KSP Interstellar Extended Continued Development Thread

FreeThinker

15 hours ago, Thobewill10 said:

Oh I thought the turbojet could function in vacuum as well. Is that the ramjet? 

The reason you get no thrust is because your engine does not produce enough static thrust to overcome the atmospheric pressure. Notice the atmospheric threshhold is 75 kN but the engine max thrust is only 40.44 kN Which means you are about 35 kN short of power to produce any noticable power. You will notice that as you gi gifher, the treshhold will drop which eventulay allows you to generate a net thrust. THe trick is to use (free) atmpheric mode to speed up to maximum speed before you switch to propellant mode to get into orbit. Notice the Turbo Ramjet  is similar, but offers higher maximum thrust at high speed for lower thrust at low speed and less manouverability.

The Turbojet/Turbojet are Hybrid engine, They can  operate either in an atmosphere or in vacuum, which is realy awesome but it can only do under certain condition which means in atmospher mode it requires airintakes insite an atmosphere   while propellant mode works best in a vacuum environment. It might also be able to operate in an atmosphere but  and might not even function at sea level due to high static atmospheric presure. Notice there are other engine which are better suided for lauches, the thermal lauch nozzle, which is a lot havier but it's tigher exaust allows is to generate most of it thust even at sea level atmospheric preasure.

Edited by FreeThinker

Hey folks,

Thanks for making this mod, indeed worthy of being called Thee Mod. However... Despite having researched every node, I can never upgrade anything above mk2. Is this really the way it's supposed to be? I've had this problem in every install ever, both career and sandbox and science. I'll reinstall everything again and post screenshots if you want. I'm currently using a mac that for whatever reason doesn't want to run ckan even with the recommended mono framework installed(the gui flashes, then it crashes-this is off the point), so all mods are manually installed. KSP through steam. I've tried to find information about this through internet searching, but I can't, this leads me to suspect that the problem is at my end.

If indeed the radiators cannot be upgraded further, could I humbly ask for an explanation of the different stats of radiators? Or at least point to one. Unless it turns out that there is some part of the installation that I've missed or whatever other noobishness I'll need to understand them a lot better in order to build the kind of oversized QSR-powered top tier stuff I want. Most importantly, what exactly is the function/effect of the stat Core Heat xFer, and does the radiator have to be attached directly to the core for it to have that effect? The QSR doesn't allow surface attachments(is this a bug?), so that would be a bummer. I'm not great at math, a casual explanation of it's relationship to maximum radiated waste heat(which I guess is the crucial stat that the thermal helper uses?) would do. I've tried to make sense of the Waste Heat Management wiki page on GitHub, but it doesn't really cover what I'm after as far as I can tell. Also, what does convection bonus signify?

I asked at reddit once, but they just told me to go here and I found nothing relevant. Sorry if this has been discussed since then, just tell me the page number in that case, I only looked through the latest ones.

Hope for a quick reply!

PS Convection bonus is the bonus from being in an atmosphere 5 more seconds of GitHub reading told me, so never mind that. DS

Edited by kupsna
Factual falt

@kupsna regarding the radiators the following starts matter, surface area, maximum temperature, mass and type (folding, static or surface) and tech. Graphite radiators offer higher maximum temperature and their effective area is upgraded with nanoleathing (see OP). In general, folding radiators are heavier than  static radiator which are heavier than surface/skin radiators. The radiator that are unlocked the last receive an additional mass reduction (Large Graphite Radiator, and Unbrella radiator)

Hey, I don't really want to get onto your nerves more, but is it normal that Mechjeb refuses to show me any Delta V readouts when I have an ATTILA engine on my ship?

Oh and by the way, if you need anything done in german (wiki pages for example), I am your mate :D 

24 minutes ago, Shikashi said:

Hey, I don't really want to get onto your nerves more, but is it normal that Mechjeb refuses to show me any Delta V readouts when I have an ATTILA engine on my ship?

