Making a rocket to beat all other rockets

alpha tech

1 minute ago, munlander1 said:

So I would start looking at materials you want to build your rocket with and get them. Then get a design ready. And then build your rocket. Where do you plan to launch it?

cool so what do i need

up at the shop

Edited by alpha tech

7 minutes ago, alpha tech said:

cool so what do i need

up at the shop

Balsa or bass word for fins. I don't know what you could use for a nosecone. I think you could use thin pvc for the body but it depends. 

I recommend using stuff made for rockets though.

Look Here. Go to the accessories tab and look in there. Have to go to the rocket tab first.

Edited by munlander1

On 02/21/2017 at 1:05 PM, Steel said:

You'll have to think quite carefully about how to do thrust vectoring, trying to make movable fins that don't melt is a challenge to say the least.

Using engine vectoring

21 hours ago, munlander1 said:

Balsa or bass word for fins. I don't know what you could use for a nosecone. I think you could use thin pvc for the body but it depends. 

I recommend using stuff made for rockets though.

Look Here. Go to the accessories tab and look in there. Have to go to the rocket tab first.

What do I use for a separation charge

6 minutes ago, alpha tech said:

Using engine vectoring

I'm probably going to regret jumping back into this, but what sort of engine vectoring are you planning to use?

Edited by Steel

23 minutes ago, alpha tech said:

Parachute and engine saver

That has a few problems. Might explain it later.

23 minutes ago, alpha tech said:

For Delta v how do you do the natural logarithm for dv=Ve * ln *(m0/m1)

What do you mean? Are you trying to solve it? If that's it then you just substitute the values. I don't know the symbols being used though. I think @Snark could break it down. 

50 minutes ago, alpha tech said:

For Delta v how do you do the natural logarithm for dv=Ve * ln *(m0/m1)

You do the natural logarithm by pressing the "ln" key on your scientific calculator.

If you happen not to own a scientific calculator, you can download some pretty good scientific calculator apps for your smartphone, for free.

48 minutes ago, Snark said:

If you happen not to own a scientific calculator, you can download some pretty good scientific calculator apps for your smartphone, for free.

...or perhaps start out with some projects that don't require a scientific calculator, just to build up some experience.

Insight to OP : Would you mind to document the current state of your project ?

This is like giving directions to New York from Los Angeles but you have no idea where in between the person is currently. (and that most of this forum's users have never really experienced new york yet, so please be advised we have no precise idea what's ahead either.)

14 hours ago, YNM said:

This is like giving directions to New York from Los Angeles but you have no idea where in between the person is currently. (and that most of this forum's users have never really experienced new york yet, so please be advised we have no precise idea what's ahead either.)

To continue your analogy, he'll turn out to be someplace in western Alaska, walking in circles.

I've been folowing this thread from the begining and avoided joining in, but can't stand by idly any longer while this kid proceeds to kill himself and possibly others.

Look at all the talk about melting junk and making high grade alloys from tin cans and camper vans. OP clearly has zero knowledge about metalurgy and has no chance of casting anything half decent in his back yard. Even if he manages to reach high enough temperatures to melt steel, casting it without getting a useless lump of sponge is not trivial.

OP has not demonstrated any knowledge regarding actual engines and chemistry involved. I would not put his capability beyond sugar rockets, and we all know he's not getting to orbit with that. He might burn his house down while attempting to make dangerously large batches.

His arrogant stance towards event the most rudimemtary safety procedures is deeply troubling. Honestly, I'm surprized mods haven't locked this when OP demonstrated such disregard and foolhardiness.

This endeavour is nowhere near his reach, and all the information you guys provide him with only put him and others in more danger. He hasn't shown a single skill or piece of knowledge needed for making even a small model rocket, let alone a multistage, liquid fuel orbital one.

Do you really think this is serious ? You guys struggle to help but only get half sentences without much information about what's going on in detail on op's side. The tin can part doesn't really stimulate the confidence.

Op: no offense, but how about trying a solid fuel driven vapour machine, but don't make your own solid fuel yet. If you get cylinder, tubes and boiler pressure tight without changing the room climate too much you will be better than i once was :-).

Skills/tools needed: working with soft metal (copper, mild steel), saws, files, borers, bend tubes without breaking (hehe), soldering (not necessarily welding). Screw things together so that vibrations don't loosen them ("after 'tight' comes 'off' !"). Lubrication, valve and a pressure gauge (you buy can these with the right pressure range), and, if it runs and you're still at it, a transmission line with all sorts off stuff that rings, hammers, moves and makes sounds ...

