Thread to complain bout stuff

Spacetraindriver

So a real complaint now... There's a movie coming out tomorrow, and I'm trying g to get advance tickets, cause so far, only 4 seats are reserved, and my favorite seat of the place is open... For now...

ALL NIGHT... Their credit card processing has been down, and is still down. Worse, Is I'm about to go to work, where I KNOW I'm gonna get slammed with about 66% more work, on top of a normal (busy) day of work... I'll be lucky to get out of work 2 hours before it actually starts. At that point, i'm just rushing down in hopes of even GETTING a seat that's decent. :mad:

If the credit card processing were working, I could just be done with it in 10 seconds!

Just now, Just Jim said:

Wow... that is amazingly beautiful overkill! Almost Mad-Maxish... :cool:

He totally wants me to find a way to produce a "close enough" rendition of "The Horn" from Fury Road... :D
I told him it was a composite of several sounds, done in software... I don't know how many horns that would even take, much less the legality of it! :sticktongue:

12 minutes ago, richfiles said:

It's probably a bit overkill, but hey! With the US government's proclivity to spend big, then scrap, these things come up for surprisingly low costs at government surplus auctions. It's certainly cheaper than building up some late 1960's Mopar muscle!

I'm thinking about when I buy my five acres of land... buying a 5 ton - just because I "need" one... :D

In what world does it make sense for a printer, when requested to make two copies of a document, to print them on the front and back of the same sheet?? It's not a two-page document, it's two goddamn copies. What are people supposed to do, grab the sheet vertically between them and read from either side? :mad: 

3 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

Ah, the old M113?

I'd love to see one of these movies do some sort of finagling with an old Gamma Goat (M561)

m561_02.jpg

When I was a kid my father worked as a supply sergeant for the California National Guard. My brother and I used to go play out in the motor pool all the time. Gamma Goats were one of our favorite jungle gyms. At one point they had a M113 that had been brought in from Ft. Irwin to train the mechanics on. They made the mistake of leaving the top hatch open, so my brother and I were climbing all over the inside of it. My brother is all, "Hey, what does this lever do?" SLAM! He dropped the ramp. We got in so much trouble. Especially since the engine was in pieces at that point, so they had no way to power it up and raise it.

Ah, the simple life. I have begun something new in my own life... "electronic-less Sunday" where I literally unplug from the Internet, television, and computer for a day. It truly is a good feeling.

We went for a month without video games, and a week vacation with no screens at all this summer. My kids were whining for about the first day, but they got into it after a while. It was refreshing. We need to do that more often.

Case in point: earlier this semester, I was asked what I thought was the best Mexican restaurant in the area. I referred them to Los Bravos, a family owned Mexican restaurant (I've known a lot of good folk who work there, too). And the person actually told me, "I'd never eat there. I've heard they hire too many Mexicans... Their food can't be that good..." Ok, here we go... passing judgment on the quality of food of a place you've never eaten at... And not to mention the blatant racism from an "enlightened" student... yeah. People suck.

They want the best Mexican food...from a place that doesn't hire Mexicans? Who do they think makes the best Mexican food? Koreans? Swedes? Englishmen?

I cannot imagine living in one spot longer than about six years. Right now, I have the "itch" to move and have had it for the last three. Guess that's what you get with a lifetime of being around active duty military. I've lived in North Carolina (the Piedmont region), Texas, Hawaii, Georgia, Federal Republic of Germany twice in my life (total of 8 years), Washington (Fort Lewis area), South Korea, Japan, and of course, military deployments to Turkey, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Panama... I simply do not know what it is like to call any one place home. When I moved to Henderson, Kentucky because of a job, I was informed by the lady at the courthouse, "Just because you live here doesn't mean you'll ever be from here..." Sometimes I wonder if taking the job here and moving the family was really worth it.

I'm the same way. As of this June, I've been in this house longer than any house I've been in since I left home at 18. And I've been at this job longer than any I've ever been in my entire life. (It surpassed the six years I spent in Uncle Sam's Canoe Club.) It sucks because this job has fantastic benefits, I get tons of time off, I have a real honest-to-God pension! But, the wanderlust is calling....

1 hour ago, NSEP said:

I like how SpaceX BFR just barely hits headlines but a famous controversial person who throws a paper towel roll is like super important nowadays.

I'm so glad I have no idea what you're talking about now.

Guess what? For HPE this term, we're doing an 'Aquathon' (swimming and running in a race). I'm not a very good swimmer, but that isn't the point. The point is that at my old school, we had swimming lessons every single week, for all four terms. In summer, it was nice (as you got to cool off in the heat), but in autumn and winter, it was freezing (as they didn't use a heater to save money). So for every week for four terms, for seven years, I had to do swimming. I thought at high school that we didn't do swimming, but I was wrong. I had to do it on a weekly basis, for seven years, and now I have to do it again. Although it's only four weeks (four for running, four for swimming since it's an eight week term), we have HPE 2-3 times a week.

So what should I do? Should I say that I'm allergic to chlorine? Should I simply 'forget' my swimming gear (and get a stamp in my diary, and for every three stamps, get a detention)? Should I not turn up at all? Please help!

10 hours ago, Just Jim said:

..... the driver was insanely possessive, and never let anyone but a couple mechanics near it, so I never had a chance to drive it!!! 

Grrrr......  :mad:

Such is the way with the really good toys! :wink:

10 hours ago, richfiles said:

... drive in complete darkness... I mean, if you wanted to do that...

Many many moons ago in my youth, that was kind of a rite of passage... no headlights on, driving the moonlit backwoods dirt roads of northern NJ. It was the stuff of 'dog dares'.

