[KSP 1.3.0->1.5.*] Mod Pods

TiktaalikDreaming

6 hours ago, Cerebrate said:

Just a heads-up: your 1.0.4 release for 1.3 compatibility won't install through CKAN: "Trying to install Modular Pods 1.0.4, but it's not downloaded or download is corrupted." The download file is there in the cache, though, and is at least a functional .zip file.

Exception details given as follows:

************** Exception Text **************
CKAN.FileNotFoundKraken: Trying to install ModularPods 1.0.4, but it's not downloaded or download is corrupted
   at CKAN.ModuleInstaller.Install(CkanModule module, String filename)
   at CKAN.ModuleInstaller.InstallList(ICollection`1 modules, RelationshipResolverOptions options, IDownloader downloader)
   at CKAN.Main.WasSuccessful(Action action)
   at CKAN.Main.InstallMods(Object sender, DoWorkEventArgs e)
   at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.OnDoWork(DoWorkEventArgs e)
   at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.WorkerThreadStart(Object argument)

-c

cr@p.  That'll probably be because I've been shifting my compression to lzh when packing things up.  I shall see when I have a chance to fix.  All my updated mods.  :(

9 hours ago, Cerebrate said:

Just a heads-up: your 1.0.4 release for 1.3 compatibility won't install through CKAN: "Trying to install Modular Pods 1.0.4, but it's not downloaded or download is corrupted." The download file is there in the cache, though, and is at least a functional .zip file.

CKAN.FileNotFoundKraken: Trying to install ModularPods 1.0.4, but it's not downloaded or download is corrupted
   at CKAN.ModuleInstaller.InstallList(ICollection`1 modules, RelationshipResolverOptions options, IDownloader downloader)

-c

Installing from SpaceDock zip fails as well.

2 hours ago, Robotoaster said:

Installing from SpaceDock zip fails as well.

Depends on your PC's zip capabilities.  I've re-uploaded re-zipped edition.  I used ubuntu's built in zip, so hopefully that works on Windows etc.  It should be very compatible.  It also adds ~40% to the size.

On 05/28/2017 at 11:48 PM, Cerebrate said:

-c

Fixed the zip compression, hopefully.

42 minutes ago, Vorg said:

Thread subject still says KSP1.2.1.

There's no way of changing that on the mobile forum view, so it's going to have to wait.

I Couldn't see how to change that on mobile until just then.

Edited by TiktaalikDreaming

• 2 months later...
On 05/18/2017 at 6:58 PM, captinjoehenry said:

I love this mod but the big aerospike engines have a pretty sever thrust offset that makes them nigh unusable as well as them having using just mod pod fuel tanks about 17 Gs of acceleration to start with!  It is a bit excessive but not an issue but I just cannot use the engine due to the thrust offset.  

Just a quick note that I've fixed the thrust offset when physX can't be bothered using all 36 thrust transforms, by finally realising the updated engine module allows thrust and engine fx to use different transforms. So I can keep all the pretty, while using just a single central thrust vector

Quick note: mk2ScienceLab.cfg in both the Mk2to3 and the Mk3to4 ScienceLab sets 'GeneratesHeat = fasle' (not false) for the ModuleResourceConverter module, which is throwing an ERR report in the KSP log file when it tries to compile the respective parts. 

50 minutes ago, Delvan said:

Quick note: mk2ScienceLab.cfg in both the Mk2to3 and the Mk3to4 ScienceLab sets 'GeneratesHeat = fasle' (not false) for the ModuleResourceConverter module, which is throwing an ERR report in the KSP log file when it tries to compile the respective parts. 

Ha! Well spotted good sir. Fix incoming.

After I grumble some about damned typos.

Interim release https://github.com/TiktaalikDreaming/ModPods/releases/tag/1.0.6

Github releases won't necessarily be all cleaned up and tidy.  But I don't have access to my normal build folders at work\\\ where I currently am.

EDIT: the other thing about the git things, they haven't been DDS'ed.  My work flow has them DDS'ed after copying them to a build folder for tidy up.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, I found a really weird bug where ModPods seems to be messing around with buoyancy of ore tanks. Without the mod a single 1.25m ore tank filled with ore sinks, but with it it floats, making submarines pretty much impossible. My best guess is that one pod part had a problem where it sank and fixing it caused changes in the buoyancy of all parts.

