Thread to complain bout stuff

Spacetraindriver

3 minutes ago, WinkAllKerb'' said:

just gonna say that as i have been a few month without seein any world news, stuck at home, avoiding news kind of pop up , adds and whatever of that kind and all,

and well restarted to watch a littl' since a week or so, because spent a few hours per days with some family, and they have a radio and/or tv turned on, and it's a bit depressing after not seein any news for long ...

Yeah, I have to admit, going 5 days with no power after Irma did have that one advantage, no television for 5 days... just me and my book collection. That part was nice... :)

i think i m really the kind of person that should build a boat, set a fisher rod and go build a cabane @ st paul near the artic circle ... even if may die of cold or a poisonous fish quickly ... i tend sometime to think it might be better to struglle there than watchin' all the crap here on earth

Edited by WinkAllKerb''

47 minutes ago, WinkAllKerb'' said:

i think i m really the kind of person that should build a boat, set a fisher rod and go build a cabane @ st paul near the artic circle ... even if may die of cold or a poisonous fish quickly ... i tend sometime to think it might be better to struglle there than watchin' all the crap here

yeah, I miss back when I lived up north.... and I suppose I can complain about this and keep it on-topic... lol.

Back about 20 years ago, I lived on a hill in upstate NY, quite literally in the middle of no-where, and could wander the woods all day and get away from the world whenever I wanted.

I have no place down here in Florida I can escape like that.

But on the other end of the spectrum, I didn't have the internet back then, nor all the friends I now have around the world, like we have here on the forum. 

Brings the Adirondacks to mind. Are you a 46er?

No, although I've been to a few... but no-where near all of them :)

I'm original from the Binghamton area... which is southern NY, but still considered upstate (weird as it seems)

I'll use this as my complaint for the thread... Man, I miss those mountains!!! Florida is too flat! :(

Edited by Just Jim

Florida is too flat! :(

That drove me crazy when I moved there. Where I grew up I would wake up and see mountains out my bedroom window, walk to the other side of the house and see the other mountain range on the other side of the valley out of the kitchen windows while I was eating breakfast. I moved to Florida and there was nothing at all. Florida is so flat, if they dig a ditch and heap the dirt in one place, someone will come along and name the heap.

That drove me crazy when I moved there. Where I grew up I would wake up and see mountains out my bedroom window, walk to the other side of the house and see the other mountain range on the other side of the valley out of the kitchen windows while I was eating breakfast. I moved to Florida and there was nothing at all. Florida is so flat, if they dig a ditch and heap the dirt in one place, someone will come along and name the heap.

I have a friend it worked the opposite... He lived in Florida most all his life, and when we went up to NY, the hills really made him nuts! Up around Owego he couldn't drive... he literally couldn't handle not being able to see from hill valley to hill valley, and especially going over the tops freaked him out, so I did all the driving... and just riding through the hills still made him nervous.

Florida is so flat, if they dig a ditch and heap the dirt in one place, someone will come along and name the heap.

There's a running gag that the highest point in the state is a landfill. It isn't true, (Britton Hill claims that title) but it's close enough to the truth to be disturbing. 

I grew up in Florida, and had never really been out of the state. Then I got married and we moved out to the Colorado front range. Now that was a shock. :0.0:

The mountains are very pretty, and you get used to them after a while. But I dearly miss the salt air of the ocean, and I will never adjust to the lack of humidity. My sinuses are so blocked from the dry air I can't really smell anything anymore. The sun also sets earlier because of the mountains to our west, and the days in the winter can be painfully short. . .relatively speaking, at least. 

There's a running gag that the highest point in the state is a landfill. It isn't true, (Britton Hill claims that title) but it's close enough to the truth to be disturbing. 

I grew up in Florida, and had never really been out of the state. Then I got married and we moved out to the Colorado front range. Now that was a shock. :0.0:

The mountains are very pretty, and you get used to them after a while. But I dearly miss the salt air of the ocean, and I will never adjust to the lack of humidity. My sinuses are so blocked from the dry air I can't really smell anything anymore. The sun also sets earlier because of the mountains to our west, and the days in the winter can be painfully short. . .relatively speaking, at least. 

I've always been a mountain guy. Even growing up in Southern California, never liked the beach/coast. I always wanted to go up to Angeles NF and hike, camp, fish, shoot, etc.  When we were moving out of California my wife was all, "Don't you want to go to the beach one last time?" Nope. Good riddance.

As it stands, Northern Arizona is still a little too flat for me. I keep half-joking with my wife that we're going to wind up in Western Wyoming, Idaho, or Montana. Somewhere in the Rocky Mountains.

No, although I've been to a few... but no-where near all of them :)

I'm original from the Binghamton area...

Likewise, and I know the area well. Used to live upstate a while back, Ballston Spa / Round Lake area.

There's a running gag that the highest point in the state is a landfill.

Don't laugh but I believe NJ has the (or one of the) highest man-made hills... which is actually part of the Meadowlands landfill. It grew so high that the FAA ruled on it and capped it's height because it started to become a navagational hazard for Teterboro Airport! Only in NJ.

