SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

I just showed my father the animation for how Starship is supposed to work while sitting in our favorite booth at our favorite pizza place, and he just laughed and shook his head. Seems crazy that almost a decade ago, in the exact same booth, I showed him the animation for Falcon 9, to which he said it would never work... Think they landed their first booster two weeks later... 

FTS installation for IFT-1, April 14th, Launch (attempt) 17th, actual, 20th. 3-6 days.

IFT-2, November 11th. Launch, November 18th. 7 days.

If the trend holds, we must be about a week from launch! Not March 8th oddly, that, or they're either installing it very early, or they're just getting it ready.

Edit, this is just delivery, I'm reading that FTS was delivered on August 31st for IFT-2, but I could only find installation dates after some searching.

Edited by Spaceception
Jumped the gun here.

2 hours ago, tater said:

Love this!

On 2/15/2024 at 1:50 PM, tater said:
On 2/15/2024 at 1:06 PM, sevenperforce said:

Apropos of nothing, I have recently gotten a 3D printer and have gotten pretty good at messing around with it. I'm going to be printing this and assembling it with my 10-year-old for his birthday.

starship.png

I'll post photos once it is done!

7121-noice.png

Current progress:

Spoiler

printing-starship.jpg

Not as an engineer but as a lifelong student of art and art history this particular collaboration with Jeff Koons may well go down as the worst art piece of the 21st century. I can’t think of two people who could have more obviously outstripped their usefulness and exposed their profound lack of self-apprehension in a more illustrative way. Not sure if that’s something they were deliberately going for. Either way truly an embarrassment for the history books. Like image if Salvador Dali glued a urinal to the side of the Spruce Goose. This is basically that. 

https://www.apollo-magazine.com/jeff-koons-moon-rakewell/?amp=1

Edited by Pthigrivi

6 minutes ago, Pthigrivi said:

Not as an engineer but as a lifelong student of art and art history this particular collaboration with Jeff Koons may well go down as the worst art piece in of the 21st century. Not sure if that’s something they were deliberately going for. Either way truly an embarrassment for the history books. Like image if Salvador Dali glued a urinal to the side of the Spruce Goose. This is basically that. 

Also, a launch in about 15 minutes.

7 minutes ago, Pthigrivi said:

Not as an engineer but as a lifelong student of art and art history this particular collaboration with Jeff Koons may well go down as the worst art piece of the 21st century. I can’t think of two people who could have more obviously outstripped and exposed their lack of self-appreciation in a more illustrative way. Not sure if that’s something they were deliberately going for. Either way truly an embarrassment for the history books. Like image if Salvador Dali glued a urinal to the side of the Spruce Goose. This is basically that. 

https://www.apollo-magazine.com/jeff-koons-moon-rakewell/?amp=1

GGPu9ztXMAI1Iz7?format=jpg&name=large

Not entirely sure what metal that is, but perhaps the idea was to make something that could survive a medium velocity crash?

16 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

GGPu9ztXMAI1Iz7?format=jpg&name=large

Not entirely sure what metal that is, but perhaps the idea was to make something that could survive a medium velocity crash?

Like imagine if art and its commentary on how money corrupts free expression folded back on itself, like a person sticking their head into their own digestive system. This is the art-world version of that. But launched into space so that humans for all eternity could appreciate what self-absorbed, morally vacuous morons we all were in this moment on earth. 

Edited by Pthigrivi

8 minutes ago, Pthigrivi said:

Like imagine if art and its commentary on how money corrupts free expression folded back on itself, like a person sticking their head into their own digestive system. This is the art-world version of that. But launched into space so that humans for all eternity could appreciate what self-absorbed, morally vacuous morons we all were in this moment on earth. 

I think I'm missing something. Granted I'm not too great at looking at art much deeper than surface level right away, but could you explain what you find so objectionable?

My understanding is:

• Each stainless steel model of the Moon is either a phase as seen from Earth, a phase as seen from somewhere in space, or an eclipse
  • Each model is associated with an important person from history
  • Each model has a larger version that's staying on Earth with a gemstone to mark the landing site
  • Each model also has an NFT associated with it

Perhaps I'm missing some context, but the last bullet point is the only one I have any particular objection to.