Screenshots

10 hours ago, 15Redstones said:

Hey, I found a really weird bug where ModPods seems to be messing around with buoyancy of ore tanks. Without the mod a single 1.25m ore tank filled with ore sinks, but with it it floats, making submarines pretty much impossible. My best guess is that one pod part had a problem where it sank and fixing it caused changes in the buoyancy of all parts.

Screenshots

That's um, very weird.  

You might want to check if anything else is installed in GameData, because ModPods doesn't (shouldn't) affect any other parts.  I'd be looking for resource mods like Community Resource Pack, which has a MetallicOre that's 55% as heavy as stock ore.

Which version of ModPods?  And which version of KSP?  I'll double check there's nothing like a misconfigured module manager patch.

There's actually no module manager patches in the mod.  If it's to blame (I'm not saying it isn't, working with computers means you can't maintain a belief in a deterministic universe) then it's a properly weird bug.

52 minutes ago, TiktaalikDreaming said:

That's um, very weird.  

You might want to check if anything else is installed in GameData, because ModPods doesn't (shouldn't) affect any other parts.  I'd be looking for resource mods like Community Resource Pack, which has a MetallicOre that's 55% as heavy as stock ore.

Which version of ModPods?  And which version of KSP?  I'll double check there's nothing like a misconfigured module manager patch.

There's actually no module manager patches in the mod.  If it's to blame (I'm not saying it isn't, working with computers means you can't maintain a belief in a deterministic universe) then it's a properly weird bug.

I tested it with a near-stock install (only hyperedit to move the ore tank to the ocean and Kerbal Engineer Redux to check the mass) and my heavily modded install. Note that in both cases it doesn't change the mass of ore (according to kerbal engineer, the full ore tank is always 3.5 tons) but instead it gives all parts crazy buoyancy in water (~2x normal). The ore tank isn't the only part affected, I just used it as an easy test. I downloaded the mod a few days ago and use KSP 1.3. I tested the ore tank with every single mod I got, like ven's stock revamp or boat parts and was pretty surprised that this mod caused the problem. Has there ever been a problem with a part from this mod sinking in water after splashing down? That's my only logical explanation, some quick fix that accidentally messed up the physics of all parts in water. It's not messing around with the ore tank parts but with the general buoyancy physics. 

Edited by 15Redstones

2 hours ago, 15Redstones said:

I tested it with a near-stock install (only hyperedit to move the ore tank to the ocean and Kerbal Engineer Redux to check the mass) and my heavily modded install. Note that in both cases it doesn't change the mass of ore (according to kerbal engineer, the full ore tank is always 3.5 tons) but instead it gives all parts crazy buoyancy in water (~2x normal). The ore tank isn't the only part affected, I just used it as an easy test. I downloaded the mod a few days ago and use KSP 1.3. I tested the ore tank with every single mod I got, like ven's stock revamp or boat parts and was pretty surprised that this mod caused the problem. Has there ever been a problem with a part from this mod sinking in water after splashing down? That's my only logical explanation, some quick fix that accidentally messed up the physics of all parts in water. It's not messing around with the ore tank parts but with the general buoyancy physics. 

No.  I never even checked buoyancy.  There's no code, no resource changes, no module manager patches.  I'm a bit baffled to be honest.  I'll grab a clean KSP 1.3.1 and do some tests.  

14 hours ago, TiktaalikDreaming said:

No.  I never even checked buoyancy.  There's no code, no resource changes, no module manager patches.  I'm a bit baffled to be honest.  I'll grab a clean KSP 1.3.1 and do some tests.  

I don't know KSP code but that sounds like you're missing an expected config value somewhere and it's setting a crazy default.

18 hours ago, 15Redstones said:

Can you check with an actual stock install?  I can't replicate.

