I think KSP could be the next minecraft

Cooly568

This thread had 2 reasons.

One, what similarities do you think KSP has to minecraft, and or, what does KSP beat minecraft in.

Two, do you think it's time for physical KSP merchandise? I sure think so.

I really think KSP could be as popular as minecraft. I think KSP could easily reach 1 million sells by the end 2013.

I'm not so sure about this. Minecraft is a simple game that anyone can easily pick and play whereas KSP is more of a simulator that involves a much higher degree of difficulty, for example learning all the parts, how they would fit together to create a successful rocket, and basic orbital maneuvers. It's not that I don't think KSP will be popular, I think it'll definitely be a pretty big game eventually but not on the same level as Minecraft, due to its gameplay catering to gamers of all ages.

I'm not so sure about this. Minecraft is a simple game that anyone can easily pick and play whereas KSP is more of a simulator that involves a much higher degree of difficulty, for example learning all the parts, how they would fit together to create a successful rocket, and basic orbital maneuvers. It's not that I don't think KSP will be popular, I think it'll definitely be a pretty big game eventually but not on the same level as Minecraft, due to its gameplay catering to gamers of all ages.

Yeah. I'm glad KSP wont to that. I want KSP to be popular, but I don't want every immature 12 year old to know about it.

I wouldnt compare minecraft to this way more superior game :)

Minecraft has multiplayer, it can afford to have less stimulating gameplay and let the social aspect keep it entertaining.

*But yeah, generally speaking, multiplayer games are a lot more popular. The Minecraft forums have had over twice as many people online at the same time as KSPs forums have total users.

Edited by Naiba

I honestly don't think so, minecraft is a casual game that applies to all audiences, whilst KSP is much more specific ands requires a lot more skill and knowledge to play.

But, if the game does become more popular i suppose it would be a good thing, seeing how the devs could hire more deves and haul out updates at a weekly basis, but it might take a turn for the worse, like minecraft did, meaning the devs takes a permanent vacation and lets one single guy do all the developing

1. They are not the same type of game, or anywhere close besides both are "indie" games. They don't compete so one doesn't beat the other. Its not fair to either game to try to compare them really.

2. I'd buy me some Kerbal stuff.

I'd rather it not become that. I agree with Nutt007! I'd it be popular like a cult classic movie, people like it and kids are not MASSIVELY involved. I don't mind kids playing of course though.

I have to disagree, I want kids getting excited about space travel, learning the basic science behind putting things in orbit, wondering "How would I have done that?" when they see things like the Curiosity landings.

When I meet my little cousin, I want to be embarrassed because his rockets are more efficient than mine or that he has a working satelite network and I don't rather than seeing him fling birds at pigs.

I've personally always compared KSP to Dwarf Fortress in terms of popularity, since they DO have some similarities (not too popular, quite difficult to play effectively, well-spoken and tight playerbase).

As for KSP merchandise, that would be great. Maybe a Kerbal or a Command Pod Mk.1 keychain.

Unrelatedly, hooray for me joining the forums, moving on.

I'd rather it not become that. I agree with Nutt007! I'd it be popular like a cult classic movie, people like it and kids are not MASSIVELY involved. I don't mind kids playing of course though.

You'd actually be quite surprised about what fraction of the Kerbal Space Program community could be classed as 'Kids'. Kerbal Space Program is fairly accessible to many people, and is surprisingly easy to learn.

• 8 months later...

Minecraft is a Lego set. KSP is an erector set. They're both toys for building things, and both have been around for a long time. But, one's an open-ended system where you can build pretty much whatever you want, without any need to worry about realism, and where you can't really "fail", per se; the other's a system where you can accomplish all kinds of neat things, but your designs have to make a bit more sense and the rules of how everything fits together have basically been provided for you by the product's creators.

Now, KSP will never be as accessible to the average person as Minecraft is, but that doesn't mean it can't be successful. What they have in common is that they both show that you can make a successful sandbox game that focuses more on gameplay than ultra-realistic aesthetics, with a fairly cheap price tag, and without dumbing things down for the typical gamer. But beyond that, no, this won't be the next Minecraft; one doesn't replace the other.

I would really stay away from comparing those 2.

Minecraft would be the awesome game that lost its potential thanks to the fans and broken promises, and lately, by taking mods and converting them into "official content" without even giving credit and, from that point, it devolved into another "adventure game", with the exception that you can build your own house, or go full creative and do whatever you want with blocks, which gets boring after a while. On top of that, it even got dumbed down for the retarded "I'M SUCH A GAMURR" fan.

KSP is still in the awesome game with loads of potential phase. To make it comparable with minecraft, then there should be a point in which devs get tired of making their own game and started accepting suggestion from everyone or converting mods into official content without even thinking about the rest of the game. And of course, the retarded fanbase.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.