Mission idea: Kerbal Dakar 2017

Triop

3 minutes ago, Madrias said:

Okay, my testing vehicle's made it through Stage 2...  Surprisingly, first try, but... I've made some long drives on Kerbin before, so I know what to watch out for.  However, I'm using, at least to me, the unknown quantity, the TR-2L wheels.  Last time I used them was back in 1.0.5, when they had so much sideways grip that they'd roll any rover at 10 m/s easily.  As for my craft, it's... well, it's a little ridiculous.  6 wheeled, all electric racing buggy, though I am using fuel cells because otherwise it'd look like a porcupine covered in RTG's.

Ah the magic of offsetting

Oh, I don't believe in using mods that drive for you.  Tweakscale and Firespitter make up the majority of my current design.  Just I've driven about halfway to Kerbin's North Pole, so I know mountain driving in KSP.  And no, it's not easy.  After two good crashes in Stage 1, I gave up using trim to maintain a set amount of power to the wheels, because I couldn't slow down in time for large jumps or annoying terrain seams.  Though I'll admit, the TR-2L handles terrain seams better than most of the mod wheels I was using.

Still a lot of fun.  Once I inevitably crash-and-burn, I'll go back to the Spaceplane Hangar and get some pictures of the beast for the other half of this thread, where we're supposed to show off our mighty mean machines.

That sheer cliff in Stage 3 is... Actually quite fun.  Thankfully, I can't travel fast enough to get overly surprised going up the hill, so I was able to make it down okay by riding the brakes.  I'm going to definitely have to enter this rally, because this is a lot of fun.  Won't have the fastest time, I know that, but... I'm enjoying the challenges the world is throwing at me.

5 minutes ago, Madrias said:

That sheer cliff in Stage 3 is... Actually quite fun.  Thankfully, I can't travel fast enough to get overly surprised going up the hill, so I was able to make it down okay by riding the brakes.  I'm going to definitely have to enter this rally, because this is a lot of fun.  Won't have the fastest time, I know that, but... I'm enjoying the challenges the world is throwing at me.

I have a new friend. ^_^

Thank you mate, you understand what this is all about. &)

1 hour ago, Madrias said:

However, I'm using, at least to me, the unknown quantity, the TR-2L wheels.  

Unsolicited advise: the newest iteration of the TR-2L is a fantastic wheel, but touchy on cross-country. It prefers an odd balance of rover weight and EC supply, damn near necessitating fuel cells/RTGs instead of solar power in order to squeeze the most out of them. If you notice it getting a little 'skittery' on landings or rapidly-changing terrain edges - in spite of attention paid to suspension settings - try adding more mass, or removing a set of redundant wheels. These wheels are best under load.

Noticed they chewed up electricity rather rapidly, but I've not noticed any jittery behavior on landings or rapid terrain changes.  I used to hate these wheels in 1.0.5, but now, I think they may be my favorite ones.  As for weight, I actually think my craft is a bit light for them, but they're behaving well enough that I'm feeling confident.  Which may actually prove to be my undoing as I prepare for the next stage.

3 minutes ago, Madrias said:

Noticed they chewed up electricity rather rapidly, but I've not noticed any jittery behavior on landings or rapid terrain changes.

Haha yup. Seeing your rover in the other thread, sounds to me you've got a good balance. Personally, I couldn't quite balance things in my entry, so I dropped down to the M1 wheels (never really used em before...) I'll certainly be back to the TR in the next rally :wink:

CAN WE RACE YET TRIOP?!?!

Stage 4 scared the heck out of me.  I actually rolled it going over what I'll 'affectionately' call speed bumps while heading down a hill.  Thankfully, I buried two small reaction wheels in there (one set to SAS only, the other to Normal) so I was able to complete the one-and-a-half into a two-roll-wheel-landing and keep going with just a 180 spin as a save.  No damage, but it made me a bit more cautious through the rest of the stage, that's for sure.

Edit:

Stage 5 claimed some damage.  Broke both solar panels (one completely, the other still attached but non-functioning), and smashed part of my rear wing.  Had to put my second SAS wheel back to Normal to roll the vehicle back onto all six wheels, but was able to finish the run.  Note to my future self: Do Not climb Mount Insanity.  It isn't worth it.

Edit 2:

Stage 6 binned it.  Turtled, broken the entire rear wing, but the bloody support strut I used to hold all of it is also in the way, so I can't use SAS to roll out of it.  Well, time to go back to the drawing board, fix my mistakes, and try again.

Edited by Madrias
Adding in another stage.

7 hours ago, CranialRectosis said:

Three questions.

Is it possible to start out with a Kerbal in the seat of my rover if I use the chair (not a capsule or cockpit)? Right now I launch my rover, drive it off the runway, launch a capsule, EVA from the capsule, climb into my rover and drive...

Problem solved:

WG3M6V8.png

3 hours ago, Thor Wotansen said:

I'm still deciding if I want to run my Greyhound rover or use another really ugly one I have that isn't as crashy.

I've tested your Greyhound and modified it. Instead of making it able to withstand rolling over, I've reduced it's tendency to roll over and more. Let me know if you're interested.

7 hours ago, Azimech said:

I've tested your Greyhound and modified it. Instead of making it able to withstand rolling over, I've reduced it's tendency to roll over and more. Let me know if you're interested.

I am interested, is there somewhere I can download?

Bill surveys the damage after high centering on the ridge. 'Nope', he thinks to himself. 'There just isn't enough KerBondo in all of Kerbin to fix this one'.

Spoiler

CjJ8JFi.jpg

What a fantastic challenge!

Thanks for the idea Azimech. I have no idea how you did it, but I see what you did and will give it a shot.

First I want to tell you what a good challenge this is @Triop:D

But i have a question about something thats slightly blurry in the rules. I have a ca. 10t plane with two small deltawings and three junos, but when i go over a hill would i have to turn the engines off? or could i just go down to Kerbin at a -60 degree angle? or may i glide as long as i can if just the engines are turned off? 

Wow, that was a lot of questions, but i hope that you can/will answer them!

Im looking forward to participate in this great challenge.

I checked the OP but saw nothing solid regarding this, but I assume that an individual is only allowed to enter one vehicle per race?  I'm slightly torn between running my Outlaw or my Raider.  I like the speed and stability of the Outlaw, but I like the aesthetics of the Raider...

If I can only run one of them for the race, I'll probably just take the roll cage off of the Outlaw and replace it with one modeled after the Raider.

Edited by Slam_Jones