KSP Interstellar Extended Continued Development Thread

FreeThinker

Hello,

I am attempting to understand efficient reactor usage. When I connect say, the Plasma Beam Core Antimatter reactor, to the Magnetohydrodynamic Electric generator, add a antimatter tank with fuel, and 6 large radiators to made the thermal helper happy, I am only seeming to generate kilowatts of power, let alone MW of GW. What am I doing wrong?

edit:  so.... I didn't realize you had to connect something that actually use the power for it to be utilized....adding a transducer and saw the difference

Edited by zanie420

I know I asked you this some time ago, and it seems like you sort of implemented it, but could you make super long distance communication devices. I think the farthest reaching communication device in KSPIE reaches 20 Tm, which is not even a single light year. Could you add antennas or other communication devices that can reach 1, 5, and even 10 ly? That would be a huge help, because it is currently impossible for anybody to reasonably send a probe to any of the planetary systems in Constellations.

If you don't want to do that for whatever reason, I'll just create some configs that change the distances of some of Interstellar Extended's antennas so that they can reach the stars.

5 hours ago, The Destroyer said:

Hey, so I just started using the stellarator. What is reactor embrittlement and how can I stop it?

embrittlement is damage from neutrons and to stop it use Boron-Hydrogen or pure Helium 3 fusion.

@FreeThinker

If I want to have powerplant on Moon - a Stellatron using pure He3 for fusion and I want to transmit all energy to relays orbiting Earth at 36 000 km at geostationary orbits, then what beams I should use for maximum efficiency of energy transmission from Moon to surface of Earth?

-------------------------- Moon surface

B                 Powerplant on Moon, converting power to beam. 380 000 km from Earth

R                Relays, bouncing beams between each other, receiving energy from lunar powerplant and transmitting it to Earths surface.

They are 36 000 km from earth on geostationary orbit.

V                           Receiving vessel, <300 km above Earth - may be even launching or flying in atmosphere

-------------------------------- Earth surface

1 hour ago, raxo2222 said:

embrittlement is damage from neutrons and to stop it use Boron-Hydrogen or pure Helium 3 fusion.

@FreeThinker

If I want to have powerplant on Moon - a Stellatron using pure He3 for fusion and I want to transmit all energy to relays orbiting Earth at 36 000 km at geostationary orbits, then what beams I should use for maximum efficiency of energy transmission from Moon to surface of Earth?

-------------------------- Moon surface

B                 Powerplant on Moon, converting power to beam. 380 000 km from Earth

R                Relays, bouncing beams between each other, receiving energy from lunar powerplant and transmitting it to Earths surface.

They are 36 000 km from earth on geostationary orbit.

V                           Receiving vessel, <300 km above Earth - may be even launching or flying in atmosphere

-------------------------------- Earth surface

It very much depends on the aperture diameter of the transmitter and the receiving vessel receiver type and receiver diameter. In the future I intend to add some optimal transmission wavelength helper in which you select the target vessel, and it will automatically select the most optimal wavelength. For now you have to manually try and see what works best

Edited by FreeThinker

1 minute ago, FreeThinker said:

It very much depends and the aperture diameter of the transmitter and the receiving vessel receiver type and diameter. In the future I intend to add some optimal transmission wavelength helper in which you select the target vessel, and it will automatically select the most optimal wavelength. For now you have to manually try and see what works best

I used biggest multibandwith transmitter. Its aperture is 80 meters for 10m radius.

55 minutes ago, raxo2222 said:

I used biggest multibandwith transmitter. Its aperture is 80 meters for 10m radius.

