SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

6 minutes ago, tater said:

If the static fires go ok, I’d expect them to fly it ASAP after that.

This. The same old jokes get tossed around, but we’re down to the scale of weeks now, not months. The hardware is built, been tested as much as it can, the launch pad is free, and there are few mods left to make to it. Once we see it out the door I think things will move very quickly, SpaceX needs them to, especially if their confidence is as lacking as Musk has implied. 

Personally, I don’t think it is. I think the first launch will be a spectacular success, but there’s a nonzero chance that it won’t be, so they’re aiming for low expectations. As long as there are no issues elsewhere (cough “fairing issue” cough) and the static fire goes off as planned this month, I think the launch will follow next. Like he’s said, there’s only so much you can test on the ground and they know a lot about how the Falcon series behaves at this point, especially with all of those nice intact data points they’ve recovered. 

2 hours ago, Dartguy said:

I'll be at the Rolex 24 the last week of January, I sure hope the Falcon Heavy ends up launching during that time!

That would be really cool. It's been my tradition for the last few years to stay up and watch the Rolex 24 while playing KSP. It would be even more awesome to see Falcon Heavy launch at the same time.

I posted here a few weeks back that I applied for a job for SpaceX as an associate buyer. I didn't get the job but I got a reply. Not sure if it is generic or not, it doesn't appear to be.

Here is the Email-

Dear Joshua,

Thank you for your interest in a career with SpaceX. Unfortunately, we were unable to consider your application for Associate Buyer, as the position has been cancelled for revision.

We encourage you to continue to explore our careers page as this position is being revised and may be reposted in the near future. You are welcome to reapply at that time.

We appreciate your interest in SpaceX and wish you success in your job search.

Sincerely,

SpaceX Talent Acquisition

2 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Half Life 3 Re-used booster confirmed for this upcoming Dragon flight on the 8th.  :cool:

Thats in addition to the re-used Dragon capsule itself. 

Awesome! That's a pretty big endorsement  right there. From the linked article:

“We reviewed their requirements, and we basically looked at it and (asked) do we get the equivalent reliability from the reused booster that we would expect from a new booster, and the answer to that was yes,” Gerstenmaier said. “That’s why we accepted it."

56 minutes ago, KSK said:

Awesome! That's a pretty big endorsement  right there. From the linked article:

“We reviewed their requirements, and we basically looked at it and (asked) do we get the equivalent reliability from the reused booster that we would expect from a new booster, and the answer to that was yes,” Gerstenmaier said. “That’s why we accepted it."

But:

“In this case, we accepted it only on this particular flight. We did not accept it in a generic sense,” 

10 hours ago, harrisjosh2711 said:

I posted here a few weeks back that I applied for a job for SpaceX as an associate buyer. I didn't get the job but I got a reply. Not sure if it is generic or not, it doesn't appear to be.

Here is the Email-

Dear Joshua,

Thank you for your interest in a career with SpaceX. Unfortunately, we were unable to consider your application for Associate Buyer, as the position has been cancelled for revision.

We encourage you to continue to explore our careers page as this position is being revised and may be reposted in the near future. You are welcome to reapply at that time.

We appreciate your interest in SpaceX and wish you success in your job search.

Sincerely,

SpaceX Talent Acquisition

Good on you for trying!

At least they canceled the position before giving you the job. 

Anyways, you should probably look for a job related to CAD or 3D modeling!

"Elon Musk! Elon Musk? Did you order an Earth-shattering kaboom?"

Personally, I am hoping for a nice, clean launch, with just enough glitches that they learn what to improve to make it more secure in future. I have serious doubts about their ability to produce the BFR in any commercially sensible timeframe, and a Falcon-heavy option will add commercial value to the company.

26 minutes ago, Mitchz95 said:

That's, uh, ambitious.

Wait, is... is this still a joke or are they really going for it? (The Mars car thing).

There's got to be some major regulatory hurdles there, the stage would be out of comm/control at that point, so there's a risk of hitting the planet with something not sterilized...

It says the destination is "Mars orbit"... not oribiting Mars. And that the car will be in deep space for billions of years. I think they just mean to fling the car out to Mars' orbit where Mars ain't.

Edited by Brotoro

44 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

So that's what took them so long, certifying the car as space-worthy and figuring out how to mate it to the payload adapter.

Edit: Actually, that's probably how they killed time waiting for the pads to be ready.

You have to deflate the tires to 14 PSI before lift-off. And I believe the secondary battery needs to be sealed air-tight, also some ethylene glycol in the windshield wiper fluid or it will boil off. What else its got a big-ass battery, put some solar panels on it and a communication dish and antenna.