[1.4.3] Gameslinx's Planet Overhaul v3.4.0 [UPDATE IN PROGRESS]

Gameslinx

On 3/9/2017 at 0:59 AM, JadeOfMaar said:

@Submho Olu'um is a borderline Hot Jool/Brown Dwarf. It's supposed to burn you. :wink: 

Understood, but I was heating and losing ablator even when orbiting Verex (I think... there's so many! :D) Now that I know it's intended and not a bug or something wrong with my install, I'll just keep it in mind. It was just surprising that when I warped in at "minimum safe distance", I instantly exploded. :wink: 

On 3/7/2017 at 0:48 PM, Gamel0rd1 said:

On today's 'news'!

I'm working on one of the last few planets, based off mars, but with a more tectonic feel.

TfoSmYH.jpg

LIxvzGU.jpg

I'm still working out the heightmap and all that jazz, then it's biomes and definitions for everything. I was watching a few Vsauce videos and SpaceX streams and I feel like the martian colours look awesome. Well, this will be a full sized planet roughly to Mars's scale.

Not sure where to put it, though, so I'm open to suggestions!

Must...have...tutorial!

I must know how to make textures with photoshop!

7 minutes ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

Mwarrg! I want to like your post but I ran out of rep for today! :mad:

Thanks for the link!

Remember that in After Effects the textures don't seamlessly wrap around the planet. You will need to remove the seam (so that the two west and east sides of your heightmap meat). I use Paint.net with the Blend Seams plugin for that.

Also, remember to polar invert your textures! It's much more easier in Photoshop than After Effects, so if you need help with that just ask :D

2 hours ago, Gamel0rd1 said:

Remember that in After Effects the textures don't seamlessly wrap around the planet. You will need to remove the seam (so that the two west and east sides of your heightmap meat). I use Paint.net with the Blend Seams plugin for that.

Also, remember to polar invert your textures! It's much more easier in Photoshop than After Effects, so if you need help with that just ask :D

By using the uploaded After Effects file I attached to that tutorial you can "auto-magically' blend in the wrap seam during the terrain forming process.

Hello Gamel0rd1, I have to say, I love this mod. It totally enriches the Kerbol system and it looks stunningly beautiful, particularly with EVE. So exciting to explore.

I have a couple of questions though (and pardon if they've already been asked/answered)

- It seems Neibos' orbit intersects Duna's at the same inclination... um collision risk? Given enough orbits they might just smack into each other or get caught in each other's SOI.

- Neibos, and a couple of the other atmospheric worlds are said to have breathable atmospheres, but at ~0.06atm and 13.7K surface temperatures... that's not too breathable or possible for liquid water, are the physical parameters for them due to be updated later to more realistic values? It's interesting to see that Neibos will orbit well into the habitable butter zone of the Kerbol system and then stray outward... that would make for some harsh winters methinks.

8 hours ago, techm said:

Hello Gamel0rd1, I have to say, I love this mod. It totally enriches the Kerbol system and it looks stunningly beautiful, particularly with EVE. So exciting to explore.

I have a couple of questions though (and pardon if they've already been asked/answered)

- It seems Neibos' orbit intersects Duna's at the same inclination... um collision risk? Given enough orbits they might just smack into each other or get caught in each other's SOI.

- Neibos, and a couple of the other atmospheric worlds are said to have breathable atmospheres, but at ~0.06atm and 13.7K surface temperatures... that's not too breathable or possible for liquid water, are the physical parameters for them due to be updated later to more realistic values? It's interesting to see that Neibos will orbit well into the habitable butter zone of the Kerbol system and then stray outward... that would make for some harsh winters methinks.

Niebos's orbit will be fixed on Sunday's release.

Strangely enough I thought the temperatures were in degrees C. That's my own fault haha. I'll fix that, too.

I'm glad you're enjoying the mod!

29 minutes ago, Plummet said:

HI - this planet pack looks great. Currently sat on Olemut deciding where to go next..

Sorry if this has been asked before, but has anyone made a dV map?

Plummet.

Thank you!

Nobody has a dV map as of yet. In the next update which is tomorrow, Niebos will have a slight orbital shift (nothing major, but if anyone is on a tight fuel limit, be warned).

I would love to create/see a dV map in the future, but I don't think i'll do that until i'm sure the orbits won't change!

9 hours ago, Gamel0rd1 said:

Niebos's orbit will be fixed on Sunday's release.

Strangely enough I thought the temperatures were in degrees C. That's my own fault haha. I'll fix that, too.

I'm glad you're enjoying the mod!

Awesome! and yeah, I'm really enjoying it! Hard to remember to play the game, I keep staring at the lovely planets! Mission plans all over the place :D

12 minutes ago, nascarlaser1 said:

is there a way to make this compatible with KER (for the delta-v calculations) and Scansat (for looking for those easter eggs)?

EDIT: just saw that delta-v calculations are subject to change

Kerbal Engineer will calculate thrust-weight ratio on different planetary bodies just fine. I'd say, take a Duna rocket to Niebos. Take a Dres rocket to Olu'um, and some monstrosity for Scorch!

And I don't think there's a way to find easter eggs using ScanSat. I don't think i can even choose where easter eggs are. I hope that one day there's a mod that would let me do such a thing!

Edited by Gamel0rd1

1 hour ago, Gamel0rd1 said:

Kerbal Engineer will calculate thrust-weight ratio on different planetary bodies just fine. I'd say, take a Duna rocket to Niebos. Take a Dres rocket to Olu'um, and some monstrosity for Scorch!

And I don't think there's a way to find easter eggs using ScanSat. I don't think i can even choose where easter eggs are. I hope that one day there's a mod that would let me do such a thing!

are the easter eggs stationary, like the monoliths? if so I'm sure there's a way to do it similar to how SCANsat does it. if the Easter eggs move/spawn randomly in a save, then it probably isn't possible.

14 minutes ago, nascarlaser1 said:

are the easter eggs stationary, like the monoliths? if so I'm sure there's a way to do it similar to how SCANsat does it. if the Easter eggs move/spawn randomly in a save, then it probably isn't possible.

You can't add monoliths to planets, it's a limitation of Kopernicus.

I can create heightmap / colormap easter eggs, like a smiley face slightly elevated, like the one on ______

If I can add ScanSAT to that, that would be awesome if you know how to!

Edited by Gamel0rd1

8 minutes ago, Galileo said:

Yes you can. :wink: Any anomalies in the stock game can be added

Ahhh sniped by Galileo!

I was told otherwise. If you have the time, would you be able to tell me how? I'd love to add monoliths onto the planets, even if they're just the stock ones!

7 minutes ago, Galileo said:

You just need to know what pqsmods to delete and which ones to keep in the planet template. This is a planet in GPP with a Vall template

5mCSwz4.png

Ah, so you can't move them around, just form the planet around existing ones? So if I keep the anomaly PQSMOD that means I can go to the monolith's coordinates on the new planet and it should be there? This requires extensive testing!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.