[1.5.1] Kerbal Star Systems [v0.8.2] August 18, 2018

StarCrusher96

3 hours ago, Galileo said:

I know it will. It will just take renaming and changing some reference bodies in the cfgs.

Did this in the beginning of kss and the problem with this solution is that the central star then has an soi = infinite. Changing this broke the mod completely.

The cfg's have all been corrected in 0.5 so there is no longer old stuff in it.

The weird thing is that i never have shifting orbits and never have all those bugs.

I'm going to look into these problems tonight and see how i can solve it. But people have to remember I go full-time to uni and that I'm not a full time mod dev. :D

Edited by StarCrusher96

11 minutes ago, StarCrusher96 said:

Did this in the beginning of kss and the problem with this solution is that the central star then has an soi = infinite. Changing this broke the mod completely.

But the central star needs an infinite SOI. Technically, even in the current release of KSS, The All has an infinite SOI. This is why even the other stars in the mod are orbiting the All, so i don't see what difference it would make to make the switch like i suggested. It may fix the issue for other that do have the problem

2 minutes ago, Galileo said:

But the central star needs an infinite SOI. Technically, even in the current release of KSS, The All has an infinite SOI. This is why even the other stars in the mod are orbiting the All, so i don't see what difference it would make to make the switch like i suggested. It may fix the issue for other that do have the problem

Because when kerbol becomes again the central star i want a fixed soi? And the all orbiting with an infinite soi breaks the mod. It's the reason why i reparented kerbin.

Edited by StarCrusher96

5 minutes ago, StarCrusher96 said:

Because when kerbol becomes again the central star i want a fixed soi? And the all orbiting with an infinite soi breaks the mod. It's the reason why i reparented kerbin.

I don't think you completely understand my suggestion. Kerbol won't be the central star, The All will remain the center point. Kerbol will still be orbiting The All and can have a fixed SOI. Nothing in your mod will change except templates and reference bodies in your cfgs, but you will not see a difference in game except maybe there won't be bugs for some people. I understand this isn't my mod, and you can choose to ignore my advice, I just know how it is having people constantly bug you for fixes. If you don't want to try what im saying its ok

24 minutes ago, Galileo said:

I don't think you completely understand my suggestion. Kerbol won't be the central star, The All will remain the center point. Kerbol will still be orbiting The All and can have a fixed SOI. Nothing in your mod will change except templates and reference bodies in your cfgs, but you will not see a difference in game except maybe there won't be bugs for some people. I understand this isn't my mod, and you can choose to ignore my advice, I just know how it is having people constantly bug you for fixes. If you don't want to try what im saying its ok

Oh now i see... I'll try :)

I'm having a small issue with Eve. Well, a rather big one actually. I tried looking around if anyone else was having my same issue but I couldn't, so I'm posting here.

Eve's air resistance is so high it's impossible to take off from the surface with anything. I can't even crash anything into the surface because by the time anything makes it to even 4000 meters above sea level, the highest velocity I can achieve is 11.4 m/2...firing a 6000 Kn engine straight at the ground. I tried going into sandbox, setting a SpaceY 3.75m SRB with a probe core and nosecone and that SRB has 24,000 Kn ASL of thrust and it can't even lift off with just a 1.5-ton load on it. Also, I decided to put some Kerbals on Eve's surface to see how their sprinting works. Sometimes when I have them sprinting and make them take a sharp turn, I'll get a small mach effect and them turning while sprinting will generate 4G's of acceleration. Also, rovers don't seem to work on Eve either, they tear themselves apart trying to move.

Either way, the air resistance for Eve needs to be reduced, it's a bit OP at the moment, once you land something you aren't getting it back, found out the hard way sending a low-cost probe I had intended to have come back using Eve Optimized Engines and it couldn't even lift off.

Also, I ended up getting rid of scatterer and the cloud generator because they kill my laptop's framerate, however the atmospheric effect is so heavy it's causing me lag to look at Eve from orbit, where do I go in the files to tone down the atmospheric effects? I tried looking through the Eve config file...but I honestly have no clue what I'm looking at.

Edited by chaoseclipse01

33 minutes ago, chaoseclipse01 said:

I'm having a small issue with Eve. Well, a rather big one actually. I tried looking around if anyone else was having my same issue but I couldn't, so I'm posting here.