Oh and by the way, if you need anything done in german (wiki pages for example), I am your mate :D 

Mechjeb  probably get's confused because the dynamic Isp. ATILLA is a Adjustable Throtte Inductively Afterbuning Arcjet, which means it is a 2 step engine with a optional Arcjet Afterburner  which will increase the thrust as the cost of Isp and electric efficiency. Also thrust depends on atmospheric condition. There are just too many variables. The engine is main mend for moon lander, preferably powered by with microwave transmission

Edited by FreeThinker

1 minute ago, Shikashi said:

Ah exactly not how I use it :D 
I actually use it to maneuver around the jool system and get back to kerbin, this mod just enables me to go further than duna

Well at a lower techlevel , it can defiantly be used this way. At higher techlevels you are advice to use more advanced engine/reactor with higher Isp

1 minute ago, Shikashi said:

Yeah, trying to inch my way forward to fusion engines. Ehm, do you have steam? Maybe talking there might be more comfortable

B the whay, you could try the following trick to make mechjeb work with MechJeb

Open part1.cfg in AugmentedArcjet

replace

atmosphereCurve
 	{
   	 	key = 0 2854
	}

with

atmosphereCurve
 	{
   	 	key = 0 2854
		key = 1 0
	}

Hope it helps

The way I typically build my ships is a delta-wing spaceplane design similar to the US space shuttle but not exactly... I use thermal ramjets attached to antimatter reactors for main propulsion since their ISP is really high.  I sometimes use thermal turbojets for extra boost at low speed or higher thrust when needed, but they waste a lot of fuel.  I use ATILLA for VTOL engines though, because they respond instantly.  Mods like Diazo's vertical speed control, TCA, Davon Throttle Control, etc, have a VERY hard time working with the TTJ/TRJ from KSPIE as they don't respond instantly, and so they are not a good choice for VTOL.  ATILLA will generate a lot of heat however.

In fact, @FreeThinker that heat problem I reported a while back.. it's.. weird.  It only happens on some craft.  Some seem to be consistent, some will generate no wasteheat until you save/reload and then they generate a *lot*.  I thought it was due to the presence/absence of a warp drive, but that doesn't seem to be it either.  I'm not sure what the difference is between ships that do this and ones that don't.  In either case however I'm still having overheat issues with an ATILLA running my reactor at about 70% utilization, thermal helper in SPH is fully in the green, but wasteheat builds faster than I can radiate it, with radiators all extended.  Not sure what all factors into that or if I'm doing something wrong.

Anyway, the "formula for success" above has let me build SSTO VTOL spaceplanes anywhere from 50t to over 1500t - it's a very effective design and I've based pretty much my entire space program on this basic design philosophy :)

3 hours ago, ss8913 said:

The way I typically build my ships is a delta-wing spaceplane design similar to the US space shuttle but not exactly... I use thermal ramjets attached to antimatter reactors for main propulsion since their ISP is really high.  I sometimes use thermal turbojets for extra boost at low speed or higher thrust when needed, but they waste a lot of fuel.  I use ATILLA for VTOL engines though, because they respond instantly.  Mods like Diazo's vertical speed control, TCA, Davon Throttle Control, etc, have a VERY hard time working with the TTJ/TRJ from KSPIE as they don't respond instantly, and so they are not a good choice for VTOL.  ATILLA will generate a lot of heat however.

In fact, @FreeThinker that heat problem I reported a while back.. it's.. weird.  It only happens on some craft.  Some seem to be consistent, some will generate no wasteheat until you save/reload and then they generate a *lot*.  I thought it was due to the presence/absence of a warp drive, but that doesn't seem to be it either.  I'm not sure what the difference is between ships that do this and ones that don't.  In either case however I'm still having overheat issues with an ATILLA running my reactor at about 70% utilization, thermal helper in SPH is fully in the green, but wasteheat builds faster than I can radiate it, with radiators all extended.  Not sure what all factors into that or if I'm doing something wrong.