10 minutes ago, LordFerret said:

Many many moons ago in my youth, that was kind of a rite of passage... no headlights on, driving the moonlit backwoods dirt roads of northern NJ. It was the stuff of 'dog dares'.

Oh, I had to do a couple of "blackout" drives in the army... and I honestly couldn't see squat! Quite scary... enough you almost wished someone would pop off a flare, just so you could see the vehicle in front of you. Not something I ever want to do again. :P

*sigh* Telescope is jacked up.... :mad:

First indication of problem: 

That doesn`t look right......

gMKww6v.jpg

(theres no teeth in that little gap, not good)

YOReo49.jpg

The little gear rides on a teethed track.... uber grumble

MTKRkI1.jpg

You can kinda see where its stuck, it should be straight.... But its really in there (where the tube and the pyramid hole thingie meet,)

One part of me wants to smack it with a hammer until it get unstuck, the other (larger) part wants to be.... Not quite as kerbal....

UGH

20 hours ago, monstah said:

In what world does it make sense for a printer, when requested to make two copies of a document, to print them on the front and back of the same sheet?? It's not a two-page document, it's two goddamn copies. What are people supposed to do, grab the sheet vertically between them and read from either side? :mad: 

Presumably one simply tears it in half down the middle :wink:

14 hours ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

Guess what? For HPE this term, we're doing an 'Aquathon' (swimming and running in a race). I'm not a very good swimmer, but that isn't the point. The point is that at my old school, we had swimming lessons every single week, for all four terms. In summer, it was nice (as you got to cool off in the heat), but in autumn and winter, it was freezing (as they didn't use a heater to save money). So for every week for four terms, for seven years, I had to do swimming. I thought at high school that we didn't do swimming, but I was wrong. I had to do it on a weekly basis, for seven years, and now I have to do it again. Although it's only four weeks (four for running, four for swimming since it's an eight week term), we have HPE 2-3 times a week.

So what should I do? Should I say that I'm allergic to chlorine? Should I simply 'forget' my swimming gear (and get a stamp in my diary, and for every three stamps, get a detention)? Should I not turn up at all? Please help!

Sorry bud, without any further justification (like an actual allergy or a heart condition or somesuch) best thing to do is suck it up and swim, its good for you. Not just the excersize, being put out of your comfort zone is good for you.

18 hours ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

As a "Professional liar" i would recommend you a headache.

No, seriously, if you really, really, really don't want to do the swim nor, the race, just say you have a migraine or something.

But the best way out is to do the swim or the run, it is your life expereince! Maybe you will win! And maybe the teacher will think good of you if you will participate and welcome the competition!

Choose your future

17 hours ago, RoadRunnerAerospace said:

*sigh* Telescope is jacked up.... :mad:

First indication of problem: 

That doesn`t look right......

gMKww6v.jpg

(theres no teeth in that little gap, not good)

YOReo49.jpg

The little gear rides on a teethed track.... uber grumble

MTKRkI1.jpg

You can kinda see where its stuck, it should be straight.... But its really in there (where the tube and the pyramid hole thingie meet,)

One part of me wants to smack it with a hammer until it get unstuck, the other (larger) part wants to be.... Not quite as kerbal....

UGH

Is that a Celestron Astromaster? I have one almost exactly like it. 

30 minutes ago, monstah said:

Thanks, Calvin's dad.

I realise I could have been more inspiring, but I only have a limited amount of motivational speeches per day and I spend most of them on myself, but I suppose Calvin's Dad has it pretty goin' on so actually I'll call it a win :)

13 hours ago, cratercracker said:

But the best way out is to do the swim or the run, it is your life expereince! Maybe you will win! And maybe the teacher will think good of you if you will participate and welcome the competition!

I've had to do swimming for seven years straight at my old school. And it isn't like a one off event, it's a sports class, and we have HPE roughly 2-3 times a week.

since a few days i have a quasi perma vaccum cleaner sound when awake in my head .... a tad bit annoyin ... like if treble tinnitus weren't enough ... now come the vaccum cleaner sound top of them ...

keep smile they said ... yup ... may be

Edited by WinkAllKerb''

11 hours ago, WinkAllKerb'' said:

since a few days i have a quasi perma vaccum cleaner sound when awake in my head .... a tad bit annoyin ... like if treble tinnitus weren't enough ... now come the vaccum cleaner sound top of them ...

Yeah, that's what it sounds like... except mine is running in a tunnel. Sounds like we both need some good antibiotics. I actually used all the ear drops we had at home (neomyicin - didn't help) Noise is so bad it even makes hearing myself and the rest of our band and we get told to turn it down all the time. Had it almost a month. 

18 hours ago, Red Shirt said:

Yeah, that's what it sounds like... except mine is running in a tunnel. Sounds like we both need some good antibiotics. I actually used all the ear drops we had at home (neomyicin - didn't help) Noise is so bad it even makes hearing myself and the rest of our band and we get told to turn it down all the time. Had it almost a month. 

On 10/9/2017 at 5:41 AM, WinkAllKerb'' said:

Obviously take pharmacological advice from a stranger on the internet cautiously, but what is really good for that is if you can find a decongestant nasal spray, as it effectively acts on all of the passages in your head, including the ones connecting your ears to your throat. Your ear cavities are probably filled with mucuous from whatever head-cold/infection you might have and it takes a long time to be eliminated on its own.

I get terrible blocked face-passages when Im down, had the ear thing a coupla times, the spray is about the only thing that does anything.