Edited by LordFerret
clean up my post from mobile

Lol, I feel you guys

Moved from east coast, to west coast, and back (same school friends & stuff, so thats nice), but at first having hills and mountains and things kinda freaked me out, then I got used to it (and loved it), then we moved back, and the landscape is pretty much as flat as flat can be.... At least its not kansas?

Moved from east coast, to west coast, and back (same school friends & stuff, so thats nice), but at first having hills and mountains and things kinda freaked me out, then I got used to it (and loved it), then we moved back, and the landscape is pretty much as flat as flat can be.... At least its not kansas?

I remember driving through Kansas on our way out to Colorado. There was. . .nothing. End of the world levels of nothing. I remember hitting the "seek" button on the radio and. . .nothing. The poor thing just kept looping back and forth across the entire FM range without finding any signal what-so-ever. 

As it stands, Northern Arizona is still a little too flat for me. I keep half-joking with my wife that we're going to wind up in Western Wyoming, Idaho, or Montana. Somewhere in the Rocky Mountains.

We have an annual pass to Rocky Mountain National Park, and I can't say I disagree with you. The views are beyond incredible, the trails are fantastic. There were parks and hiking trails in Florida, but there was always wildlife, always sound from animals or wind or water. But there are places in the mountains where the silence has an almost physical presence, and it is something else to pause in a stand of trees and listen to absolutely nothing at all.

All told, Colorado is a great place to live. I just wish I could breathe.

I've tried various "nasal irrigation" techniques, but they don't work. I should probably have my sinuses "scrapped out", but I knew a guy who'd had the procedure done and it looked like someone hit him in the face with a shovel. Add to that the fact that the procedure is only a temporary fix and. . .well, no thanks. 

OK... time to rant on a completely different subject....

Hollywood... specifically old, classic "War Movies"

So I'm watching the 1969 classic Battle of El Alamain..  which takes place in North African during WW2...

And so far it hasn't been too bad... until about halfway through... The Italian troops are pinned down and the Brits are attacking...

Except, coming over the hill... is a squad of 5-6 M113 armored personnel carriers...

Wait... STOP!!!

I had to pause and look close... but they're 113's all right... which is what I drove in the Army, and weren't put into production until around 1960!!!

15 years after WW2 ended!!!

Oh, the pain... the pain... :mad:

Edited by Just Jim

Until the last 15 or so years, it was common for movies to use any tanks they could access and just slap WW2 paint on them. Nowadays they try to add fake parts to make functioning tanks look like the historical ones, but that is quite recent. Many of us grew up watching Patton tanks show up as Wehrmacht badguys, and that sort of thing. :)

- snip -

Oh, the pain... the pain... :mad:

That's ok, wait for the remake... it will be all CGI.

Ok, side-rant here;

What is up with the forums? I'm finding that quoting people does not show the names of those I've quoted. And, hilite-text and quote isn't working either. I thought at first it was because I was using my phone (first I've ever done that, don't like it), but now I see it's also while on my laptop. Something be borked!

What is up with the forums? I'm finding that quoting people does not show the names of those I've quoted. And, hilite-text and quote isn't working either. I thought at first it was because I was using my phone (first I've ever done that, don't like it), but now I see it's also while on my laptop. Something be borked!

Yep. They're working on it.

Until the last 15 or so years, it was common for movies to use any tanks they could access and just slap WW2 paint on them. Nowadays they try to add fake parts to make functioning tanks look like the historical ones, but that is quite recent. Many of us grew up watching Patton tanks show up as Wehrmacht badguys, and that sort of thing. :)

That applies to much more than tanks. A6M Zeroes have been portrayed by T-6 Texans pretty often...

Something be borked!

Everything be borked. This new forum solution is garbage.
It's especially borked right now, but this kind of thing has been happening regularly since it was installed.

My complaint: This forum takes forever to render on my phone, and regularly hangs my browser (on every device I own) invoking the "unresponsive script" window.
The ridiculous JavaScript editor is also stupid slow, and doesn't support BBCode properly. And it's still completely broken on mobile.

Ed. On further poking about, looks like a bunch of things are broken at the moment, including the krakens JS on the activity feed... that same lousy JS that's been hanging my browser.

Please leave it this way, it loads in a reasonable amount of time now, and the pointless fading effect and background updates have stopped hogging my CPU and bandwidth.

Dog knows how Squad managed to find forum software that performs better when it's broken, but the proof is in the seeing.

Honestly, I hope they didn't spend a ton of money on this forum software. If it was free, it was worth every penny.

AFAIK, it's not free. And several solutions spring to mind that are not only that, but better IMO.

Edited by steve_v

9 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

Yeah, I know... I see it now and then... and I don't know if anyone would have really noticed these in the grand scheme of things.  It's just this time it happened to be the very same vehicle I drove in the Army, so for me they stood out like a gigantic sore thumb... :0.0:

30 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

Yeah, I know... I see it now and then... and I don't know if anyone would have really noticed these in the grand scheme of things.  It's just this time it happened to be the very same vehicle I drove in the Army, so for me they stood out like a gigantic sore thumb... :0.0:

Ah, the old M113?