My first attempt, I thought, hey, that's very buoyant ore, but it turns out the large wheels are super buoyant;

So, puzzlement,

oyaYa9T.png

Followed by "what happens if I dump the ore;

CBXnjTt.png

So, those wheels are really seriously buoyant.  AFAIK, buoyancy is determined by mass vs collider volume.  And wheels are a bit weird with colliders, for one, the wheel collider system in Unity uses a 2D circle.  There may be some guestimates working badly with those wheels.

So, I just tested with rockets.  Cos rockets make everything better;

KXgXMev.png

Buoyancy with purely stock everything, no hyperedit, no nothing except the squad folder

2qgoZIB.png

(That's still more buoyant than I'd set for giant tubs full of rock, but meh)

And with stock plus ModPods only;

zIXCnnT.png

Can you check for any MM patches that might be lingering in the system?
If you open an cmd prompt, navigate to the GameData folder (You can I think Right click a folder in explorer and select "Open Command Prompt Here").  And run the command 

findstr /BLS "@" *.cfg

That should list out anything written as a MM patch to alter other parts.

So, I did some more testing and stuff got weird:

My install where I removed everything except ModPods and ModuleManager: Ore floats.

Removed ModuleManager: Ore floats.

Removed ModPods: Ore still floats.

Added ModuleManager: Ore sinks again.

Added ModPods again: Ore floats.

I tried a completely untouched copy of 1.3, freshly downloaded: Ore sinks (intended behavior)

Added ModPods: Ore still sinks.

Added ModuleManager: Ore floats.

My guess is that ModPods uses ModuleManager to change the physics. If I remove the ModuleManager those changed physics stay until I run the game with ModuleManager but without ModPods, then it reverts back to normal. If I use ModPods without ModuleManager it can't change the physics so everything stays normal.

PS: Your test thing has a large battery which is quite floaty so that's probably why it didn't sink. Try a stack separator to get an ore tank without anything else in the water. 

1 hour ago, 15Redstones said:

So, I did some more testing and stuff got weird:

My install where I removed everything except ModPods and ModuleManager: Ore floats.

Removed ModuleManager: Ore floats.

Removed ModPods: Ore still floats.

Added ModuleManager: Ore sinks again.

Added ModPods again: Ore floats.

I tried a completely untouched copy of 1.3, freshly downloaded: Ore sinks (intended behavior)

Added ModPods: Ore still sinks.

Added ModuleManager: Ore floats.

My guess is that ModPods uses ModuleManager to change the physics. If I remove the ModuleManager those changed physics stay until I run the game with ModuleManager but without ModPods, then it reverts back to normal. If I use ModPods without ModuleManager it can't change the physics so everything stays normal.

PS: Your test thing has a large battery which is quite floaty so that's probably why it didn't sink. Try a stack separator to get an ore tank without anything else in the water. 

The test thing had a battery and a remote control unit at the top.  Control unit should be even more buoyant.  But, buoyancy is easier to measure if the item doesn't completely sink.

I'll add MM to my test.

• 2 weeks later...

It's taken me a while to get back to this, and I can't replicate.  I'm fairly sure nothing in ModPods should be causing it, but I'm not 100% certain there's not some weird interaction going on.

I will not that even with ModuleManager removed, it leaves behind it's cache file, ModuleManager.ConfigCache, which starts with global physics settings.  "PHYSICSGLOBALS"  which includes some buoyancy settings.  None of which are altered by modpods.

Can you try with also deleting the cache file?

And, can you check for any MM config?  Searching for files *.cfg in the GameData folder with an @ symbol would work as a first order search.  My quick search looks like

G:\KSP-TestWeirdModPodThing\GameData>findstr /LS "@" *.cfg
Squad\Controls\Dvorak.cfg:      At = @
Squad\Controls\Qwerty.cfg:      At = @
Squad\Controls\Qwerty_ja-JP.cfg:                primary = @
Squad\Controls\Qwerty_ja-JP.cfg:        BackQuote = @
Squad\Localization\dictionary.cfg:              #autoLOC_220691 = <b>Max. Thrust: </b><<1>> kN @Mach <<2>>\n

Pretty sure you can do file content searching using the windoze GUI as well.  For linux/bsd it would be 

fgrep -r "@" * | fgrep .cfg