Ah, you scaled up the large transmitter, that should be able to get it quite far, but it appears you play RSS, so you might going to need it

To calculate the spot-size, KSPI-E uses the following formula : Spot size = distance-to-spot * wavelength / (aperture diameter)

So let's calculate for different wavelengths

Long Infrared wavelength (80% efficiency)  : Spotsize = 380 000 000m * 0.000011 m / 80m = 52.25 m

Short Infrared wavelength (70% efficiency)  : Spotsize = 380 000 000m * 0.0000022m / 80m = 10.45 m

Near Infrared wavelength (65% efficiency)  : Spotsize = 380 000 000m * 0.0000012m / 80m = 5.7 m

So depending on your receiving vessel receiver diameter , you might want to adjust your wavelength accordingly

9 hours ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

I know I asked you this some time ago, and it seems like you sort of implemented it, but could you make super long distance communication devices. I think the farthest reaching communication device in KSPIE reaches 20 Tm, which is not even a single light year. Could you add antennas or other communication devices that can reach 1, 5, and even 10 ly? That would be a huge help, because it is currently impossible for anybody to reasonably send a probe to any of the planetary systems in Constellations.

If you don't want to do that for whatever reason, I'll just create some configs that change the distances of some of Interstellar Extended's antennas so that they can reach the stars.

I already added the long distance communication capability to the Beam transmitters, the biggest can reach 1.0e+14, which is 5 times as much as 20 Tm

Edit, oh, you need to go even further? 10 ly would mean a distance of 100 petaM  I will see i can add a MM script which adjust the maximum range further depending on installed mods.

Edited by FreeThinker

1 hour ago, FreeThinker said:

Ah, you scaled up the large transmitter, that should be able to get it quite far, but it appears you play RSS, so you might going to need to

To calculate the spot-size we use the following formula : Spot size = distance-to-spot * wavelength / (aperture diameter)

So let's calculate for different wavelengths

Long Infrared wavelength (80% efficiency)  : Spotsize = 380 000 000m * 0.000011 m / 80m = 52.25 m

Short Infrared wavelength (70% efficiency)  : Spotsize = 380 000 000m * 0.0000022m / 80m = 10.45 m

Near Infrared wavelength (65% efficiency)  : Spotsize = 380 000 000m * 0.0000012m / 80m = 5.7 m

So depending on your receiving vessel receiver diameter , you might want to adjust your wavelength accordingly

Yes I already added the long distance communication capability to the Beam transmitters, the biggest can reach 1.0e+14, which is 5 times as much as 20 Tm

So if I wanted to power tiny vessel with tiny receiver I should use UV light.

Red Light wavelength (40% efficiency)  : Spotsize = 380 000 000m * 0.000000700m / 80m = 3.325 m

Near Ultraviolet (45% efficiency)  (400 nm): 1.9 m

Vacuum Ultraviolet (30% efficiency) (110 nm): 0.52 m. Looks like these transmitters are better at compressing these beams... or is spotsize added radius to beam?

For example I use aperture of 80m to transmit vacuum ultraviolet beam, and this beam after traveling  380 000 km has radius of 80.52m?

Edited by raxo2222

24 minutes ago, raxo2222 said:

is spotsize added radius to beam?

No the spot size determines the diameter where the majority of power will be focused on. If your receiver diameter becomes smaller than the spot-size diameter, it will not be able to receiver all transmitted power, and therefore lose overall beamed power efficiency. Note there is something of a fudge factor which soften the effects of mismatch spot size and receiver diameter, but this will shrink over time ...

24 minutes ago, raxo2222 said:

Vacuum Ultraviolet (30% efficiency) (110 nm): 0.52 m. Looks like these transmitters are better at compressing these beams...

Yes, the smaller the transmission wavelength, the smaller the spot-size and therefore the longer its effective range will be for the same aperture and receiver diameter.

Edited by FreeThinker

Version 1.11.11 for Kerbal Space Program 1.2.2

Released on 2016-12-23

• Updated Module Manager
  • Added Support for Constellation Mode, increased transmission range by a factor of 1000
  • Fixed engine stability for thermal engine in atmospheric mode
  • Fixed repeating exception for VASIMR engine in flight
  • Fixed Cryo tanks boil-off message for unfocused vessels

I would love to harness the sun!

