How can I disable these mechanical background noises in VAB and SPH?

I play with music off (I heard KSP music just enough times for now :D ), but the mechanical noises in VAB and SPH still remain. They are very annoying. How do I turn them off? I searched for that sound file in KSP folder, but found nothing. I don't even know how it is called. Can you help me, please?

18 hours ago, Archgeek said:

That...might be your case fan.  I can't think of any sound in the editor other than the music, part selection, attachment, and part deletion.

13 hours ago, tg626 said:

I just tried it and I hear no sounds in the VAB if I am not placing parts and the music is turned down.

Fun fact, the chirping birds in the space center view count as "music"

Um... It is definitely coming out of KSP. If I mute KSP, it is gone. Actually, that noise isn't always there - it only happens after I exit and enter VAB or SPH several times.

I recorded that noise... Here it is:

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1ImuQ5lALXZ

Can somebody tell me where does it come from? It sounds like pre-recorded background noise track. I checked all of my mods, and neither of them seem to have any audio file that sounds like this.

Note: even if I set every audio slider to 0 in KSP Settings, these noises are still there. If I set Master to 0, they are gone.

7 minutes ago, tg626 said:

What mods do you have installed?  I've never heard that before in my life....

FerramAerospaceResearch
TransferWindowPlanner
ModuleManager
ModularFlightIntegrator
KerbalConstructionTime
Toolbar
MagiCore
KIS
KAS
Kerbalism
PreciseManeuver
Kopernicus
ETT
YongeTechTreesPlugin-Revived
ContractConfigurator-ContractPack-SCANsat
SCANsat
ContractConfigurator
MechJeb2
BetterBurnTime
ContractConfigurator-AnomalySurveyor
ContractConfigurator-CleverSats
ContractConfigurator-FieldResearch
ContractConfigurator-KerbinSpaceStation
ContractConfigurator-Tourism
WaypointManager
xScience
SimpleConstruction
ProgressParser
ContractParser
DockingPortAlignmentIndicator
RCSBuildAid
RCSSounds
RoverWheelSounds
InterstellarFuelSwitch
CommunityResourcePack
InterstellarFuelSwitch-Core
KerbalAlarmClock
TriggerAu-Flags
KerbalPlanetaryBaseSystems
MemGraph
NavBallAdjustor
PilotAssistant
PlanetShine
PlanetShine-Config-Default
QuickMute
ReentryParticleEffect
TextureReplacer
Trajectories
CommunityTechTree
PersistentRotation
AmbientLightAdjustment
CustomBarnKit
CommunityTerrainTexturePack
FinalFrontier
KerbalKrashSystem

I checked each and every one of them for audio files, but nothing seems to match...

1 hour ago, aluc24 said:

[Giant Terrifying List]

I checked each and every one of them for audio files, but nothing seems to match...

Welp, with a list like that, I critically doubt the sound's stock.  If I were to guess, I'd suspect an interaction between RoverWheelSounds and Quickmute, or possibly KerbalKrashSystem and QuickMute if it has sounds.  Switching scenes a lot is a common trigger for things to get funky, and I would not be surprised if part of a sound file got loaded, canceled by quickmute, but played in a loop because sound code likes to use circular buffers.

2 minutes ago, Archgeek said:

Welp, with a list like that, I critically doubt the sound's stock.  If I were to guess, I'd suspect an interaction between RoverWheelSounds and Quickmute, or possibly KerbalKrashSystem and QuickMute if it has sounds.  Switching scenes a lot is a common trigger for things to get funky, and I would not be surprised if part of a sound file got loaded, canceled by quickmute, but played in a loop because sound code likes to use circular buffers.

I could try removing QuickMute to check it... But that addon is essential to me

20 minutes ago, aluc24 said:

I could try removing QuickMute to check it... But that addon is essential to me

Removing the mod is just the first step. Assuming it makes the sound go away, then you report it as a bug to the modder. With logs. :) Then it gets fixed.

But in the meantime yes, you'd have to decide which is more essential, the mod or the quiet.

Just now, 5thHorseman said:

Removing the mod is just the first step. Assuming it makes the sound go away, then you report it as a bug to the modder. With logs. :) Then it gets fixed.

But in the meantime yes, you'd have to decide which is more essential, the mod or the quiet.

Okay, thanks, I will try it. 

I can say with certainty that the sounds you are hearing "sound_ambience_industrial" which is packed into one of the games asset bundles.  One of your MODs plugins must be triggering it to play in it's code - I can't think of any other way you'd be hearing it and no one else seems to.  Might also explain why it doesn't respond to any of the "channels" in the mixer.  

I did docking sound effects and you have to add lines of code to make sounds obey the volume of the mixer, which someone must have left out.

If you find it, I'd love to know - I'd like to look at the source code for it...

• 4 years later...

I know this is an old thread but the sanity sake I just want to report it as well so @aluc24 report is corroborated. 

Fresh ksp 1.12.1 install absolutely no mod. 

- Humming sound is present in VAB/SPH

- If I disable ambiance in ksp setting Humming sound is gone  (however doing this also remove ambient sound in building and while flying rocket "loose shut off sound from engines for examples". This was similarly reported by Aluc24 so it's not a viable work around)

Unfortunately  I've searched for "sound_ambience_industrial" as pointed out by @tg626 in the hope to being able to replace that sound file with a blank one. But I can't find it anywhere in the source files of KSP so I suspect it might be compiled now or renamed.  

FYI: It's funny that anywhere and everywhere this as been reported a common  trend remain in the comments lol no Aluc24 you're not hearing sound :-) 

Happy flying ! 

• 1 year later...

This hum is driving up the wall! I can't even mute it unless I mute the whole game, only master audio slider effects it. And it's present while out in space too! 

It was Chatterer! nvm.

Edited by russiannuke
fixt

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.