Anyway, the "formula for success" above has let me build SSTO VTOL spaceplanes anywhere from 50t to over 1500t - it's a very effective design and I've based pretty much my entire space program on this basic design philosophy :)

What I suspect what might be reason is a initialization issue where the amount of wasteheat suddenly does not fit in the dynamicly shrunk storage, causing the whle system to overheat.

for some reason the Daedalus engine keeps overheating and exploding when ever i put the throttle on, i have 3 medium folding radiators added by your mod, and its attached too a 3.75m heatshield, but it still just keeps blowing up due too overheating.

7 hours ago, 123nick said:

for some reason the Daedalus engine keeps overheating and exploding when ever i put the throttle on, i have 3 medium folding radiators added by your mod, and its attached too a 3.75m heatshield, but it still just keeps blowing up due too overheating.

Have you instaled Near Future Electrics?

Version 1.9.7 for Kerbal Space Program 1.1.3

Released on 2016-07-16

• Sharpened Texture Daedalus (credits SilverSilver)
  • Fixed twisting behavior Semi Foldable Radiator
  • Fixed low Isp Tokamak Fusion Engine
  • Fixed Possible Unstable performance Radiators
  • Fixed known issues with Near Future Electrics, slow startup, overheating,  low thrust, USI Reactors
  • Increased initial size Daedalus, D-T Vista, QSR to 5m
Edited by FreeThinker

Wow this new nuclear salt reactor is going to have 8000 ISP with Water?

I heard somewhere that, if you have x ISP engine, then getting more than 10x - 15x DV from single stage is inefficient (not counting refueling), so for this new water only engine/reactor you can get 80 000 - 120 000 m/s of DV

Such engine would allow you to fly to moon in one day, wonder if its capable to reach Mars in few weeks.

10 minutes ago, raxo2222 said:

Wow this new nuclear salt reactor is going to have 8000 ISP with Water?

I heard somewhere that, if you have x ISP engine, then getting more than 10x - 15x DV from single stage is inefficient (not counting refueling), so for this new water only engine/reactor you can get 80 000 - 120 000 m/s of DV

Such engine would allow you to fly to moon in one day, wonder if its capable to reach Mars in few weeks.

Yes, but the engine will have the serious limitation that your not allowed to use it in atmospheres except inside gas giants. Even though it will use water as a open cycle, It will still produce about 2% Wasteheat from leaked neutrons. Which you need to get rid of using radiators.

Although the orginal desiign state it stores the nuclear salt water in borated tubes. It seems to me it could be stored more efficiently if you keep the water and uranium salt separated until you need it.

Can I suggest to sort reactors table by unlock technology just on list like this?

Its bit weird to see fission tech mixed with fusion, as cost is no longer valid way to sort reactor/engine table, since some reactors can be as tiny as 0.625m and others are bigass and have 5m size.

Since you listed tech like this, reactors and engines should be listed like this (by unlock tech)  too.

Here is small slideshow showing all engines and reactors in this mod.

There are 2 magnetic nozzles.....

Edit:

Don't forget to update MFT patch - added Kerosene, UF4 and Diborane to it.