Can someone give me a good example of an decent power network setup than works? I have been reading/viewing guides and it all seems out of date for the most part. I was able to finally understand how to put a reactor and generator together (in this case, a dusty+magento) on the surface first and get it to transmit. I then put it in a 100km circular orbit. Next I put up 3 relays with the deployable transceiver, rcs, and some radiators, in 700km orbits at 120 degrees from each other, activated link and set to relay. This seems to provide me just shy 1gw of power out of the 2.4gw or so available from my power plant with a vessel equipped with a receiver. So obviously I am missing something when it comes to getting the best reception. The guides I have followed up to this point make it plain I should be able to launch a vessel with beamed power. I have been trying to accomplish this, but the only thruster/engine I can get off the launchpad is the Atilla.

It would be fantastic if someone could write up a Beamed Power for Dummies......

1 hour ago, zanie420 said:

I would love to harness the sun!

Can someone give me a good example of an decent power network setup than works? I have been reading/viewing guides and it all seems out of date for the most part. I was able to finally understand how to put a reactor and generator together (in this case, a dusty+magento) on the surface first and get it to transmit. I then put it in a 100km circular orbit. Next I put up 3 relays with the deployable transceiver, rcs, and some radiators, in 700km orbits at 120 degrees from each other, activated link and set to relay. This seems to provide me just shy 1gw of power out of the 2.4gw or so available from my power plant with a vessel equipped with a receiver. So obviously I am missing something when it comes to getting the best reception. The guides I have followed up to this point make it plain I should be able to launch a vessel with beamed power. I have been trying to accomplish this, but the only thruster/engine I can get off the launchpad is the Atilla.

It would be fantastic if someone could write up a Beamed Power for Dummies......

I will, as soon the new system is complete and I understand how it works.

I would love to be helpful. I am a stay at home father, and have a large amount of time on my hands that most people don't. I am truthfully, obsessed with KSP. I had seen reviews, and enjoyed the demo significantly. When the price came down recently, I finally took advantage, and have been playing non-stop :)  I am running both windows and linux.

I just need direction. Figuring out things for myself, while ultimately effective, is far from expedient. If I could actually contribute.... why that would be great!

1 hour ago, zanie420 said:

I would love to be helpful. I am a stay at home father, and have a large amount of time on my hands that most people don't. I am truthfully, obsessed with KSP. I had seen reviews, and enjoyed the demo significantly. When the price came down recently, I finally took advantage, and have been playing non-stop :)  I am running both windows and linux.

I just need direction. Figuring out things for myself, while ultimately effective, is far from expedient. If I could actually contribute.... why that would be great!

I'm far from the most experienced modder but the best place to start is to learn Blender. You'll also need Unity for exporting to KSP. I and plenty of other people here can answer questions. :D

I do have some ideas for mods that may make the game more accessible to some younger players that have grown up loving open world/sandbox environments. However, that being said, I need to actually UNDERSTAND the game mechanics, or physics I suppose, first! LOL.

I really enjoyed Nansuchao's Kolonists post, and it is kind of how I want to play the game. I have yet to install any extra-solar pack, because I fear I don't properly grasp everything I need to, in order to leave the SOI of Kerbin's sun yet :(  The beamed power network ensnared my scrutiny lately and I have spent the better part of 48 hours, trying to figure it out. By mostly trial and error in sandbox.

On 12/15/2016 at 2:51 AM, FreeThinker said:

Interesting concept, and I agree with you that a circum solar system particle accelerator would indeed be interstellar "worthy" endeavor. But instead of a circumvent at Jupiter, it would make more sense to circumvent it at a distance halfway between the sun and mercury as it allows it to be fully powered by the sun itself (see my 50 GW solar power sat station). Now the question is, what would be the benefit be? Although the potential for a science experiment would be great in itself, it would be largely irrelevant as there would be many ways of gaining science. Now the collision of particles at many time the power of the LHC might give us access to physics that are currently simply out of our reach. At the moment I can think of 2 things, miniature black holes and Exotic matter. The miniature black hole would be useful to initiate the (existing) quantum singularity reactor and the exotic matter would be a fuel source for the alcubiere warp drive. Currently they just require a lot of power to get started, but how these substances or effects are actually created was essentially handwavium. A Circum Solar Particle Accelerate might make it more realistic. It would be a nice stepping stone for the player to overcome, before you can warp to another solar system, you first need to build a quantum singularity reactor and breed enough exotic matter to make the jump ..

