The Kerbal Dakar 2017 entry vehicles thread

Triop

JgO2GvC.png

4 hours ago, Triop said:

Allthough I doubt this will make it, it drives very nice around the KSC.

I call her "9 parts" because, well...

aFprYis.png

(it has 2 retractable solar panels on the back that you can't see on this picture.)

You should try the other way around instead, two up front 1 behind, much better handling :)

13 hours ago, DrunkenKerbalnaut said:

Deadman switch: Filthy thief, that's my idea :wink: . Had an idea for ground tracking - use radar elevation. Measure every 5ms or so to find the angle. Idk how heavy that would be on KOS, but it's a simple method to get your rise and run. 

I didn't know KOS used EC. Nice. 

"every 5 ms or so" : Unity emulates the universe in "physics step" timeslices that are significantly longer than 5 ms.  It will be impossible, no matter how fast you set the kOS Instructions Per Update, to get readings from the physical universe that update any faster than Unity itself does it.  Essentially the universe is "frozen" (all the readings you can take such as position, velocity, distance, etc will keep giving the same exact value) until the next physics step occurs.

8 minutes ago, Steven Mading said:

"every 5 ms or so" : Unity emulates the universe in "physics step" timeslices that are significantly longer than 5 ms.  It will be impossible, no matter how fast you set the kOS Instructions Per Update, to get readings from the physical universe that update any faster than Unity itself does it.  Essentially the universe is "frozen" (all the readings you can take such as position, velocity, distance, etc will keep giving the same exact value) until the next physics step occurs.

Must be the reason our stock turboprop engines start to fall apart at angular velocities > 51.3 rad/s.

1 hour ago, DrunkenKerbalnaut said:

Not sure I understand the implications here. The part where they "fall apart". You mean actual part destruction?

Yeah, physics go ga-ga. Really weird to see ... joints suddenly become spaghetti. If you throttle down or increase propeller pitch immediately you can save it. Otherwise it wil RUD.

Just now, Azimech said:

Yeah, physics go ga-ga. Really weird to see ... joints suddenly become spaghetti. If you throttle down or increase propeller pitch immediately you can save it. Otherwise it wil RUD.

OH! Like stock prop engines made of ailerons. I thought you meant like the Goliath or wheesley. 

I picked my vehicle for Dakar2017, a superlight stock fuelcell powered dune buggy.
It sacrifices safety for insane speeds and awesomeness. The fueltank must be replenished at stage 4, if it ever happens that it makes it so far. Jebediah (mostly testdriving this crazy piece of kerbal engineering stupidity) mentioned after wrecking no. 67 of the factory release:

"Good thing the rollcage of this scrapsled does it`s job or i wouldn`t be here anymore... . The lack of snackstorage is disgusting."

eobxOlc.png

5 minutes ago, Triop said:

Must see: &)

What's the name of that song? I MUST KNOW

1 hour ago, Mikki said:

I picked my vehicle for Dakar2017, a superlight stock fuelcell powered dune buggy.
It sacrifices safety for insane speeds and awesomeness. The fueltank must be replenished at stage 4, if it ever happens that it makes it so far. Jebediah (mostly testdriving this crazy piece of kerbal engineering stupidity) mentioned after wrecking no. 67 of the factory release:

"Good thing the rollcage of this scrapsled does it`s job or i wouldn`t be here anymore... . The lack of snackstorage is disgusting."

eobxOlc.png

I'm totally going to steal use this sort of design in the KSC 2 to Desert Temple Rally challenge.

8 minutes ago, DarkOwl57 said:

What's the name of that song? I MUST KNOW

I'm totally going to steal use this sort of design in the KSC 2 to Desert Temple Rally challenge.

No problem, :D it`s a neckbreak, i am glad you won`t sue me after reviving your drivers...:D

1 hour ago, Slam_Jones said:

Very inspirational!  I really want to build one of those big blocky trucks and give it a try now lol

I don't know if any are released mods, but I know that a few modders around here have pretty sweet HEMTT models in game that would serve this purpose. A google or two would serve well. I'd love to see one plastered in sponsorship decals haha. 

BREAKING NEWS

Owl Aircraft Race Team announces stunning change with just 9 days left in the testing period.

Earlier today, the race team announced that they would be changing their race vehicle from the Dakar 1 to the ODR-5, which is produced by the famous manufacturer Kerrari. Here are shots of the car.

Spoiler

kj0Rsil.png

NNGx46f.png

uX4esv2.png

LH3sI3D.png

b9DeD85.png

Oh, and I FINALLY GOT SCREENSHOTS!!!!! AREN'T YOU PROUD OF ME MOM?!?!?

5 minutes ago, DarkOwl57 said:

BREAKING NEWS

Owl Aircraft Race Team announces stunning change with just 9 days left in the testing period.

Earlier today, the race team announced that they would be changing their race vehicle from the Dakar 1 to the ODR-5, which is produced by the famous manufacturer Kerrari. Here are shots of the car.

Hide contents

kj0Rsil.png

NNGx46f.png

uX4esv2.png

LH3sI3D.png

b9DeD85.png

Oh, and I FINALLY GOT SCREENSHOTS!!!!! AREN'T YOU PROUD OF ME MOM?!?!?

That. Is. Awesome. 

Who makes the outer headlights?

Alright, so even though the vehicle is AMAZING, it has some minor problems.

1. It seems to toe towards the right. I don't know what's going on, but it's turning about 1 degree right every 2-3 seconds. I hope that re-arranging the rotation is enough

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.