// Modular Fuel Tanks Config by Trolllception

@TANK_DEFINITION[Default,Fuselage,Balloon,Structural]
        {
                TANK
                {
                        name = ArgonGas
                        mass = 0.000625
                        amount = 0.0
                        maxAmount = 0.0
                        utilization = 56.0
                        note = (pressurized)
                }
                TANK
                {
                        name = HTP
                        amount = 0.0
                        utilization = 5.41
                        maxAmount = 0.0
                }
                TANK
                {
                        name = KryptonGas
                        amount = 0.0
                        maxAmount = 0.0
                        utilization = 5.41
                        note = (pressurized)
                }
                TANK
                {
                        name = NeonGas
                        amount = 0.0
                        maxAmount = 0.0
                        utilization = 5.41
                        note = (pressurized)
                }
                TANK
                {
                        name = Hydrazine
                        amount = 0.0
                        maxAmount = 0.0
                        utilization = 5.41
                }
                TANK
                {
                        name = LqdHydrogen
                        amount = 0.0
                        maxAmount = 0.0
                        utilization = 5.41
                        note = (Refrigerated)
                }
                TANK
                {
                        name = LqdAmmonia
                        amount = 0.0
                        maxAmount = 0.0
                        utilization = 5.41
                }
                TANK
                {
                        name = LqdNitrogen
                        amount = 0.0
                        maxAmount = 0.0
                        utilization = 5.41
                        note = (Refrigerated)
                }        
                TANK
                {
                        name = LqdCO
                        amount = 0.0
                        maxAmount = 0.0
                        utilization = 5.41
                        note = (Refrigerated)
                }
                TANK
                {
                        name = LqdOxygen
                        amount = 0.0
                        maxAmount = 0.0
                        utilization = 5.41
                        note = (Refrigerated)
                }
                TANK
                {
                        name = LqdMethane
                        amount = 0.0
                        maxAmount = 0.0
                        utilization = 5.41
                        note = (Refrigerated)
                }
                TANK
                {
                        name = LqdCO2
                        amount = 0.0
                        maxAmount = 0.0
                        utilization = 5.41
                        note = (Refrigerated)
                }
                TANK
                {
                        name = Lithium
                        amount = 0.0
                        maxAmount = 0.0
                        utilization = 5.41
                }
                TANK
                {
                        name = LqdDeuterium
                        amount = 0.0
                        maxAmount = 0.0
                        utilization = .7
                }
                TANK
                {
                        name = LqdTritium
                        mass = 0.0009
                        amount = 0.0
                        maxAmount = 0.0
                        utilization = .8
                        note = (Shielded)
                }
                TANK
                {
                        name = LqdHelium
                        mass = 0.000625
                        utilization = 56
                        amount = 0.0
                        maxAmount = 0.0
                        fillable = false
                        note = (pressurized)
                }
                TANK
                {
                        name = EnrichedUranium
                        mass = 0.0009
                        amount = 0.0
                        maxAmount = 0.0
                        utilization = .8
                        note = (Shielded)
                }
                TANK
                {
                        name = ThF4
                        mass = 0.0009
                        amount = 0.0
                        maxAmount = 0.0
                        utilization = .8
                        note = (Shielded)
                }