I'd love to see one of these movies do some sort of finagling with an old Gamma Goat (M561)

m561_02.jpg

2 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

Ah, the old M113?

I'd love to see one of these movies do some sort of finagling with an old Gamma Goat (M561)

m561_02.jpg

Oh, we had one of those in our platoon!!!

And to keep this on-topic, I can easily complain... the driver was insanely possessive, and never let anyone but a couple mechanics near it, so I never had a chance to drive it!!! 

Grrrr......  :mad:

On 10/3/2017 at 5:14 PM, Just Jim said:

Yeah, I have to admit, going 5 days with no power after Irma did have that one advantage, no television for 5 days... just me and my book collection. That part was nice... :)

Ah, the simple life. I have begun something new in my own life... "electronic-less Sunday" where I literally unplug from the Internet, television, and computer for a day. It truly is a good feeling.

On 10/3/2017 at 5:18 PM, WinkAllKerb'' said:

i think i m really the kind of person that should build a boat, set a fisher rod and go build a cabane @ st paul near the artic circle ... even if may die of cold or a poisonous fish quickly ... i tend sometime to think it might be better to struglle there than watchin' all the crap here on earth

I've actually thought of doing that myself. I've volunteered the entire family to move to Mars under Musk's and NASA's settler program. Things happen and I am so tired of having folks trying to interject racism, poverty, religion, and any other ism they can think of. There are times things simply... just... HAPPEN folks! What the news media is now doing with bouts of hysteria every time something happens is no different than the Inquisitions and witch trials of the Middle Ages. That whole mindset is still alive and rampant in the world... Just like in today's world, those folks wanted to blame someone for things that happened they just couldn't understand...

On 10/3/2017 at 6:10 PM, Just Jim said:

yeah, I miss back when I lived up north.... and I suppose I can complain about this and keep it on-topic... lol.

Back about 20 years ago, I lived on a hill in upstate NY, quite literally in the middle of no-where, and could wander the woods all day and get away from the world whenever I wanted.

I have no place down here in Florida I can escape like that.

But on the other end of the spectrum, I didn't have the internet back then, nor all the friends I now have around the world, like we have here on the forum. 

I cannot imagine not being able to contact the forum friends I've made since discovering the forum a while back ago. But like you, in the tri-state area, there are people everywhere. Last semester, I even made a comment to a colleague, "I see stupid people...." Yeah, in our area there are a lot of folks that simply only repeat what they've been told either by others or from the media. they don't have the ability or desire to do independent analysis and come up with their own conclusions. Case in point: earlier this semester, I was asked what I thought was the best Mexican restaurant in the area. I referred them to Los Bravos, a family owned Mexican restaurant (I've known a lot of good folk who work there, too). And the person actually told me, "I'd never eat there. I've heard they hire too many Mexicans... Their food can't be that good..." Ok, here we go... passing judgment on the quality of food of a place you've never eaten at... And not to mention the blatant racism from an "enlightened" student... yeah. People suck.

14 hours ago, Ten Key said:

I cannot imagine living in one spot longer than about six years. Right now, I have the "itch" to move and have had it for the last three. Guess that's what you get with a lifetime of being around active duty military. I've lived in North Carolina (the Piedmont region), Texas, Hawaii, Georgia, Federal Republic of Germany twice in my life (total of 8 years), Washington (Fort Lewis area), South Korea, Japan, and of course, military deployments to Turkey, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Panama... I simply do not know what it is like to call any one place home. When I moved to Henderson, Kentucky because of a job, I was informed by the lady at the courthouse, "Just because you live here doesn't mean you'll ever be from here..." Sometimes I wonder if taking the job here and moving the family was really worth it.

4 hours ago, Just Jim said:

And to keep this on-topic, I can easily complain... the driver was insanely possessive, and never let anyone but a couple mechanics near it, so I never had a chance to drive it!!! 

Hehe... After my brother finished his tours in Iraq, I guess he decided he missed his old wheels too, so he bought himself a "deuce and a half"... He took two cabs and welded them together to form an extended cab. Gotta have a place for the child seats to go! He has since decided this wasn't "big enough", and has traded it in for a five ton. On both vehicles, he removed the third axle and replaced it with an additional disc brake on the drive shaft (yeah, this originally had SIX wheels) and shortened the box, to reduce weight, and make it a little more suitable as a "grocery getter". It (conveniently) has a winch powerful enough to rip small trees out of the ground, and has an infrared illumination system that, with a monitor accessory that he is totally looking for, would in theory, make it totally possible to drive in complete darkness... I mean, if you wanted to do that...

It's probably a bit overkill, but hey! With the US government's proclivity to spend big, then scrap, these things come up for surprisingly low costs at government surplus auctions. It's certainly cheaper than building up some late 1960's Mopar muscle! :P

GroceryGetter.jpg

I've never driven it either! ;.;

Edited by richfiles
If I recall... I think it had less than 26000 miles on it too! Nothing for a Cummins diesel