SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

To the website thing: I like SpaceFlightNow for looking up launches.

To the H-II launch: If it continues with no delays, it will be launched exactly 61 seconds after the Falcon 9 according to the launch times on SFN. Knowing Elon, he might try to move the launch back 61 seconds to have perfect sync... However this is an instantaneous launch window, so unfortunately won't happen.

To the whole "fins but no legs thing," good question. Maybe they want to expend the stage but try and soft land it in the ocean just because they want more data? Or is it something cooler? Or less cool?

3 hours ago, Ultimate Steve said:

I think I see a camera mount on the front there...

Stupid mobile. :huh:

All night I thought y'all were talking about that engine photo posted a page or two back. I was like, "why would they put a camera on an engine...?"

3 hours ago, tater said:

D24FE3q.gif

...taken with one huge grain of salt...

12 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

I know eh? It used to be one of my favourite sites, back when it had its own forum. Now it’s just another clickbait fest

I’m so looking forward to seeing and hearing 27 Merlin 1D’s firing up

Yeah, it was once my go-to site for exoplanets news and new space tech... now look at it.

Aluminium passivates itself if left uncoated. I'd think a paint is just additional weight. Must be another reason, or not ?

Edit: i think rockets are painted white mainly to increase reflectivity and avoid propellant heating and boiloff.

So again why do they leave it black ? Looks cool but heats more easily when standing on the launch and coasting in space ...

Edited by Green Baron

18 minutes ago, Green Baron said:

Aluminium passivates itself if left uncoated. I'd think a paint is just additional weight. Must be another reason, or not ?

Edit: i think rockets are painted white mainly to increase reflectivity and avoid propellant heating and boiloff.

So again why do they leave it black ? Looks cool but heats more easily when standing on the launch and coasting in space ...

The interstage isn't directly connected to any cryogenic tanks and is unlikely to get hot enough that its structural properties are compromised, so heating isn't much of a concern.

Further speculation suggests that one possible reason for keeping the grid fins on S1 is to control the descent and make sure the plummeting empty stage avoids the fairing recovery boats that will be out there.

EDIT: Doesn't explain why the mission patch shows a bare S1 with its engines firing, though. Maybe they will still do the entry burn to ensure structural integrity is maintained through entry?

Not super sexy, but makes sense.

Also, related -- Mr. Steven has left the harbor and is pushing south as fast as it can go.

From NSF article:

As Block 3 stages are only flown twice – at most – before they are retired, SpaceX has opted to fly Friday’s mission in an expendable configuration.

Has SpaceX ever actually come right out and stated that Block 3 stages can only be reflown a single time?

Edited by sevenperforce