A thread for the adjectives for celestial bodies!

MinimalMinmus

That's pretty much it. What do you think the adjective to describe [body]'s [thing] should be?

Here's my personal list

Kerbol => Kerbolar

Moho => Mohite

Eve => Evian; Gilly => Gillic

Kerbin => Kerbian, Mun => Munar, Minmus => Minmal

Duna => Dunian, Ike => [?] This one's tricky...

Dres => Drian

Jool => Joolian, Laythe => Laythian, Vall => Valic, Tylo => Tyloite, Bop => Bopic, Pol => Pollar

Eeloo => Eelite

So, what do you guys think? (I may update my list if you find good names for some)

Linguistics degree here. Sit back and I'll matter-of-factly tell you what sounds right to me, make some vague mention of root language morphological convention, and hope nobody notices that I'm no more qualified to define the standard adjectival nomenclature of a fictitious star system than Jeb himself.

The way this morphological process works in real life is either
1) just slapping on the suffix, like in "Neptunian"
2) slapping on the suffix after a deletion of the end sound, like in "Uranian"
3) reverting to the original form of the root word then applying the root-language-appropriate suffix, like in "Jovian," "Lunar," and "Venerian" (which is more correct but less preferred than "Venusian," which was made up relatively recently to avoid sounding like it's related to venereal disease, believe it or not)
4) applying the suffix and reducing/blending/assimilating/otherwise-phonologically-changing the pre-suffixal sound, like in "Martian" ([z]->[sh]) and "Cererean" (for Ceres) ([z]->[r])--these follow phonological patterns and (usually) aren't totally arbitrarily decided.

As you'll see if you check Wikipedia's "List of adjectivals and demonyms of astronomical bodies", there are a few suffixes that are considered "valid" for this stuff, but the most widely used by FAR is "-ian", which usually just gets slapped on there by dudes who were more interested in the scientific discovery of the celestial body itself than the adjectival derivation of the cool name they got to come up with for it.

...Anyway, here's what I think is the most conventionally correct way to refer to the planets and moons of the Kerbol system. Sorry some of them don't sound cool.

Kerbol - Come on, it's "the Sun." Solar.

Moho - Mohonian

Eve - Evian
     Gilly - Gillian

Kerbin - just Kerbin, in my opinion. Otherwise, Kerbian
     Mun - Munar
     Minmus - Minmal

Duna - Dunian
     Ike - Ikal (small liberties taken, because "Ikian" blows and also sounds like it refers to a Swedish flat-pack furniture company)

Dres - Dresian (dreez-ian)

Jool - Joolian (I say Jovian because I prefer it, but some of you probably won't like that)
     Laythe - Laythian
     Vall - Vallian
     Tylo - Tylonian
     Bop - Boptic (see parenthetical statement after Ike)
     Pol - Polian

Eeloo - Eeloovian

But the bottom line (as with most queries about spoken language) is that it really doesn't matter. Language (especially English) is flexible and always changing, and what's correct is defined as the way people use it with one another. So if people all just say "Kerbin" as its own adjective even though it doesn't have the right ending, then once it sticks, that shapes the rule for what's "correct" in our kids' textbooks down the road.

tl;dr - Say what you like! Adopt OP's list, my list, no list, or your own list--whichever you like best. 

This has been fun! Linguistics doesn't come up in my aerospace hobbies very often. Cheers!

4 hours ago, MitchS said:

Kerbol - Come on, it's "the Sun." Solar.

Moho - Mohonian

Eve - Evian
     Gilly - Gillian

Kerbin - just Kerbin, in my opinion. Otherwise, Kerbian
     Mun - Munar
     Minmus - Minmal

Duna - Dunian
     Ike - Ikal (small liberties taken, because "Ikian" blows and also sounds like it refers to a Swedish flat-pack furniture company)

Dres - Dresian (dreez-ian)

Jool - Joolian (I say Jovian because I prefer it, but some of you probably won't like that)
     Laythe - Laythian
     Vall - Vallian
     Tylo - Tylonian
     Bop - Boptic (see parenthetical statement after Ike)
     Pol - Polian

Eeloo - Eeloovian

Let's see... I kinda like what you found for bop and Ike. Adapting the adjective for Ceres (cererean), you can get to ""Drerian", which sounds pretty good actually.

Also, just for the lulz, here's my list, OMP style!

Sarnus: Sarnian; Hale: Halian ; Ovok: Ovian ; Slate: Slatic ; Tekto: Tektonic :sticktongue:

Urlum: Urlic ; Polta: Poltian; Priax: Prian; Wal : Walite; Tal: Talite

Neidon: Neidar; Thatmo: Thatmian; Nisse: Nissian

Plock: Plockian; Karen: Karian

Edited by MinimalMinmus
Yes The Aziz, this was obviously a typo

3 hours ago, MinimalMinmus said:

Nisse: Nisssian

What
Okay, while most of these are kinda intuitive to read, these three "s" here... :sticktongue: (though I hope it was just a missclick)

To be honest, are there any grammar rules about it? Like after vowel there must be "vian", or where there is V before the vowel, cut it and don't make it "vvian" etc?

