SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

1 hour ago, NSEP said:

It suprised me that people still doubt it was a falcon 9, even though they streamed it live.

People are not terribly smart in general. This must be a sort of corrolary to the Gell-Mann effect. Seeing how dumb people are, then somehow caring what they think about other issues. /rant

13 minutes ago, tater said:

People are not terribly smart in general. This must be a sort of corrolary to the Gell-Mann effect. Seeing how dumb people are, then somehow caring what they think about other issues. /rant

I was going to say, people mistake the draw hardware on a Venetian blind for UFO's so its not surprising that something outside their house has more credibility to them.

Has the Tesla actually been teen tested and prepared for the forces of launch?

2 minutes ago, Cheif Operations Director said:

What static burn

Static burn of Falcon Heavy. Static burns are ground tests to make sure everything ignites and fires properly.

15 minutes ago, NSEP said:

Has the Tesla actually been teen tested and prepared for the forces of launch?

Launch is only a few gees.  Cars withstand far higher acceleration during crashes.  

6 minutes ago, DAL59 said:

Launch is only a few gees.  Cars withstand far higher acceleration during crashes.  

But what about the temperatures and heat exposures of the sun in space? Could that melt or jam whatever is playing Space Oddity?

Edited by NSEP

1 minute ago, NSEP said:

But what about the temperatures and heat exposures of the sun in space? Could that melt or jam whatever is playing Space Oddity?

Not could, will. Even the radio won't be able to keep cool very long. Any electronics on the car won't last more than a few minutes, I'd wager. The rest of the car won't stay pristine very long, either. But by that point, it won't matter. They won't be able to keep contact with it for more than a few hours, anyway.

2 minutes ago, mikegarrison said:

Cars *crush* during crashes. But a car should be able to handle a few gees without too many problems.

What about the longevity of the speakers in space (all the energy is deposited in the suspension) although I guess according to the laws of conservation, the energy no absorbed by the suspension should return back to the amplifyer as electricity.

3 minutes ago, PB666 said:

What about the longevity of the speakers in space (all the energy is deposited in the suspension) although I guess according to the laws of conservation, the energy no absorbed by the suspension should return back to the amplifyer as electricity.

Speakers have big magnets in them. With no power coming thru the lines to produce motion (speakers are really linear electric motors), that magnet will damp out any vibrations almost instantaneously (cuz a speaker would sound like crap if it didn't stop speaking when the current stopped).

8 minutes ago, NSEP said:

I think they should be more worried about the lack of air to play Space Oddity into...

The real question is will the speakers be loud enough to hear over 27 Merlin engines?

8 minutes ago, PB666 said:

I don't get the obsession with the idea of it playing music that literally cannot be heard. Anyway, I would think powered speakers would fail quickly in space. They would build up a lot of heat with very little way to radiate it.

20 minutes ago, mikegarrison said:

I don't get the obsession with the idea of it playing music that literally cannot be heard. Anyway, I would think powered speakers would fail quickly in space. They would build up a lot of heat with very little way to radiate it.

9814274.jpg

The whole thing is the "silliest thing imaginable" :wink: There's a significant chance the entire discussion is moot anyway cuz the car won't get high enough for any of it to matter.

36 minutes ago, mikegarrison said:

I don't get the obsession with the idea of it playing music that literally cannot be heard.

I agree, it's pretty silly on the face of it, kind of like "LETS MAEK THIS AS 3PIC AS POSSIBRU BOIS". I'd be much more impressed if they showed off a full-blown mass simulator to LEO, really show us the lifting power of Falcon Heavy. A sub-two-ton launch to Mars isn't very impressive.

20 minutes ago, regex said:

I agree, it's pretty silly on the face of it, kind of like "LETS MAEK THIS AS 3PIC AS POSSIBRU BOIS". I'd be much more impressed if they showed off a full-blown mass simulator to LEO, really show us the lifting power of Falcon Heavy. A sub-two-ton launch to Mars isn't very impressive.

Given the ambivalence about the thing even making it off the pad, now does not seem to be the time to push the envelope any further. :wink:

4 minutes ago, sh1pman said:

Silliest thing imaginable.

$10 says they tried, but Bezos told them to go pound sand. :D

Just now, CatastrophicFailure said:

Given the ambivalence about the thing even making it off the pad, now does not seem to be the time to push the envelope any further. :wink:

Who said it wouldn't make it off the pad? Seriously. I fully expect a successful launch and at least two successful landings from Space-X, they've certainly proven themselves in this arena and we're not talking about Cold-War era rush programs using untested technologies.