I want to see!

5 minutes ago, zanie420 said:

I do have some ideas for mods that may make the game more accessible to some younger players that have grown up loving open world/sandbox environments. However, that being said, I need to actually UNDERSTAND the game mechanics, or physics I suppose, first! LOL.

I really enjoyed Nansuchao's Kolonists post, and it is kind of how I want to play the game. I have yet to install any extra-solar pack, because I fear I don't properly grasp everything I need to, in order to leave the SOI of Kerbin's sun yet :(  The beamed power network ensnared my scrutiny lately and I have spent the better part of 48 hours, trying to figure it out. By mostly trial and error in sandbox.

Thanks for your kind words. I'm glad someone enjoyed Road to Kolonists as much as I did. Sadly the english version is less than half than the italian one, but the save was broken due to an update and so was pointless to continue the translation.

The current, new beam power network is still obscure for me too, and I don't know how many parts or features it miss to be complete. However, for any help, I'm glad to help as much as I can.

1 minute ago, Nansuchao said:

Thanks for your kind words. I'm glad someone enjoyed Road to Kolonists as much as I did. Sadly the english version is less than half than the italian one, but the save was broken due to an update and so was pointless to continue the translation.

The current, new beam power network is still obscure for me too, and I don't know how many parts or features it miss to be complete. However, for any help, I'm glad to help as much as I can.

I actually google translated the Italian because I was intrigued :)

32 minutes ago, zanie420 said:

I want to see!

RPcBZuy.png

This is an old image, I'm thinking of giving the Solar Thermal Collector the Nickname of "Icarus", for obvious reasons :wink:

note that the 5000 m2 radiator  should be horizontal for maximum radiator performance, this had already been fixed in the current version.

Future version will also be able to harvest solar wind, which will be useful for gathering propellant and rare isotopes like Tritium and Helium3, it is currently under development by EvilGeorge.

2 hours ago, Nansuchao said:

I will, as soon the new system is complete and I understand how it works.

Well if there is anything specifically you want to know you should just ask.

Edited by FreeThinker

10 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

RPcBZuy.png

This is an old image, I'm thinking of giving the Solar Thermal Collector the Nick name of "Icarus", for obvious reasons :wink:

note that the 5000 m2 radiator  should be horizontal for maximum radiator performance, this had already been fixed in the current version.

Future version will also be able to harvest solar wind, which will be useful for gathering propellant and rare isotopes like Tritium and Helium3, it is currently under development by EvilGeorge.

I cannot wait to try this.....

Any chance you can thumb sketch the build/part list? Or better yet, provide a craft file? I am salivating!

13 minutes ago, zanie420 said:

I cannot wait to try this.....

Any chance you can thumb sketch the build/part list? Or better yet, provide a craft file? I am salivating!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5n7hw0ony0hc4fb/Solar Power Station.craft?dl=0

This is an unconventional craft the say the least, the reason is that collector need to be aimed at the Sun at all times!, othereise it melts! Notige the center of mass is next the the engine, this allows it to accelerate from the side will under time acceleration.

1 minute ago, FreeThinker said:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5n7hw0ony0hc4fb/Solar Power Station.craft?dl=0

This is an unconventional craft the say the least, the reason is that collector need to be aimed at the Sun at all times!, othereise it melts! Notige the center of mass is next the the engine, this allows it to accelerate from the side will under time acceleration.

So do I need Persistent Rotation enabled for the Behemoth to work? How do you keep it aimed at the sun?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.