Eve's air resistance is so high it's impossible to take off from the surface with anything. I can't even crash anything into the surface because by the time anything makes it to even 4000 meters above sea level, the highest velocity I can achieve is 11.4 m/2...firing a 6000 Kn engine straight at the ground. I tried going into sandbox, setting a SpaceY 3.75m SRB with a probe core and nosecone and that SRB has 24,000 Kn ASL of thrust and it can't even lift off with just a 1.5-ton load on it. Also, I decided to put some Kerbals on Eve's surface to see how their sprinting works. Sometimes when I have them sprinting and make them take a sharp turn, I'll get a small mach effect and them turning while sprinting will generate 4G's of acceleration. Also, rovers don't seem to work on Eve either, they tear themselves apart trying to move.

Either way, the air resistance for Eve needs to be reduced, it's a bit OP at the moment, once you land something you aren't getting it back, found out the hard way sending a low-cost probe I had intended to have come back using Eve Optimized Engines and it couldn't even lift off.

Also, I ended up getting rid of scatterer and the cloud generator because they kill my laptop's framerate, however the atmospheric effect is so heavy it's causing me lag to look at Eve from orbit, where do I go in the files to tone down the atmospheric effects? I tried looking through the Eve config file...but I honestly have no clue what I'm looking at.

Eve's atmosphere has a pressure of 98 Kerbin atmospheres. This is because Eve is the Venus analogue in KSS. In real life, someone landing on Venus would experience the same thing as you have. The atmosphere is so dense those things should happen as they would on Venus. That is supposed to add to the difficulty of landing and returning from Eve.

13 minutes ago, TheSpacePotato said:

Eve's atmosphere has a pressure of 98 Kerbin atmospheres. This is because Eve is the Venus analogue in KSS. In real life, someone landing on Venus would experience the same thing as you have. The atmosphere is so dense those things should happen as they would on Venus. That is supposed to add to the difficulty of landing and returning from Eve.

Yeah, I know about Venus having 90x Eath's atmosphere and all, in fact, Venus's atmosphere is closer to being a Super Fluid rather than being gaseous and a "gentle" breeze on Venus is equivalent in kinetic energy as a Category 5 Hurricane on Earth, but I imagine even on Venus if you put a rocket with 24,000 Kn worth of thrust on it it would at least get some vertical speed. Eve's atmospheric drag is so high it's like the craft is being held by launch clamps. With Kerbal Engineer installed, I was getting -175.xx mm/s^2 acceleration with the SpaceY 24,000 Kn SRB with 100% thrust. That's beyond insane. It makes it where landing on Eve and bringing your science back is impossible. I'm landing craft from orbit without parachutes or the 10m inflating heatshield with a landing speeds less than 10 m/s. Eve's atmospheric drag needs some tweaking.

4 minutes ago, chaoseclipse01 said:

Yeah, I know about Venus having 90x Eath's atmosphere and all, in fact, Venus's atmosphere is closer to being a Super Fluid rather than being gaseous and a "gentle" breeze on Venus is equivalent in kinetic energy as a Category 5 Hurricane on Earth, but I imagine even on Venus if you put a rocket with 24,000 Kn worth of thrust on it it would at least get some vertical speed. Eve's atmospheric drag is so high it's like the craft is being held by launch clamps. With Kerbal Engineer installed, I was getting -175.xx mm/s^2 acceleration with the SpaceY 24,000 Kn SRB with 100% thrust. That's beyond insane. It makes it where landing on Eve and bringing your science back is impossible. I'm landing craft from orbit without parachutes or the 10m inflating heatshield with a landing speeds less than 10 m/s. Eve's atmospheric drag needs some tweaking.

The Kerbol system is designed to be very similar to our real solar system. Venus' atmosphere is crushing and it would be impossible to retrieve any ship sent into the atmosphere of Venus. Don't send kerbals to Eve and don't expect to retrieve a craft from Eve. Transmit your science. If you want more science send more landers to different biomes. :)

18 minutes ago, Voodoo8648 said:

The Kerbol system is designed to be very similar to our real solar system. Venus' atmosphere is crushing and it would be impossible to retrieve any ship sent into the atmosphere of Venus. Don't send kerbals to Eve and don't expect to retrieve a craft from Eve. Transmit your science. If you want more science send more landers to different biomes. :)

That more or less renders Eve as being useless. Can't visit the surface without returning to Kerbin, and can only get partial science from Transmission. Absolutely zero incentive to spend any time going to Eve in the first place. Also, KSP doesn't model aerodynamic drag properly in the first place (Especially since wing surfaces fly just as good backwards as they do forwards). Setting the atmospheric pressure that high more or less inhibits any kind of craft movement, including rovers (Had one tear itself apart trying to go above a few meters per second). Also, I don't think Kerbals sprinting should be producing mach effects and randomly generating G's of acceleration from turning while sprinting. Also, like I stated earlier, even with Venus's air pressure, if you put a rocket on the surface, it's still going to generate thrust and obtain some type of vertical velocity, not have the atmosphere generate negative velocity out of your engine.

