Blue Origin thread.

Vanamonde

1 hour ago, _Augustus_ said:

Pretty sure BO/VG/others will drive sounding rockets to extinction with reusable suborbital vehicles.

Depend on purpose, for zero-g qualifications it will, you can have far more bulky equipment, you can reuse it, you can even do maned launches in the future. 
This simplify lots of tests.

However some sounding rocket is for study the upper atmosphere in locations like the southern ozone hole or polar light, they can not be replaced. 

Others are for high speed testing 
Now you could use the new Shepard as an first stage, replace the pod with an interstate and perhaps an fairing or cargo hold. 

1 hour ago, magnemoe said:

However some sounding rocket is for study the upper atmosphere in locations like the southern ozone hole or polar light, they can not be replaced. 

That market is so small that I don't think the demand will be sufficient. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hydrostatic pump bearings you say? Now there's a spacecraft engine that needs a good set of hydrospanners for maintenance. :) 

And on a serious note, I'm not sure what all those words mean but the ones I do understand - sound good!

20 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Heh. That other rocket company has a good day, so of course BO just has to have a “me too!” I got $10 says they’re really even further along, but have a small stockpile of blurbs like this ready to go when needed... <_<

Do we count test firings in which an improved ISP is reported but not quantified.

21 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Apparently they have their own landing pad drone now. Looks marginally more functional than those other guy's giant roomba... :D

"Blue2D2"...I sense a theme here...

But what is it doing?

45 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Apparently they have their own landing pad drone now. Looks marginally more functional than those other guy's giant roomba... :D

Except hasn't the SpaceX robot actually attached itself to boosters to secure them? That's rather more functional than driving around with what looks to be a camera for inspection.

What happend to the Payload Capacity of New Glenn? Last time i checked it was 70 tons and now its 45 tons? Is it because of the different variants? Do i have bad memory? Should i go ask the doctor?

On 09/01/2018 at 10:46 PM, CatastrophicFailure said:

Whats the size of that little booger? Its hard to imagine that little skittle can carry a massive cosmos barrel like that.

59 minutes ago, NSEP said:

What happend to the Payload Capacity of New Glenn? Last time i checked it was 70 tons and now its 45 tons? Is it because of the different variants? Do i have bad memory? Should i go ask the doctor?

Expendable vs Reusable? First design draft vs production blueprint? Chickened out on the thrust?

Edited by StrandedonEarth

I'd trust the 45 ton figure more than the 70 ton figure. Based on published thrust values, New Glenn can't be more than about 1400 tons on the pad, for which 70 tons would be a fairly unreasonable 5% payload fraction. Still, even 45 tons puts the New Glenn firmly in the heavy lift category.

In general, I'm pretty excited for the New Glenn. While it's not the first highly-reusable orbital launch vehicle, it's arguably the better reusable HLV (Heavy Lift Vehicle) than the other company's reusable HLV, which has severe fairing volume limitations.

1 hour ago, NSEP said:

Whats the size of that little booger? Its hard to imagine that little skittle can carry a massive cosmos barrel like that.

If a nozzle never leaves that atmosphere it can be quite small and do the job. This can be deceiving but you have to look at the area of the nozzle inlet.

Edited by PB666

1 hour ago, Starman4308 said:

In general, I'm pretty excited for the New Glenn. While it's not the first highly-reusable orbital launch vehicle, it's arguably the better reusable HLV (Heavy Lift Vehicle) than the other company's reusable HLV, which has severe fairing volume limitations.

That other company has its HLV ready and waiting on the pad, while New Glenn is years away from flying.

And by the time it’s done, the other company is probably going to have an even bigger and heavier vehicle.

And 45t is for 2-stage variant, without the hydrogen-oxygen upper stage. We don’t have the numbers for three-stage rocket yet.

The 82-meter-tall rocket will have the capacity to lift 45 tons to low Earth orbit and an impressive 13 tons to geostationary transfer orbit. The two-stage rocket should be ready for its maiden flight by the end of 2019, company founder Jeff Bezos said.

82-meters height corresponds to two stages with payload fairing. Three stage rocket will be 95m high.

Edited by sh1pman

• 4 weeks later...