SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

36 minutes ago, tater said:

I can only presume the original point was to limit the ability of private US firms to produce imagery that might compromise national security.

Right, because the picture from those two GoPros on the upper stage is just sooooo clear. :rolleyes:

[desire to throw tea into the harbor intensifies]

8 minutes ago, insert_name said:

Zubrin has proposed a lunar base plan launching on falcon 9 and falcon heavy

http://spacenews.com/op-ed-moon-direct-how-to-build-a-moonbase-in-four-years/

Sounds like a cool idea, SpaceX could do this if the BFR can't.

Lets get to the drawing board and see if it fits inside the fairing shall we?

1 minute ago, NSEP said:

Sounds like a cool idea, SpaceX could do this if the BFR can't.

Lets get to the drawing board and see if it fits inside the fairing shall we?

SpaceX could do this if NASA pays them to, regardless of BFR. Except NASA won’t, because it’ll make their SLS and LOP-G plans look totally stupid.

The current PAF is mass-limited so the mission should really be built around FH's TLI throw, not its LEO throw.

I don't know why Zubrin wants to drag earth injection burn propellant all the way to the lunar surface and back, let alone EOI propellant. That's nonsense.

13 minutes ago, sh1pman said:

I particularly like the last paragraph where he roasts SLS. :D

SLS roasting: the forum's official hobby.  Maybe instead of calling it the senate launch system like zubrin does, it should be called the Sheev Launch System.  The acronym still works out, and it sounds worse.

hqdefault.jpg

2 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

The current PAF is mass-limited so the mission should really be built around FH's TLI throw, not its LEO throw.

I don't know why Zubrin wants to drag earth injection burn propellant all the way to the lunar surface and back, let alone EOI propellant. That's nonsense.

Maybe he takes it all the way as a safty reason. If anything goes wrong ,  they have the fuel to go back.

If they have routine on the moon in fuel production and it's safe getting there, you don't need to take it anymore. Reducing the mass later.

1 minute ago, Nightfury said:

Maybe he takes it all the way as a safty reason. If anything goes wrong ,  they have the fuel to go back.

If they have routine on the moon in fuel production and it's safe getting there, you don't need to take it anymore. Reducing the mass later.

There is no abort. He proposes the dragon to stay in earth orbit and the return fuel is created on site by the astronauts. Sounds more like a KSP challenge than an actual proposal for a lunar landing architecture.

6 minutes ago, DAL59 said:

SLS roasting: the forum's official hobby.  Maybe instead of calling it the senate launch system like zubrin does, it should be called the Sheev Launch System.  The acronym still works out, and it sounds worse.

hqdefault.jpg

Then DSG is Darth Sidious’ Greed. 

8 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

It avoids the hassle and equipment required for LOR. But hauling LH2  to the Moon and back is the difficult part, keeping it liquid. Unless they use ACES tech, or lots of insulation.

What's the point of Moon Station anyway? I haven't questioned it until I read the article. More radiation? Newer technology?

If the answer is more radiation why not use more shielding? If it's the technology: I thought humans have landed there already?

It just feels like it's a step back not forward. And I know it's about staying there for longer than 2 days but then: why not bury the base in regolith?

Edited by Wjolcz

29 minutes ago, Nightfury said:

It actually ends up being less safe, because the crew's safety depends on LEO rendezvous with a waiting crew capsule for entry.

30 minutes ago, Canopus said:

There is no abort. He proposes the dragon to stay in earth orbit and the return fuel is created on site by the astronauts. Sounds more like a KSP challenge than an actual proposal for a lunar landing architecture.

As I understand it, the original version has return propellant included, presumably with the thought that they'd eventually upgrade to ISRU.

Hydrolox DOES give you a lot of margin in that department.

27 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

It avoids the hassle and equipment required for LOR. But hauling LH2  to the Moon and back is the difficult part, keeping it liquid. Unless they use ACES tech, or lots of insulation.

EOR after EOI is WAY more hassle and equipment than LOR with a single return burn.

10 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

@tater was spot on. This could be an issue going forward. 

What nonsense! 

17 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

@tater was spot on. This could be an issue going forward. 

This is actually good news- note that SpaceX HAS A LICENSE! Us space nerd can enjoy our complete coverage once again!

That was fast, though. I wonder if the certification process went quicker because they had already done this before?

It's still stupid,  IMO you should only need a license for a camera with a certain resolution or something. But this discussion sounds like it could get political, so maybe we shouldn't discuss it here.

5 minutes ago, ThatGuyWithALongUsername said:

This is actually good news- note that SpaceX HAS A LICENSE! Us space nerd can enjoy our complete coverage once again!

I'm not so sure. It sounds like the above says that SpaceX already had its license for today's launch, and one of the "conditions on their capability" was shutting down the feed past SECO-1.

5 minutes ago, ThatGuyWithALongUsername said:

That was fast, though. I wonder if the certification process went quicker because they had already done this before?

It's still stupid,  IMO you should only need a license for a camera with a certain resolution or something. But this discussion sounds like it could get political, so maybe we shouldn't discuss it here.

Very stupid.

3 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Ah, but the waiting Dragon can do the docking while the returning lander just holds steady. But hey, I'm just spitballing just as Zubrin was

Imagine you have an Apollo 13 style accident anytime after leaving LEO. There is no hope of ever attaining earth orbit again and free return is impossible since you aren't carrying a reentry capsule with you. The Dragon back at earth won't save you.