SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

13 hours ago, Beccab said:

I mean, many of those are weather related. The scrub before this one for instance

That fits in the "increasing launch rate" category. Fatally, the more launches you get the more weather issues will arise.

13 hours ago, Meecrob said:

No, rockets scrub for a million reasons. Why do you immediately assume it is an issue with the reuse feature, without finding out what happened?

Is it THAT crazy to formulate the hypothesis that the increase of the launch rate has somehow reached the beginning of something resembling a bottleneck? That's the limit I'm talking about.

I don't think so. SpaceX has the capacity to build more new boosters if there was an issue with refurbishing existing ones in time for their next launch.

The fact of the matter is that its a small miracle that any rockets launch at all; so many things have to go according to plan, or you risk a RUD. Imagine what your comment would be if this Falcon Heavy blew up on the pad, or shortly after liftoff because they were not as diligent with their checks.

5 hours ago, grawl said:

That fits in the "increasing launch rate" category. Fatally, the more launches you get the more weather issues will arise.

This is also one of the clever advantages of Boca Chica--a much drier and more stable climate. The coast of Kenya would make an amazing launch site but obviously Texas has the advantage of being close to a lot of tech and aerospace production capacity and experience. 

Edited by Pthigrivi

Two of the WB-57 views from the OFT got FOIA'd!

Engine rich combustion is much more spicy in these views. Cam 0 is probably the most metal thing I've seen all year. Kinda reminds me of the Atlas failure that was featured in Koyaanisquatsi. 

That was quite the deluge!

1 hour ago, StrandedonEarth said:

I’m gonna guess they can’t be removed without breaking them…

cant have an external fastener, and you cant bolt them on from the inside either. so you end up with a one way snap fit. though i wouldnt be surprised if they didnt have a reversible fastener design on the drawing board. such an invention would really speed up turn around times. 

Edited by Nuke

2 hours ago, Nuke said:

cant have an external fastener, and you cant bolt them on from the inside either. so you end up with a one way snap fit. though i wouldnt be surprised if they didnt have a reversible fastener design on the drawing board. such an invention would really speed up turn around times. 

Most of the tiles its no reason to remove unless damaged.  You have lifting lugs and some other stuff but they are in the cargo bay and here you have access to the inside but I guess you will mouth the tile of an frame who can be folded out. 

It occured to me that lack of the water/plate system in the first big test flight at least allowed good video data on the engine plumes and presumably IR imagery of the launch structures during launch.

The next test with the water system will mask much of that in vast amounts of billowing steam

View from above new water system test, slo-mo in second part is nice: https://youtu.be/xGHeWJIwKpo

Edited by darthgently

1 minute ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Prolly why they’re not selling these as souvenir hot plates. :(

Friend at an computer store made an 9 cpu hot plate.  at an time it was an trend to update 486 25 MHz to 66 MHz so we was left with piles of the 25 ones so he took an piece of soft wood and punched 9 into an board of wood. 

1 hour ago, magnemoe said:

Friend at an computer store made an 9 cpu hot plate.  at an time it was an trend to update 486 25 MHz to 66 MHz so we was left with piles of the 25 ones so he took an piece of soft wood and punched 9 into an board of wood. 

When I read "hot plate" I thought an active heating burner to cook food instead of a "trivet", lol.  Maybe a bun warmer could be done without cooking powered cpus...  hmmmm