@The Aziz Nope, not really. There are certain morphological (how individual words are assembled, to include suffixes) and phonological (how we pronounce the sounds within individual words) rules for English words in general, which you pretty much know intuitively as a native speaker of English (assuming English is your first language). You may not be able to recite these rules, but you notice when they're broken--because whether we feel like we are or not, our brains are grammar experts for the language that we speak, whether it's for the "academic standard" of grammar or a regional or familial variant. Grammar is a fundamental structural component of language, and brains know and apply it unconsciously. They even subconsciously raise red flags when it's incorrectly used by interlocutors or by yourself. Like, if I said "The thick Uranusian cloudtops" to make a relevant example, you'd say it doesn't sound right and you'd be correct, by standard English rules, because I've violated an aspect of the morphological process a word undergoes to be changed to an adjectival version of itself. You may not be able to define why it sounds wrong, but sound wrong it does. But beyond the inherent phonological properties of the English language, the rules about the suffixation in this context are pretty lax and open to preference, to a degree:

- There are a handful of correct or mostly-correct suffixes to attach to make the word for a planet into an adjectival modifier. -ian/-ean, -ar/-al, etc. Language of origin affects which ones are more appropriate, but if there isn't a widely-accepted term for a celestial body already, then you can get away with whatever sounds fine from that list.
- There are a few almost-correct but mostly-wrong suffixes that do make nouns into adjectives in other contexts but aren't appropriate in this context. -ous, -ly, -ish, etc.
- ...And there are certainly really, really wrong suffixes. -ing, -able, -tion, and -licious, to name a few. 

So as you can see, there's plenty of wrong ways, but you can generally take your pick of the mostly correct ones. If you want to be narrow it down to the MOST correct ones, I guess they'd be the ones that are easiest for the English speaker to say, but that's not exactly objectively measured either.

Kerbol => Kerbolian

Moho => Mohian

Eve => Evian; Gilly => Gillian

Kerbin => Kerbal, Mün => Münar, Minmus => Minmine

Duna => Dunian, Ike => Ikish

Dres => Dresian

Jool => Joolian, Laythe => Laythian, Vall => Vallian, Tylo => Tylian, Bop => Bopian, Pol => Polian

Eeloo => Eelian

I have words for some places but not others; also custom words for the apses like in reality. This list also includes some modded planets/moons, and may be edited in future because I'll use it as a continuous reference.

Kerbol ==> Kerbol, Aphelion, Perihelion

Moho ==> Mohan, Apmo, Perimo

Arkas (Arkas) ==> Arkan, Apoark, Periark

Eve ==> Evian, Apoeve, Perieve

Gilly ==> Gillian, no unique words for apses

Kerbin ==> Kerbin, no unique words for apses

Mun ==> Munar, Apomune, Perimune

Minmus ==> Minmus, Apomin, Perimin

Duna ==> Dunian, Apodune, Peridune

Ike ==> no unique words

Nyke (XPC) ==> no unique words

Mios (XPC) ==> Mian, Apmi, Perimi

Glac (XPC) ==> no unique words

Serc (XPC) ==> no unique words

Dres ==> no unique words

Richell (XPC) ==> no unique words

Jool ==> Joolian, Apojool, Perijool

Laythe ==> Laythian, no unique words for apses

Vall ==> no unique words

Tylo ==> no unique words

Bop ==> no unique words

Pol ==> no unique words

Sarnus (OPM) ==> Chronian, Apochron, Perichron (explanation: Sarnus is based on Saturn, which is named after the greek primordial deity of time, Chronos and is associated with the affix "chron")

no unique words for moons of Sarnus

Urlum (OPM) ==> no unique words for planet or moons

Neidon (OPM) ==> no unique words for planet or moons

Plock-Karen (OPM)

Plock (and barycenter) ==> Plockian, no unique words for apses

no unique words for moons

Edited by eloquentJane

1 hour ago, MitchS said:

assuming English is your first language

It's not, that's why I'm asking. I got enough grammar in my language [did you know that in Polish there could be two-digit number (sometimes over 40, fortunately some of them are not used too often) of different forms of one verb?] so I don't need to know too many details in another language, considering I can already communicate on reasonable level. 

Also, while I'm talking about it, here are examples of how it would look in Polish because why not

Sun - słoneczny

Kerbin - kerbiński

Mun - munarny

Minmus - minmusowy

Duna - duniański

Dres - dresiarski (that here is funny because dres in my language means literally tracksuit, so I immediately see guy in a tracksuit with baseball bat, and he's not going to play baseball)

Jool - jooliański (from now it's getting weird because now I'm mixing two languages in one word)

Laythe - Laythiański

Vall - Valliański

I haven't much tried thinking of the rest so no examples.

EDIT: of course different forms of these adjectives also exist, but that would be too much in one post.

Edited by The Aziz

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.