Mission Idea: Emulating Real Life in Kerbal Space Program [WIP] [Submit a Payload] [Become a Launch or Payload Provider]

10 hours ago, StupidAndy said:

@Abastro, sorry but your rocket doesn't cut it, it cant lift the probe high enough, and since my probe has overestimated DV it needs lots of lifting capacity for a high orbit, your rocket may lift it to keostationary transfer but we need keostationary orbit so we can use the probes fuel to lift the periapsis as far away from the magnetosphere as possible, if you can edit the rocket so that you can get it to keostationary orbit you can be entered into the negotiations, if they aren't done

and I still have another one that is going out of the SOI (different one I still have to build) so if your rocket can get it to escape velocity you can try to get the contract!

Why can't you burn from the periapsis, to escape the SOI? At least it will guarantee higher orbit than

By the way, I can get 0.85t~0.9t to Mun transfer orbit, so gravity assist is possible. Escaping the SOI is possible with it as well.

I'd test how far it can go with the payload.

11 hours ago, Abastro said:

Why can't you burn from the periapsis, to escape the SOI? At least it will guarantee higher orbit than

By the way, I can get 0.85t~0.9t to Mun transfer orbit, so gravity assist is possible. Escaping the SOI is possible with it as well.

I'd test how far it can go with the payload.

the one right now doesn't have to go out of the SOI

1 minute ago, Abastro said:

Mun Flyby also can circularize the orbit.

Also higher orbit needs less dv to circularize as well.

I was thinking about that munar flyby, how much DV does your upper stage have after orbital circularization?

This is fine, right? @TheEpicSquared (Holding payload in front of fairing)

WuOdGDW.png

Then,

2 hours ago, StupidAndy said:

I was thinking about that munar flyby, how much DV does your upper stage have after orbital circularization?

I have over 940m/s on LKO. But I recommend using your probe to do some correction burns, as I want my second stage to return. I'll just get you to just before mun encounter in this case.

(Also SOI escape is easy to get accidentally from there)

owCHnmV.png

+ Actual Mun Encounter

ZY7DgH9.png

BTB4pQo.png

Second stage recovery is perfectly feasible here:

wgsA32p.png

Edited by Reusables

2 minutes ago, Abastro said:

I have over 940m/s on LKO. But I recommend using your probe to do some correction burns, as I want my second stage to return. I'll just get you to just before mun encounter in this case.

(Also SOI escape is easy to get accidentally from there)

the problem is that the probe has to go so high that it is going to be very hard to get the second stage back to Kerbin, and its only the second stage, SpaceX isn't reusing the second stage yet. or it could be like EchoStar 23 where the rocket was disposed of at the end...

I should start on the second probe before we get a CME...

13 minutes ago, StupidAndy said:

the problem is that the probe has to go so high that it is going to be very hard to get the second stage back to Kerbin, and its only the second stage, SpaceX isn't reusing the second stage yet. or it could be like EchoStar 23 where the rocket was disposed of at the end...

I should start on the second probe before we get a CME...

You can adjust your orbit, right? Look at the image, if you have nearly 100m/s of dv you can get higher to minmus orbit.

Also I can recover my second stage, it's perfectly feasible if both Dangit failure does not strike too early. Look at the image.

Or do you want it to be separated after it reaches the orbit you want?

Edited by Reusables

9 minutes ago, Abastro said:

You can adjust your orbit, right? Look at the image, if you have nearly 100m/s of dv you can get higher to minmus orbit.

Also I can recover my second stage, it's perfectly feasible if both Dangit failure does not strike too early. Look at the image.

Or do you want it to be separated after it reaches the orbit you want?

I want the probe to be a bit higher then Keostationary orbit, while under the mun's orbit, so it spends a little time in the magnetosphere, I might do a third probe for between minmus's orbit.

if you can get it so the monoprop engine does the final burn that isn't a problem, I just need the probe in the orbit for the study, how you get it there I don't care

1 minute ago, StupidAndy said:

I want the probe to be a bit higher then Keostationary orbit, while under the mun's orbit, so it spends a little time in the magnetosphere, I might do a third probe for between minmus's orbit.

if you can get it so the monoprop engine does the final burn that isn't a problem, I just need the probe in the orbit for the study, how you get it there I don't care

Of course you can get there with my lfiter as well, if you are okay with inclination. For that just skimming mun SOI may be okay.

Edited by Reusables

Just now, Abastro said:

Of course you can get that as well, if you are okay with inclination. For that just skimming mun SOI may be okay.

the problem with skimming the SOI is that it might change the orbit enough that it will encounter the mun again and send it out of the SOI, so it should be just under the mun's SOI

5 minutes ago, StupidAndy said:

the problem with skimming the SOI is that it might change the orbit enough that it will encounter the mun again and send it out of the SOI, so it should be just under the mun's SOI

Yes, the correction burn doesn't cost lots of dv. I'll show you how to get those orbit.

Just now, Abastro said:

Yes, the correction burn doesn't cost lots of dv. I'll show you how to get those orbit.

I know, they are around 9.5 average for me to get to minmus's orbit, and that's around 200000m so it might be even less in further orbits.

maybe 2.5? I don't know, i haven't done one there, only to Minmus, but still, if it gets out of the magnetosphere its fine (well not fine, but still) I don't really care about inclination

12 minutes ago, StupidAndy said:

I know, they are around 9.5 average for me to get to minmus's orbit, and that's around 200000m so it might be even less in further orbits.

maybe 2.5? I don't know, i haven't done one there, only to Minmus, but still, if it gets out of the magnetosphere its fine (well not fine, but still) I don't really care about inclination

What about something like this? If your sat has 250m/s of dv.

4st7td8.png

PRJttWA.png

iEchwPB.png

By the way, mun has really huge SOI..

EDIT: Got a better one:

Mun magic!

Edited by Reusables

38 minutes ago, Abastro said:

What about something like this? If your sat has 250m/s of dv.

4st7td8.png

PRJttWA.png

iEchwPB.png

By the way, mun has really huge SOI..

EDIT: Got a better one:

Mun magic!

that looks good, but can you get a picture compared to the magnetosphere? press b and the menu will come up for the magnetosphere showing settings

28 minutes ago, StupidAndy said:

that looks good, but can you get a picture compared to the magnetosphere? press b and the menu will come up for the magnetosphere showing settings

Sorry, I'll be offline for a day from now on. But that's orbit just under mun SOI, so it should be the best one under the mun orbit.

Quick question for PPs: would anyone be interested in a lifter whose final stage could act as a service module for their payload, where the stage will have the power generation and storage, RCS, and propulsion, and stay attached to the payload, while the payload is mostly equipment required for the specific mission?

2 hours ago, 53miner53 said:

Quick question for PPs: would anyone be interested in a lifter whose final stage could act as a service module for their payload, where the stage will have the power generation and storage, RCS, and propulsion, and stay attached to the payload, while the payload is mostly equipment required for the specific mission?

If I become a PP, most definitely!

1 hour ago, HobbitJack said:

How could I become a Payload Provider?

Also what KSP version?

Thanks in advance.

1: have a payload ready for the LP to compete for launching rights

2: 1.2.2

1 hour ago, HobbitJack said:

If I become a PP, most definitely!

55 minutes ago, HobbitJack said:

As soon as I become a PP, I have a relay ready!

great! there's a submission thread for submitting satellites and rockets here

put in payload name, payload Length, Width, Height, and Mass, orbit parameters and so on, look at other posts for more info and examples of submissions

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.