[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

2 hours ago, Reaver Song said:

Kolonytools.dll does exist in my install, and on further inspection there is also a Kolonytools.dll.mdb, and a Kolonytools.pdb.

@RoverDude

Do I need Microsoft Office in order to use the mod? Or is this an incorrect file extension?

Bit of a standard answer... but have you tried reinstalling it? Also, do you use USI-LS? If not, that **could** be why it isn't loading the cfgs for LS resources.

5 hours ago, Urses said:

@Reaver Song

Wich sytem do you use? PC or Mac.

Mac was mentioned in the past as troublemaker because it quarantines all .dll Files. The only way around was to drag all subdirektories inside the KSP install and put them in again. Aftermath the Mac flags the files as save.

Hope this helps

Urses

E: Sorry you have to deaktivate firewall too for it

I use a Mac and have never heard of this.  Could you point me at your source?  (Maybe it only applies to CKAN installs - which aren't very well supported on Mac anyway.)

@Reaver Song, it definitely sounds like you have some issue with your downloaded install, at least from your logs.  How are you downloading?  Is it possible some program is trying to be 'helpful' and post-processing those files for you?  (You mentioned seeing two files being marked as MS Word for instance - they are needed files, but they aren't MS Word files.)

@DStaal

For the Mac mention i found the link look second entry, and here at first the Virusscanner problem

And here is the post where i stumbled on Mac OS problem

There are some links too for more informations.

Hope it helps

Urses

Edited by Urses

11 hours ago, Reaver Song said:

MKS 0.50.18.0 and USITools 0.8.18.0. I've yet to try on a clean copy of KSP, but that is something I'd prefer to use as a last resort.

tbh, this whole thing should just work out of the box.

Two things to do.  First.  Seriously.  Try on a clean install.  This will likely save us both a lot of time.

Second.  Put it somewhere besides below your Program Files directory as this has been known to cause issues in the past with mods in general.

9 hours ago, RoverDude said:

Two things to do.  First.  Seriously.  Try on a clean install.  This will likely save us both a lot of time.

Second.  Put it somewhere besides below your Program Files directory as this has been known to cause issues in the past with mods in general.

Alright, I'll do that today, and report back soon.

I've copied the Steam installation into my documents and have deleted the original, and begun reinstalling via Steam. However, my computer doesn't seem to like me deleting folders that have folders of their own, which makes it a tedious process. But that's a whole other issue. So I've had to leave the Gamedata\Squad folder intact, but the rest of \Gamedata is gone. Many other folders are telling me Access Denied, so that could also be a similar problem.

I just solved the permissions problem with a restart, am now testing the copied KSP in My Documents to see if the permissions problem was causing the inability to access the module.

Testing showed the module still failed to load, and he same problem was evident in the ksp.log file. I will also try with a fresh install in the steam directory now.

Edited by Reaver Song

9 hours ago, RoverDude said:

Fresh install worked, the button appears correctly. Does that mean that the problem was with my installation procedure, or with a mod conflict?

Just now, Reaver Song said:

Fresh install worked, the button appears correctly. Does that mean that the problem was with my installation procedure, or with a mod conflict?

Absolutely no idea.  Start moving your mods over and let us know :wink:

I'm feeling like a noob, So sorry for the bad question but are all of the OKS hub parts gone?  What do people use in their place for space stations in order to get 90 degree attachments?

Edited by goldenpsp

12 minutes ago, goldenpsp said:

I'm feeling like a noob, So sorry for the bad question but are all of the OKS hub parts gone?  What do people use in their place for space stations in order to get 90 degree attachments?

Yep, all gone.  Personally, I use mostly NFC Octo-hubs, but I also have some Tundra 2.5M hubs - usually the 'short' version.  Somewhat obscured, but you can see both in use here:

station_demo.png

Just now, DStaal said:

Yep, all gone.  Personally, I use mostly NFC Octo-hubs, but I also have some Tundra 2.5M hubs - usually the 'short' version.  Somewhat obscured, but you can see both in use here:

station_demo.png

Thanks, I'll look at those.  I still like having some stations that aren't just long sticks.

