SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

1 hour ago, RealKerbal3x said:

The only thing I can think of when I look at that is all of those chrome 1950s sci-fi rockets that were supposed to be what the future looked like. Now SpaceX is making those dreams a reality. :D

I keep looking at it, and the Starship designs, and find myself thinking it isn't real, and Musk is just building props for a classic Flash Gordon theme park. Especially when I compare them to 60's era rockets that actually flew.

1 hour ago, Treveli said:

I keep looking at it, and the Starship designs, and find myself thinking it isn't real, and Musk is just building props for a classic Flash Gordon theme park. Especially when I compare them to 60's era rockets that actually flew.

Same.

Edit: I hope it doesn't end up like all the other revolutionary projects that were meant to change the spaceflight forever.

Edited by Wjolcz

1 hour ago, sevenperforce said:

Does anyone have eyes on legs yet?

I wouldn't expect the legs to be attached on time. It's all for the looks for now anyway.

2 minutes ago, sh1pman said:

lol, what a troll. 

What does this even mean? Is he dissing SpaceX, ULA, or both? Or maybe he's promising things will get done faster under his administration?

10 minutes ago, Wjolcz said:

What does this even mean? Is he dissing SpaceX, ULA, or both? Or maybe he's promising things will get done faster under his administration?

Pretty sure he’s dissing SpaceX here. Saying that they don’t work as hard on Commercial Crew as on Starship. Maybe he doesn’t like that all the hype is around Starship and not SLS.

Well, shots fired.

Edited by sh1pman

2 minutes ago, sh1pman said:

Pretty sure he’s dissing SpaceX here. Saying that they don’t work as hard on Commercial Crew as on Starship. Maybe he doesn’t like that all the hype is around Starship and not SLS.

Well, shots fired.

Yep.

Of course if SpaceX was allowed to build Dragon 2 in the middle of a field it might have been flying crew for two years now......

5 minutes ago, sh1pman said:

Well, shots fired.

His reaction when Starship puts a payload in orbit before SLS even sees the pad should be... interesting. 

1 minute ago, sevenperforce said:

Yep.

Of course if SpaceX was allowed to build Dragon 2 in the middle of a field it might have been flying crew for two years now......

Curse you, Like Drought of 2019.  :mad:

4 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

His reaction when Starship puts a payload in orbit before SLS even sees the pad should be... interesting.

“Call Boeing, tell them to build SLS in the middle of a field from now on!”

Wait... what if Boeing kidnapped him and made him write that statement?

Edited by sh1pman

I really hate the whole SpaceX vs NASA war thing. It's even worse when important people in high positions engage in it. They should really be cooperating.

At the same time I can understand this. There are politicians looking at all that, making decisions and questioning others' decisions.

One thing I'm afraid of is that somebody up there might decide it's illegal to build rockets any other place than the NASA VAB. I do believe people in charge are sensible enough not to do this but I just wouldn't be surprised.

Edited by Wjolcz

Just now, sh1pman said:

I don’t understand, SpaceX has been very useful to NASA over the years. Is it really worth it to throw a wrench into their relationship just to signal to some Shelby person?

Careful where you speak that name. The Senator of Huntsville Alabama has a long history of gutting any space program that looks at him sideways.

Well let’s see, Starship was largely built in a field by an army of skilled welders, of which there are lots. Dragons are built in presumably clean room conditions, by highly specialized technicians which are probably in short supply. Couple that with NASA paperwork and some testing anomalies, and things will go at a snail’s SLS pace. 

Such a beautiful machine...

Edited by StrandedonEarth

5 minutes ago, sh1pman said:

How does he have so much power over NASA and space policy?

Because most american politicians dont actually care about space programs beyond how many federal dollars are spent in their districts. Shelby had opinions.

Extremely weird quote from Bridenstine... It seems like it’s directed at SpaceX not a jab at politicians. Really weird statement! The more I read it the more I can’t figure out what’s the deal with it... why did this warrant some official statement and not just a quick tweet =/ why it seem backhanded, it’s strange coming from this guy since he’s a very diplomatic speaker usually.

Edited by Guest

41 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Well let’s see, Starship was largely built in a field by an army of skilled welders, of which there are lots. Dragons are built in presumably clean room conditions, by highly specialized technicians which are probably in short supply. Couple that with NASA paperwork and some testing anomalies, and things will go at a snail’s SLS pace. 

Such a beautiful machine...

This, one is rapid prototyping 1950 style, second is operating in an very bureaucratic environment as in NASA human spaceflight. 
Granted its reasons for these rigid rules, people has died after all. 
It probably be some friction between NASA and the spacex maned dragon program too because of different cultures to.