TANK
                {
                        name = UF4
                        mass = 0.0009
                        amount = 0.0
                        maxAmount = 0.0
                        utilization = .8
                        note = (Shielded)
                }
                TANK
                {
                        name = UraniumNitride
                        mass = 0.0009
                        amount = 0.0
                        maxAmount = 0.0
                        utilization = .1
                        note = (Shielded)
                }
                TANK
                {
                        name = LqdHelium
                        mass = 0.000454
                        amount = 0.0
                        maxAmount = 0.0
                        loss_rate = 1.667794e-8
                        utilization = 7
                        note = (Refrigerated)
                }
                TANK
                {
                        name = Actinides
                        mass = 0.0009
                        amount = 0.0
                        maxAmount = 0.0
                }
                TANK
                {
                        name = DepletedFuel
                        mass = 0.00009
                        amount = 0.0
                        maxAmount = 0.0
                        fillable = false
                        utilization = .8
                }
                TANK
                {
                        name = Water
                        amount = 0.0
                        maxAmount = 0.0
                        utilization = 5.41
                }
                TANK
                {
                        name = LqdHe3
                        mass = 0.000625
                        utilization = 19
                        amount = 0.0
                        maxAmount = 0.0
                        loss_rate = 1.667794e-7
                        note = (refrigated)
                }
                TANK
                {
                        name = Boron
                        mass = 0.0009
                        amount = 0.0
                        maxAmount = 0.0
                }
                TANK
                {
                        name = Ore
                        mass = 0.0009
                        amount = 0.0
                        maxAmount = 0.0
                }
                TANK
                {
                        name = Aluminium
                        mass = 0.0009
                        amount = 0.0
                        maxAmount = 0.0
                }
                TANK
                {
                        name = Alumina
                        mass = 0.0009
                        amount = 0.0
                        maxAmount = 0.0
                }
                TANK
                {
                        name = Hexaborane
                        amount = 0.0
                        maxAmount = 0.0
                        utilization = 5.41
                }
                TANK
                {
                        name = SaltWater
                        amount = 0.0
                        maxAmount = 0.0
                        utilization = 5.41
                }
                TANK
                {
                        name = HeavyWater
                        amount = 0.0
                        maxAmount = 0.0
                        utilization = 5.41
                }
                TANK
                {
                        name = Uraninite
                        mass = 0.0009
                        amount = 0.0
                        maxAmount = 0.0
                }                    
                TANK
                {
                        name = Hydrates
                        mass = 0.0009
                        amount = 0.0
                        maxAmount = 0.0
                }
                TANK
                {
                        name = Lithium6
                        mass = 0.0009
                        amount = 0.0
                        maxAmount = 0.0
                }
                TANK
                {
                        name = Monazite
                        mass = 0.0009
                        amount = 0.0
                        maxAmount = 0.0
                }
                TANK
                {
                        name = Silicates
                        mass = 0.0009
                        amount = 0.0
                        maxAmount = 0.0
                }
                TANK
                {
                        name = Borate
                        mass = 0.0009
                        amount = 0.0
                        maxAmount = 0.0
                }
                TANK
                {
                        name = SolarWind
                        amount = 0.0
                        maxAmount = 0.0
                        utilization = 2.205
                        note = (Refrigerated)
                }                
                TANK
                {
                        name = Diborane
                        amount = 0.0
                        maxAmount = 0.0
                        utilization = 5.41
                }
               TANK
                {
                        name = Kerosene
                        amount = 0.0
                        maxAmount = 0.0
                        utilization = 5.41
                }
        }        
    @TANK_DEFINITION[Xenon]
        {
                TANK
                {
                        name = ArgonGas
                        //mass = 0.000625
                        amount = 0.0
                        maxAmount = 0.0
                        note = (pressurized)
                }
                TANK
                {
                        name = LqdHelium
                        //mass = 0.000625
                        utilization = 2
                        amount = 0.0
                        maxAmount = 0.0
                        fillable = false
                        note = (pressurized)
                }
                TANK
                {
                        name = HTP
                        amount = 0.0
                        maxAmount = 0.0
                }
                TANK
                {
                        name = KryptonGas
                        amount = 0.0
                        maxAmount = 0.0
                        note = (pressurized)
                }
                TANK
                {
                        name = NeonGas
                        amount = 0.0
                        maxAmount = 0.0
                        note = (pressurized)
                }
        }

@TANK_DEFINITION[ServiceModule]
        {
                TANK
                {
                        name = LqdMethane
                        amount = 0.0
                        maxAmount = 0.0
                        note = (Refrigerated)
                }
        }

@TANK_DEFINITION[RCS]
        {
                TANK
                {
                        name = Hydrazine
                        amount = 0.0
                        maxAmount = 0.0
                }
        }

Edited by raxo2222

5 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

Version 1.9.7 for Kerbal Space Program 1.1.3

Released on 2016-07-16

• Sharpened Texture Daedalus (credits SilverSilver)
  • Fixed twisting behavior Semi Foldable Radiator
  • Fixed low Isp Tokamak Fusion Engine
  • Fixed Possible Unstable performance Radiators
  • Fixed known issues with Near Future Electrics, slow startup, overheating,  low thrust, USI Reactors
  • Increased initial size Daedalus, D-T Vista, QSR to 5m

wow, thanks @FreeThinker :D 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.