;-)

Edit: i mean a small one, boiler bottle size (don't use a tin can, it won't stand the heat of the fire of several hundred degrees !), not industrial-age size  :-)

Edited by Green Baron

I have been away from this thread for a while due to not having some materials that I still haven't got yet but for the test rockets

what does the inner tube need to be made of so it can withstand the heat and pressure of the solid fuel

and I need an ejection charge and decide on the fuel to use r candy, aluminum powder. unknown mixture

and I need parachute protection from the ejection charge

the fire brick Is becoming a challenge to find cause I want a certain type of it aluminum silicate King of random

@munlander1 you know that arc welder king of random built with the transformers well I kind of broke the paper with the clamp on one of the transformers on the coil he wanted to save and replace the other with the other gauge wire is there any way I can make another one or need a new transformer cause I need this to build my furnace and the water thing that varies the amps can I use a variable resistor or do I need the varied thing that he made

Just now, alpha tech said:

I have been away from this thread for a while due to not having some materials that I still haven't got yet but for the test rockets

what does the inner tube need to be made of so it can withstand the heat and pressure of the solid fuel

and I need an ejection charge and decide on the fuel to use r candy, aluminum powder. unknown mixture

and I need parachute protection from the ejection charge

the fire brick Is becoming a challenge to find cause I want a certain type of it aluminum silicate King of random

@munlander1 you know that arc welder king of random built with the transformers well I kind of broke the paper with the clamp on one of the transformers on the coil he wanted to save and replace the other with the other gauge wire is there any way I can make another one or need a new transformer cause I need this to build my furnace and the water thing that varies the amps can I use a variable resistor or do I need the varied thing that he made

Just a word of caution - King of Random designs and builds stuff to more-or-less work a handful of times and to look and act impressive on YouTube.   He's not actually a DIYer and doesn't build things to DIY maker standards.

1 hour ago, alpha tech said:

For small scale model rocketry, cardboard. I would but regular motors then just repack them when you use them.

I need an ejection charge

Gun powder

decide on the fuel to use r candy, aluminum powder. unknown mixture

R candy

I need parachute protection from the ejection charge

They sell wadding just for this.

54 minutes ago, DerekL1963 said:

King of Random designs and builds stuff to more-or-less work a handful of times and to look and act impressive on YouTube.

Could not agree more. I suggest buying a furnace and a welding torch. It's much safer.

1 minute ago, munlander1 said:

For small scale model rocketry, cardboard. I would but regular motors then just repack them when you use them.

Gun powder

R candy

They sell wadding just for this.

Could not agree more. I suggest buying a furnace and a welding torch. It's much safer.

I have a torch need furnace and how to make rocket candy

need furnace

I would buy one.

how to make rocket candy

The one where the king of random makes it is pretty good. The one where he does not cook it.

You still need to prove green baron wrong though.

Edited by munlander1

On March 1, 2017 at 10:46 AM, YNM said:

Would you mind to document the current state of your project ?

This would be helpful.

On March 2, 2017 at 1:48 AM, Shpaget said:

OP has not demonstrated any knowledge regarding actual engines and chemistry involved

Agreed.

burn his house down while attempting to make dangerously large batches

I would not doubt it.

His arrogant stance towards event the most rudimemtary safety procedures is deeply troubling.

It has decreased some. I think he does realize the risks now.

This endeavour is nowhere near his reach

Currently? Agreed.

@alpha tech I think you need to get some model rocket kits. Go to a store that sells motors and rockets. There are online options but shipping motors comes at a greater cost. I think that building a rocket from scratch would put you and others at a potential risk.

Buy motors of the right size, and start with the recommended sizes (it might be able to use a c6-7, but it recommends a a8-4 for first flight.)

Do some heavy research into this stuff. Reading articles then composing a brief summery. I think you are significantly farther behind then I thought you where.

One of the problems with your endeavors into this is the lack of documentation. If you told us what you planned to do much more in depth, it would help ( i.e. I gonna make a wheel vs. I am going to make a mold of a wheel  using chemical x (that's nothing more than an example) to construct a mold, then I going to remove the wheel and pour iron into the mold. After that, I will polish it using these things. You can tell what I am doing more in a step by step way.) I mean, take a look at the raging sandwich's Thread. He has provided pictures and schematics. Though his are rudimentary 

I also think you should join a rocketry forum online. Those guys know a lot more then most of the people in this thread when it comes to model rocketry. 

Edited by munlander1

OK for one thing.  I live in oconee cout the nearest rocket store is Anderson and that is a long way from where I live so I am going to try to build my own but I need a mixture with a high ISP and a low burn rate and I need one where I can test ideas on and a proto type. The first one that I am building is going to help determine fuel mixture. Now I have a concept and I want to ask your opinions on it if I bring the thrust chamber to a fine point and expand it for the gas will it produce a higher thrust. And I also need a list of fuels that I could try and mix different than kno3 and sugar. 

Also is not that I don't care about safety it's just that if it comes to my attention that something is dangerous I will take precautions

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.