Edited by chaoseclipse01

3 minutes ago, chaoseclipse01 said:

That more or less renders Eve as being useless. Can't visit the surface without returning to Kerbin, and can only get partial science from Transmission. Absolutely zero incentive to spend any time going to Eve in the first place. Also, KSP doesn't model aerodynamic drag properly in the first place (Especially since wing surfaces fly just as good backwards as they do forwards). Setting the atmospheric pressure that high more or less inhibits any kind of craft movement, including rovers (Had one tear itself apart trying to go above a few meters per second). Also, I don't think Kerbals sprinting should be producing mach effects and randomly generating G's of acceleration from turning while sprinting. Also, like I stated earlier, even with Venus's air pressure, if you put a rocket on the surface, it's still going to generate thrust and obtain some type of vertical velocity, not have the atmosphere generate negative velocity out of your engine.

Given what I have seen when folks mess with KSP's atmospheric settings, I can understand your opinion on this.  (I have, admittedly, not done this myself.)  Also, I agree that firing a rocket on Venus would very likely result in upward acceleration.  KSP doesn't really know how to handle that level of atmospheric pressure.

I would note, however, that if you're trying to get off of Venus, the atmospheric pressure would be the least of your problems.  :)  I tend to think that, with advances in materials science and engineering, we could likely develop a lander which could last for more than a couple hours and potential land a rover as well, though I still don't think we would get nearly as much operational time with them as we've seen elsewhere.  (Opportunity is SUCH A TROOPER!)  I'd love to see a sample return mission from Venus, but I highly doubt we're going to see that for a long time.

Making Eve into a closer Venus analog DOES increase the challenges with conducting missions there, but I would argue that it does not make Eve useless.  True, you won't gain as much science as you would in a return mission, but you'll still get something.  As Voodoo said, if you want more science, send more landers to different biomes.  :) At least, that'll be my plan once I've got time to try a playthrough!

15 minutes ago, chaoseclipse01 said:

There's about 70-80 celestial bodies in KSS. As in reality, not all are hospitable to even unmanned spacecraft. Eve is absolutely useful in acquiring more science, even if it doesn't yield as much science as you WANT, or think it should yield. I believe science yields have been modified in KSS, so (again as in reality) you're going to want to extract as much science as you possibly can and this is EVEN MORE REASON to go and visit Eve. Your greed for "100%" science extraction blinds you to the realities of space exploration. This is a space simulator. 

So I am having an issue with the download, it will start loading and then once it gets to about 60% it just stops changing. I opened the task manager an found that It jus stopped downloading! Afterwards, it will say (name of file) couldn't be downloaded. I have tried again numerous times and it just wont download. 

4 minutes ago, ModerndayLink64 said:

So I am having an issue with the download, it will start loading and then once it gets to about 60% it just stops changing. I opened the task manager an found that It jus stopped downloading! Afterwards, it will say (name of file) couldn't be downloaded. I have tried again numerous times and it just wont download. 

Where did you download it? Github or CurseForge?

I have just run into an issue were EVA does not work. I Eva a kerbal, and the game locks up. I can click, time passes, et cetra, but the game is unresponsive to all imputs. I can't hit space to get off the ladder, ESC to quit the game, or b to board the thing. This is a rather large issue, as Jeb currently needs to do an Eva report to get me "landing".

1 minute ago, A_beholder said:

I have just run into an issue were EVA does not work. I Eva a kerbal, and the game locks up. I can click, time passes, et cetra, but the game is unresponsive to all imputs. I can't hit space to get off the ladder, ESC to quit the game, or b to board the thing. This is a rather large issue, as Jeb currently needs to do an Eva report to get me "landing".

logs?

2 minutes ago, A_beholder said:

Strange. I haven't seen anything remotely similar to that other than when I'm EVAing on The Creator

3 minutes ago, A_beholder said:

Are you time warping when trying to EVA? Everything is locked on EVA if you are time warping. Even if you are barely warping.

Edited by Galileo