56 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

Absolutely no idea.  Start moving your mods over and let us know :wink:

Mods all moved over, as well as my main save. The dashboard works!

But I loaded my save and found that a significant amount of my ships contained invalid parts. Had I missed something? I searched my download folder, and found a zipped UKS 0.31.12.0

Looking in the directory in My Documents shows that indeed the files from UKS were there, as one of my first installations, also under \UmbraSpaceIndustries. However, MKS is bundled with several other mods, and is thus inside \UmbraSpaceIndustries. So when I installed MKS, it did not replace any files from my UKS install, which I didn't know I had. So it explained a lot of weird inconsistencies in the mod, such as there being 2 nuclear reactor modules in all the USI nuclear reactors except the 1.25m-s, which was not in UKS. It also explains why the log listed 2 copies of attempts to load KolonyTools.

I am definitely going to lose this save, as I have several UKS parts on many important ships, but I am confident that the problem was definitively caused by my non-deletion of UKS prior to installing MKS, which was sloppy. Thanks for your help.

I don't envy starting from scratch, but maybe I'll get water on Minmus this time. Fingers crossed!

But I'm also trying one last time to delete the MyDocs UKS Kolonytools and see if that makes anything salvaged.

@RoverDude

SUCCESS!

Edited by Reaver Song

18 minutes ago, goldenpsp said:

Thanks, I'll look at those.  I still like having some stations that aren't just long sticks.

Agreed.  (And that long stick in that picture is intended to be a station core.  Not sure what I'll add on, but it's basically just habitation and fuel storage.)

3 minutes ago, DStaal said:

Agreed.  (And that long stick in that picture is intended to be a station core.  Not sure what I'll add on, but it's basically just habitation and fuel storage.)

Oh I wasn't knocking your "stick" at all.  The biggest thing is for more docking.  In past saves my LKO station often would have 3+ ships docked at any given time ready to head out to the next mission.  Need all those branches to fit everything.

9 hours ago, goldenpsp said:

Oh I wasn't knocking your "stick" at all.  The biggest thing is for more docking.  In past saves my LKO station often would have 3+ ships docked at any given time ready to head out to the next mission.  Need all those branches to fit everything.

Didn't think you were.  :wink:  And I hear you on docking - those octo-hub docking ports are designated *only* for temporary docking - One set for crewed ships, one for uncrewed.  Main purpose of this station is a transfer hub and waypoint - a Kerbal's first and last stop anywhere outside of Kerbin is here.

8 hours ago, RoverDude said:

@goldenpsp - if there are some specific bits you'd like to see again, let me know, given I am in the middle of some station parts anyway

I always liked the 'ball and wheel' hubs - gave a real feel of a part designed to let you go in any direction.  (Though I'll admit they were a bit colorful to fit with current stock-alike.)

8 hours ago, RoverDude said:

@goldenpsp - if there are some specific bits you'd like to see again, let me know, given I am in the middle of some station parts anyway

I'd have to look at an old copy of MKS to remember the exact bits, but basically the station building parts.  the 2 way hub, the rigid tubes and the reducer caps you could put on the ends.

edit- found an old picture.  The parts that make the cross.

FXEe1Wq.png

Edited by goldenpsp

30 minutes ago, voicey99 said:

Does anyone know what the "servo controller" function that comes with MKS actually does? As far as I'm concerned, it's just cluttering the AppLauncher

You mean the button that controls forklifts and stuff?

1 hour ago, notthebobo said:

One problem I've encountered with the Bigelows is it's hard to strut them; there's nothing on the ends to grab onto.

I tried to make Bigelows Lunar depot but if you try to put anything at the top, like a docking port, the whole thing gets pretty wiggly.

They should have full surface attach (and shed the parts upon inflation)